CudaText

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
nov79

CudaText

Postby nov79 » Feb 29, 2020 6:29

I found an interesting editor, CudaText: http://www.uvviewsoft.com/cudatext/

But it's only supports Great Cow Basic lexer. Anyone able to adapt it to create a FreeBasic lexer?
MrSwiss

Re: CudaText

Postby MrSwiss » Feb 29, 2020 14:22

nov79 wrote:... Anyone able to adapt it to create a FreeBasic lexer?
The question is more like: is anyone willing to ... (ability is at best the smaller part of it).
Probable answer: No
Reason: FBC itself contains the probably best lexer (for FB code) and therefore,
the interrest in "reinventing the wheel" is most likely, close to zero/nil.

Have a look at the FBC source's at SourceForge or GitHub.
nov79

Postby nov79 » Feb 29, 2020 16:26

MrSwiss wrote:
nov79 wrote:... Anyone able to adapt it to create a FreeBasic lexer?
The question is more like: is anyone willing to ... (ability is at best the smaller part of it).
Probable answer: No
Reason: FBC itself contains the probably best lexer (for FB code) and therefore,
the interrest in "reinventing the wheel" is most likely, close to zero/nil.

Have a look at the FBC source's at SourceForge or GitHub.

What? CudaText's lexer is just syntax highlighting support. I don't know why they called it "lexer" but I think it's definitely different from the "lexer" you are talking about.

We already have syntax highlighting support for Geany. I asked if we could add syntax highlighting support for CudaText, too. Both Geany and CudaText are good text editor and the most important is, they are truly cross platform (they are available everywhere, from Windows, to Linux, BSD, Solaris, and with CudaText may be HaikuOS, too, thanks to the Free Pascal compiler and the Lazarus LCL).
badidea

Postby badidea » Feb 29, 2020 17:21

I just installed CudaText 1.96.0.2 for linux 64-bit.
The first problem I encounter is how to set the compiler to use.
The wiki manual mentions: menu "Tools / Config..."
But I do not have a menu item that looks like that.

It also write this in the console:
NOTE: No Python 3 engine found. Python plugins don't work now. To fix this:
write option "pylib__linux" to user.json. See info in default config: Options / Settings-default.

No idea what all that means.

Edit: python issue fixed. I added to user.json:
"pylib__linux": "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.6m.so.1",
Last edited by badidea on Feb 29, 2020 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
MrSwiss

Postby MrSwiss » Feb 29, 2020 18:25

nov79 wrote:What? CudaText's lexer is just syntax highlighting support. I don't know why they called it "lexer" but I think it's definitely different from the "lexer" you are talking about.
That is clearly an ambigous use of a well defined meaning, which I'd call a "Language specific Template".
Therefore, it is important to use "well understood" terms, to describe the issue (as done in the second post).

nov79 wrote:I asked if we could add syntax highlighting support for CudaText, too.
You can do that, whenever you feel like it ... (I'm not interested, in that Editor).
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Feb 29, 2020 19:42

View
lexers
vbscript
Is close to fb syntax.

I see no way to access fbc.exe, although it looks like an ide.
It seems a bit like notepad2.
I maybe need to get plugins.
windows.(I got the 64 bit download)
Thank you anyway.
badidea

Postby badidea » Feb 29, 2020 20:37

Not too enthusiastic about this editor yet. Response it sometimes quite slow. Seems to rely a lot on plugins.
I have the "tools" menu now. Had to install "ExtTools" first via: "Plugins, Addons Manager, Install..."
Then get I long list in a tiny window that cannot be resized and a search function that does not seem to work properly.
Now I have to figure out how to use this tools menu...

Almost there, but not working yet:
(ignore the typo)

But this editor starts to annoy me more:
- Encountered more windows that are too small for the contents and cannot be resized
- There is some aggressive keyboard hijacking going on. Taking the picture above was complicated.
- Windows move around in a ways that it don't expect.

I think that I will join MrSwiss and say "No thanks".
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Feb 29, 2020 23:24

I do like pascal in it's pure language form (as FreeBASIC).
Powerful and fast.
But I dislike that black box pascal as per Lazarus.
Everything is plucked out of libraries (units).
And 90% of the code snippets in the Lazarus forum don't even show what you should use, just snatches of code, and the user is required to be so indoctrinated in these black box libraries that he/she automatically knows the units to load.
So I am not 100% surprised that a Lazarus project could be inclined to be a bit buggy.
nov79

Postby nov79 » Mar 01, 2020 18:42

CudaText might not be a good editor. But I appreciate it because it's truly cross platforms. It available for very exotic platforms where other better editors don't, and it has syntax highlighting support for very exotic language that not available with other editors. I use some exotic languages so I have to use Cuda.

Yes, Geany surely comparable to CudaText about cross platforms. But thanks to the FPC + Lazarus combo CudaText could be able to cover HaikuOS, too, where GTK based software like Geany can't reach.

p/s: I usually got message warning about memory corruption on CudaText and it asked me if I choose to risk corrupt data in memory or to abort to quit the program. The first time it's scary, though. But I also got these similar message from the Lazarus IDE itself so it's become familiar. I know they have the heaprtc unit to check for memory leak but I could sure there should be many memory leaks in both Lazarus and Cuda. I have never got any data corruption from them, though. So I would continue to use them anyway.
marcov

Postby marcov » Mar 09, 2020 19:15

dodicat wrote:So I am not 100% surprised that a Lazarus project could be inclined to be a bit buggy.

Actually, CudaText is mostly 3rd party.
Alextp

Postby Alextp » Sep 15, 2020 10:55

I just googled this forum topic, sorry for delay.
I am author of CudaText.
I created the FreeBasic lexer, see
http://synwrite.sourceforge.net/forums/ ... 181#p14181
You may comment about its work here or there, on CudaText forum, or on GitHub https://github.com/Alexey-T/CudaText/issues

I also don't get idea what is wrong with CudaText "small windows which appear at wrong places", tell me details, how to see it, to fix it. Need steps, how to repeat the issue.

Return to “Community Discussion”