Windows 10 updates

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
TeeEmCee

Re: Windows 10 updates

Postby TeeEmCee » May 14, 2018 5:09

D.J.Peters wrote:Today I notice a screenres 640,480,32,,1 isn't a real fullscreen
the toolbar or name it taskbar are visible looks bad for a game.
I'm sure before last Windows 10 update it worked normal here.

Joshy

This is a bug in Windows 10 Creators Update, and it even affects AAA games! I was hoping that Microsoft would fix it themselves in a latter update, without me having to do anything to work around the problem on my end. Is it still broken in the latest Win10 version? Actually, I have only had this problem reported to me by people using my engine when set to use DirectX for display, who said that the problem didn't happen when using FB's graphics library or SDL. So it's news to me that fbgfx is also affected.

There is a workaround to this problem (but it will only fix it on your own machine):
I think that I found the solution.

Go to the game executable, right click on it then go to Properties > Compatibility, check the box "Disable fullscreen optimizations" apply and play.

I don't know what this option do but it's really messing with all my games on Creators Update.

I haven't really looked into this yet. I'll post if I find a proper fix.

MrSwiss wrote:
BascCoder2 wrote:I thought of blocking updates but my understanding is you get virus protection updates?
That only matters, if you use M$'s virus scanner.

False; OS updates are necessary to fix security vulnerabilities. Antivirus can't save you from them; you'll end with a horribly insecure OS over time.
MrSwiss

Postby MrSwiss » May 14, 2018 10:39

TeeEmCee wrote:False; OS updates are necessary to fix security vulnerabilities.
Theoretically true (according to M$ books). Practical experience says otherwise,
since usually, NEW exploits, focus on NEW vulnerabilities.
(The usual reason behind Malware is, to make "a lot of money". Like M$.)

Threat mitigating factors:
- Those people simply assume, that OLD ones, have been patched!
- They don't want to waste their time, as much, as we do!
- Third party virus scanner's, are also *improving*, over time.

TeeEmCee wrote:Antivirus can't save you from them; you'll end with a horribly insecure OS over time.
I'd like to challenge the truth of that statement (based on my statements above).
Last edited by MrSwiss on May 14, 2018 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
jj2007

Postby jj2007 » May 14, 2018 10:55

TeeEmCee wrote:OS updates are necessary to fix security vulnerabilities. Antivirus can't save you from them; you'll end with a horribly insecure OS over time.
Right. Theoretically, you can be vigilant all the time, no clicks on attachments, no visits to websites with drive-by exploits, etc... but in practice you can't.

And OS updates concern also other issues, unrelated to security - do you want to spend your precious time deciding which updates are useful and which are not? Let Micros**t do their job, if their updates fail, Millions of users will complain; that is nice incentive to do that job properly.

IMHO more important would be to fight the never ending trend towards buggy bloatware, which slows everything down. My single biggest performance problem is the browser. PaleMoon is ok for while, but it's RAM usage accumulates; Slimjet is slightly better but lacks features. And when I launch one of the big standard browsers, the fan goes on, especially when I visit sites that believe I need animated or video ads.
TeeEmCee

Postby TeeEmCee » May 15, 2018 6:26

MrSwiss wrote:
TeeEmCee wrote:Antivirus can't save you from them; you'll end with a horribly insecure OS over time.
I'd like to challenge the truth of that statement (based on my statements above).

If your point is that the addition of new features also introduces new bugs, and enlarges the attack surface, creating a piece of software that's harder to secure, everyone would obviously agree with that. It would be better to be able to opt into receiving security updates only, but Windows 10 has no such option.

If you're using the most up to date version of an OS, you are only vulnerable to zero days and to bugs that have been announced but not patched yet (a short period). If you're using an OS that hasn't been patched in five years, you're vulnerable to all bugs found in the last five years in addition to the zero days which might still be found. And to make things worse it's happened a number of times that some RCE bug is found in Windows affecting every version in the last 20 years, so the bugs just keep piling up higher.
dodicat

Postby dodicat » May 15, 2018 8:33

quote TeeEmCee:
"enlarges the attack surface"

I like it.
Not sure what it means, but I like it.
For some reason I am still :
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.431]
Even although I let Microsoft rip on, unimpeded.
fxm

Postby fxm » May 15, 2018 9:57

I think Microsoft is starting to update the latest PCs (to minimize the risk of problems).

Return to “Community Discussion”