Making FreeBasic appealing to a wider audience

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Josep Roca

Re: Making FreeBasic appealing to a wider audience

Postby Josep Roca » Nov 07, 2017 17:09

> New fb members from pb might not know of some fb shortcuts. (-pp switch for example)

I know it. What I don't know is for what it can be useful to me or to any other PB user. Can yu explain it?
St_W

Postby St_W » Nov 07, 2017 20:52

Josep Roca wrote:What I don't know is for what it can be useful to me or to any other PB user.
In general it might be useful e.g to debug compilation issues in a source code that heavily uses macros for code generation. Anyway, in practice it's probably needed very rarely and I don't see any reason why especially former PB users should know about it as I would guess that more than 90% of FB haven't used that feature even once.
lizard

Postby lizard » Nov 07, 2017 21:14

I recently created a .bi file from a C <library>.h file with the fantastic fbfrog (thanks to dkl). It works flawlessly. Now i have renamed it to .bas and compiled it with fbc -pp as mentioned and got a complete list of all functions of the .bi itself and all other libraries it uses. All these functions i could use without including further libs.
Josep Roca

Postby Josep Roca » Nov 07, 2017 21:56

@St_W

Thanks for the explanation. From it I understand that it can be useful sometimes for debuging a program that uses macros. However, I don't see any usefulness of the suggestion of doing it with windows.bi. Imagine that I do it and my application also needs to include another file that, in turn, includes windows.bi... I will get a zillion of errors for duplicated procedures, constants and macros.
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Nov 07, 2017 22:07

It is quite handy for crt.bi.
The resulting crt.pp.bas is a good help file.
The .chm help font is a little small and a bit annoying to decipher for the C run time procedures.

I don't advocate actually using these expanded files as part of a program, that is not the idea.
If you don't like the idea of pp generated files then you don't like the idea of pp generated files.
What more can I possibly add, I am not a preacher.
fatman2021

Postby fatman2021 » Nov 14, 2017 19:07

lizard wrote:Exactly. FB has all it needs. It would be made easier for newbies with the above mentioned bundle. Let me dream how i would do it if i would not be new myself here.

wxFBE and its designer are written in FB itself. It would take only little more work to make it work perfectly, namely the linux version. With few elements more which can be found in .bi files in freebasic/inc/wx-c folder like gridbox,and its sources included in the bundle it could be both, a great example for wx-c usage and IDE with designer included. It could be renamed to "horse". Or maybe "wxHorse" or even "WorkingHorse" or whatever. :-)

This is a real world example of what FreeBASIC is competing against:

Code: Select all

# Fluid simulation

import bpy

# Domain
bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_cube_add()
bpy.ops.transform.resize(value=(4.72379, 4.72379, 4.72379))
bpy.ops.object.modifier_add(type='FLUID_SIMULATION')
bpy.context.object.modifiers["Fluidsim"].settings.type = 'DOMAIN'

active_object = bpy.data.objects["Cube"]
active_object.data.materials.clear()

material = bpy.data.materials.new(name="Water")
material.use_nodes = True

material_output = material.node_tree.nodes.get('Material Output')
shader = material.node_tree.nodes.new('ShaderNodeBsdfGlass')

material.node_tree.links.new(material_output.inputs[0], shader.outputs[0])

active_object.active_material = material

# Inflow
bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_uv_sphere_add()
bpy.ops.transform.translate(value=(0, 0, 2.79482))
bpy.ops.object.modifier_add(type='FLUID_SIMULATION')
bpy.context.object.modifiers["Fluidsim"].settings.type = 'INFLOW'
bpy.context.object.modifiers["Fluidsim"].settings.inflow_velocity[1] = -1
bpy.context.object.modifiers["Fluidsim"].settings.inflow_velocity[2] = 1

active_object = bpy.data.objects["Sphere"]
active_object.active_material = material

A language that does not change dies.
Munair

Postby Munair » Nov 14, 2017 19:15

lizard wrote:
marcov wrote:Who is going to do it? You?

Some of you old cracks will think now this new "lizard" has funny ideas. I actually could do such a bundle as mentioned right now. I have a dual boot system here with Kubuntu and Win 10. With wxFBE and fbc you already have the most important things. And it works in Windows and Linux both. The biggest drawback would be my broken english. It would not even be wizardry, only lizardry.

WxWidgets is not ideal (drawing everything into the program) and the FB bindings are outdated. Up-to-date bindings are needed to create and maintain a GUI library.
lizard

Postby lizard » Nov 14, 2017 23:51

fatman2021 wrote:This is a real world example of what FreeBASIC is competing against:

In reality, wx-c-Designer is already existing and it works.

https://www.freebasic-portal.de/projekt ... er-61.html
(search for the word "Download" in a link, the program itself is in english)

Maybe the same with fltk-c or gtk would be better, but these designers are not existing, afaik. What i have written was, for newcomers an easy to use package would be great. Like download, unpack and run the IDE. Then compiling the examples or design GUI-programs with designer. Similar as it once was. Thats the way newcomers would like to start with FreeBasic. :-)

Today almost everything is way to complicated, almost everywhere.
lizard

Postby lizard » Nov 15, 2017 8:10

Munair wrote:WxWidgets is not ideal

Wx-c for FB doesn't support 64bit, afaik. They always say it is outdated. but in my experience most of it works (except few details) in win 10 and Kubuntu and one can create Projects with several windows with not much problems.

Some things are even better than in fltk-c. Like the application icon, which can be set as bmp for both linux and win. This saves some work, no need to do it separetly.
Munair

Postby Munair » Nov 15, 2017 8:40

lizard wrote:
Munair wrote:WxWidgets is not ideal

Wx-c for FB doesn't support 64bit, afaik. They always say it is outdated. but in my experience most of it works (except few details) in win 10 and Kubuntu and one can create Projects with several windows with not much problems.

Some things are even better than in fltk-c. Like the application icon, which can be set as bmp for both linux and win. This saves some work, no need to do it separetly.

Even if it works, if you want to make FreeBasic appealing and more prominent, a modern, up-to-date RAD is required (which is what I am working on since about a week: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26076#p239373). Compromises won't work. If a RAD provides a specific widget library, the programmer will expect a close to the latest, well maintained solution.
MOD

Postby MOD » Nov 15, 2017 13:21

The Visual WX-C Designer is outdated and my first try creating a RAD tool. The integrated designer within wxFBE is the latest version. Also, just as an information: the wxFBE designer does not simply output wx-c code! It uses a plugin mechanism and can emit whatever you want. A ftkl-emitter already exists, others (GTK, whatever...) can be created.
lizard

Postby lizard » Nov 16, 2017 5:18

MOD wrote:A ftkl-emitter already exists, others (GTK, whatever...) can be created.

Where is the fltk-emitter and how to activate it?
chung

Postby chung » Nov 17, 2017 16:54

what's wrong with the audience ?
freebasic scores more than 1000 download/week at sourceforge.net
fbgd does well its job ...
fatman2021

Postby fatman2021 » Nov 18, 2017 18:26

This is a good example of what a modern game development environment looks like:

caseih

Postby caseih » Nov 18, 2017 18:55

EDIT: deleted post. Reason: redundant.

To the forum managers, why can't we delete posts?

Return to “Community Discussion”