Suggestion: UTF-8 Support for Draw String

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
RockTheSchock

Suggestion: UTF-8 Support for Draw String

Post by RockTheSchock »

Do you consider to extend "draw string" with UTF8 support?

If i see it correctly, it's a rewrite of gfx_drawstring.c maybe as seperate file supporting UTF multibyte chars
https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/blob/m ... awstring.c

So you need a large symbol table with max 2^21-1 elements 16MB(64 bit 32MB):

FBGFX_CHAR char_data[256] must be changed to FBGFX_CHAR char_data[last] 'last element of font.

it has to be allocated / reallocated only when font changes.
And the for loop walking through the string has to be changed accordingly (from line 133)

Did i miss something?
TJF

Re: Suggestion: UTF-8 Support for Draw String

Post by TJF »

I think you miss the font specials needed for full UTF-8 support.

Ie. cairo grafics library has a "toy text" support using UTF-8 input. But when you want complete UTF-8 support you've to include Pango and PangoCairo. So I think at least Pango is necessary to implement UTF-8 for FB.

Why don't you use the Pango, PangoCairo, cairo combination?
RockTheSchock

Post by RockTheSchock »

Well reading UTF-8 files isn't very hard, but how do you put UTF-8 stringdata onto FBGFX buffer? I know i could use gtk+ widgets, or something else.

I plan to write a text game were i put all logic/texts into lua files/tables. Lua has no problems with utf-8 within stringdata. I tested it with a GTK3 widget and i could load a string from a lua table as label. I want to draw some simple text? Is an additional library really needed? With only lua and freebasic functions it would be ultra portable, if i could use a font with unicode support, without additional library. Does Cairo Pango work under DOS?

Recompiling wouldnt even be needed so often, because the logic is in lua files.
TJF

Post by TJF »

RockTheSchock wrote:..., if i could use a font with unicode support, without additional library.
There isn't one font for UTF-8. Several fonts are used to draw latin, cyrilic or chinese letters. The Pango library is designed to select the matching font (& style & size).
RockTheSchock wrote:Does Cairo Pango work under DOS?
Neither the Pango-PangoCairo-cairo combination nor GTK+ work under DOS.

The output in a GTK+ label gets generated by the above mentioned combination. So if you need GUI features (or network features from Gio) I recommend to include GTK. But if you want text output only and use a home-brew GUI, it's enough to include the combination (which is part of GTK+).

You didn't mention what you're doing with the stringdata in Lua. I guess you can handle the files/tables with GLib as well (which is also part of GTK+). GLib should be faster than the Lua interpreter. libjson-glib might be attractive for easy handling of tables.
RockTheSchock

Post by RockTheSchock »

Well i searched a bit and found this:
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de/utf-8/decoder/dfa/

Then i translated the code and combined it with a freetype example code:
http://www.freebasic-portal.de/porticul ... -1783.html

Basically you can Print a String with embedded UTF-8 characters. So if you need to display some documentation it should be possible to use this under DOS, too. You need the FreeType2 library for DOS though.

Code: Select all

Dim text As String
ScreenRes 800, 240, 32

Dim ArialFont As Integer
ArialFont = GetFont(font_filename)
If ArialFont = 0 Then Print "couldn't find it": Sleep: End

text=!"schau mal, \&hE2\&h82\&hAC diese  toooooooooolle textausgabe\nschaut doch gut aus. \noder?"
PrintFT 10,100,text,arialfont,23,RGB(255,255,0)
Sleep
TJF

Post by TJF »

This is what cairo calls a "toy text API". It supports just a few characters. When you try to use non-latin characters (ie. cyrilic, arabian, chinese, ...) the solution fails, since the characters are not in the font.
RockTheSchock

Post by RockTheSchock »

You are right that it fails, if the selected font lacks the characters.Though you could expand the code easily to use a list of fonts, where as fallback it can look for a glyph in fontlist.

In most cases you can predict which font you want to use for the text in your application. So it's meant to display easily utf-8 characters of the font you choose to bundle with your application. There is no compatible input routine, so if you need a keyboard input you propably should use a GUI framework like GTK, QT or even SDL.

If the fonts shipped with your OS doesn't meet your needs there is Noto:
https://www.google.com/get/noto/
TJF

Post by TJF »

I'm just wondering why you spend so much time in such a low level solution. In the same time you could have learned how to use cairo library and you could benefit from all its advanced features further on.