Intro Video or Slide Show?

Game development specific discussions.
vdecampo

Intro Video or Slide Show?

Postby vdecampo » Sep 11, 2007 20:22

I thought making an Intro Video for my game was cool but it takes up 10 times the space the actual game does including graphics & sound files. So the video is not really practical from that point of view because it bloats the download.

So my questions are....

Should I keep the video because it adds to the game?
-or-
Should I replace the video with some slideshow screens?
-or-
Throw it out completely for a simple storyboard screen?
->Lachie will probably vote for this. :-)

I welcome your input.

Cheers!
-Vince
maddogg6

Postby maddogg6 » Sep 11, 2007 20:44

Make the video an optional D/L..

psudo code..
if video exists - show video
else show pics.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Sep 11, 2007 21:04

Yeah, that's a great idea, maddogg6.

Just be sure to provide the two versions of game for download, vdecampo.
maddogg6

Postby maddogg6 » Sep 11, 2007 21:14

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Yeah, that's a great idea, maddogg6.

Just be sure to provide the two versions of game for download, vdecampo.

I was thinking more - 1 game - 1 video - the video being optional, and checked for existence at run time.
Just would need to instruct where to save the video file. (any instructions for de-compressing if rar'd or zip'd - but I personally dont think compressing video is worth the effort in most cases. But then, I have broadband....

So - only 1 compiled exe needed - less confusion...etc..etc..
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 11, 2007 21:21

Yeah, preferable not to use more than one EXE. You could also keep options in a separate text file, but it is much nicer just to detect if the video exists.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Sep 11, 2007 21:49

Yeah, a separate download for the video is a much smarter solution.
axipher

Postby axipher » Sep 11, 2007 23:18

Or depending on the game, make a cut scene with a few extra special effects.
Merick

Postby Merick » Sep 11, 2007 23:41

There are a number of ways that you can reduce the file size for the video, like re-compressing the video stream, converting it to a different format, even removing frames.

If you want to get really creative, you could even create an in-game scripting system that would let you use the game engine itself to do the intro. The benefit of doing it that way would be that the intro would end up being only a few kb (maybe up to mb or two depending on the length of the intro) as you'd only a few text files for the intro script
maddogg6

Postby maddogg6 » Sep 12, 2007 0:33

Merick wrote:There are a number of ways that you can reduce the file size for the video, like re-compressing the video stream, converting it to a different format, even removing frames.

Yes - you can play with the resolution as well as frame-rates.

160 x 240 - but shown in a 320x240 or even a 640 x 480 'box' - isn't *too* horrible - its not HDTV obviously, but this is also pretty common way to reduce a video files size down.

About re-compressing... eh... if thats starts getting into requiring codecs to be installed... I cant say I love that idea for a game.
sir_mud

Postby sir_mud » Sep 12, 2007 5:59

I don't wanna advocate closed formats, but if you're targeting Windows platforms only then Windows Media Video (WMV) makes some pretty small videos, you can get them to about 1MB a minute with passable quality.
D.J.Peters

Postby D.J.Peters » Sep 13, 2007 23:35

Merick wrote:... use the game engine itself to do the intro ...
yes this should be the right way and not to difficult to code
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 13, 2007 23:40

Looking at the game engine that doesn't seem too feasible - unless it's a really simple intro, which would be fine but not a cool.

If you could use OpenGL it would be nice, though I don't know if you'd want to since the rest of the engine doesn't.

Probably just keep the video separate, perhaps you should include one generated by the engine but only use it if the video is not found.
redcrab

Postby redcrab » Sep 14, 2007 8:34

Merick wrote:There are a number of ways that you can reduce the file size for the video, like re-compressing the video stream, converting it to a different format, even removing frames.

If you want to get really creative, you could even create an in-game scripting system that would let you use the game engine itself to do the intro. The benefit of doing it that way would be that the intro would end up being only a few kb (maybe up to mb or two depending on the length of the intro) as you'd only a few text files for the intro script

I vote for this way, technicaly complexify your engine but I think it s a good investment.
axipher

Postby axipher » Sep 14, 2007 13:57

Well if you do advance the engine to allow for better cut-scenes, you can put more here and there, like in Starcraft, and they add to the overall value so much
Frank Dodd

Postby Frank Dodd » Nov 04, 2007 19:36

I think the video will be very useful for promotion, its easier to catch an audience with a video promo that you bang onto youtube and direct traffic to its more dynamic than just a web page and screenshots I feel

of course its nice in the game too but then I have also seen some nice intro's done with static artwork and sprites too.

Return to “Game Dev”