Code a Game Competition

Game development specific discussions.
song

Code a Game Competition

Postby song » Mar 19, 2020 10:46

Hello....

The contest looks challenging. Many good coders are here! Why not show them your good skills!
https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/to ... g347040468
badidea

Re: Code a Game Competition

Postby badidea » Mar 19, 2020 22:47

All those links at the syntaxbomb page are broken here (they work when cutting ?PHPSESSID=1988ec8eb2436cd27a50d1a300fa1f1a& from the URLs)
Never mind, someone fixed it very quickly, or I had some weird issue. Ok now.

@BasicCoder2: I see your post :-p (edit: and so did song)

Anyway, I am already working on a game, which is a remake somewhat, but not fitting the syntaxbomb rules.
Last edited by badidea on Mar 19, 2020 22:59, edited 3 times in total.
song

Postby song » Mar 19, 2020 22:55

BasicCoder2 wrote:
song wrote:Many good coders are here! Why not show them your good skills!

Coding and writing games are two different skills. Writing games requires more than the ability to code it also requires artistic and animation skills as well as inventing good game play. This is why creating computer games usually requires a team of people all bringing different skills to the project. Coders, game designers, artists and animators and of course music and sound effects contributors. Often the coder's contribution begins and ends with a game engine of some kind and perhaps a game editor to make use of the game engine. At the moment I am writing a simple miner game having been inspired by badidea's miner game project but it is nothing but an occasional pastime (like doing a jigsaw puzzle or some other mental game). My coding skills are not great just as my tennis playing is not great. Sometimes we do things for fun even when we not all that good at it :)

You don't have to be a great or even a good programmer to design a computer game but you do need to be creative. Just as you don't have to be a great speller to write a book. Some people freak out when they see a "spelling mistake" and yet they couldn't write a book worth reading with all their spelling and grammar skills. Indeed the "correct" way to spell didn't exist before the dictionary was invented resulting in the fossilisation of spelling so it no longer reflected how words are now pronounced.
https://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/20 ... dnt-spell/

Wow....a comprehensive article. Thanks for explaining! I learnt a lot from the article. Thanks again!!
Last edited by song on Mar 19, 2020 23:02, edited 3 times in total.
song

Postby song » Mar 19, 2020 23:01

badidea wrote:All those links at the syntaxbomb page are broken here (they work when cutting ?PHPSESSID=1988ec8eb2436cd27a50d1a300fa1f1a& from the URLs)
Never mind, someone fix it very quickly, or I had some weird issue. Ok now.

Thanks for fixing.

Anyway, I am already working on a game, which is a remake somewhat, but not fitting the syntaxbomb rules.

Ha.....maybe you still have enough time(around 7 weeks) to modify the game to comply with the rules.
badidea

Postby badidea » Mar 19, 2020 23:37

song wrote:Thanks for fixing.
Someone else did, maybe.
Ha.....maybe you still have enough time(around 7 weeks) to modify the game to comply with the rules.
I think I need 7 months, without any extra modification :-)

Return to “Game Dev”