Gamer PC headset?

Game development specific discussions.
cbruce

Gamer PC headset?

Post by cbruce »

Getting ready to take up gaming on Windows10 and wondering about the best wireless, over the ear, noise cancelling mic, gamer headset I can buy for $100 to $200?
MrSwiss

Re: Gamer PC headset?

Post by MrSwiss »

Wrong forum for such, specific HW questions (IMHO). You'll only get *opinions*.

Read test-reports in Journals, specializing in testing HW (with independent test-lab).
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

Hmm... MrSwiss, I get your point, but I don't see a way to move it to General by myself. Maybe coderJeff or somebody can for me.

And I actually am looking for opinions. When you get old and tired and half-broke; trying out 10 different headsets, in an attempt to find one you actually can wear and like, could be enough to say, "screw it... I don't want to play that bad after all". I've been looking at reviews and lab stats. But reviewers don't wear those headsets for hours each day - they review them. I was hoping for feedback from our folks that actually wear them. I don't care what the stats say if three real people disagree with those stats. I just want to make sure I don't get a piece of junk that sounded good, or felt comfortable to a reviewer for 30 minutes one day. I figure if there are a couple of headsets here that get a thumbs-up - that's a good place for me to start looking.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

cbruce wrote:... I don't see a way to move it to General by myself.
I'd say the best place would be: "Community Discussion" (for non coding related matters).

I'm NOT a gamer, but on Headphones: closed type, giving "HOT" ears, in a short time!
Personally, I prefer for long time wear: in ear type ... (trans Atlantic flight, tested).

Important is: the plugs have to fit, as exactly as possible (should have, different sized
silicon-rubber pieces, to match the inner ear).
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

I've never been able to find a pair of in-ear headphones that would fit me... they are always very uncomfortable. I've seen the "fitted" kind, but don't feel like paying $300+ for those. Over-the-ear are the only ones that I've ever found that I could wear for an extended amount of time - and I always bought the hear-through kind that allowed air in. On-the-ear are also very uncomfortable to me.

FYI - My flight headphones are an old pair of over-the-ear, fold-up Sony active-noise-reducers - that I bought in 1999. My job required me to fly 5 days a week for a few years. Never found a better flight headset for the money. Bose were better sounding, but the price was huge. Active-noise-reduction is the key though. When I was first flying on long trips; I would just be worn out when I would get off the flight. It turns out that the background jet engine noise causes an enormous amount of feedback to your system and creates a lot of internal stress. Once I got the Sonys, even the longest flights didn't bother me.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

cbruce wrote:... and I always bought the hear-through kind that allowed air in.
I've never been comfortable, with any of those "over the head" contraptions.
Actually, all of them, also got a Sony with 5m cord, to watch TV *silently*.
This may be, because I'm wearing glasses ...

Btw. the latest in-ears I've bought, cost about US$ 30 (no noise cancelling).
That's something to look out for, the next time I've to replace them ...