New-old game in FreeBasic

Game development specific discussions.
xlucas
Posts: 260
Joined: May 09, 2014 21:19
Location: Argentina

New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby xlucas » Jun 02, 2016 4:41

I made a simple space shoot-up game back in 2000 in QuickBasic in 320x200 called Syderal. I recently ported it to FreeBasic, scaled the graphics, recreated the sound system and fixed many bugs. It's still a very simple game... and it's in Spanish, but if anyone would like to take a look and is interested in the source, I could post it. You guys can get the binaries here:

http://syderal.fnhost.org

My actual plan was to make a new game, with better graphics, sound and music and post that one here, but that will take some time, so... Anyway. Just wanted to share that oldie with you guys.
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2230
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 05, 2017 17:15

Having problems downloading this from the place you provided. Got another options?

Edit: NM. It decided to download in the end.

Feels and plays rather smooth and faced pace. Liking it. I did find the fact that after I spend all the ammo, I need to wait for like 5-10 seconds for it to fill it up, with is a little silly. It should be constantly replenishing, and only preventing me to auto-fire. So if I fire constantly, it depletes, and then fires at really slow rate, until I let it replenish for a few seconds. Leaving me without weapon every now and then is annoying.
xlucas
Posts: 260
Joined: May 09, 2014 21:19
Location: Argentina

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby xlucas » Jun 01, 2017 4:20

Oh, man... I somehow didn't see when this message came in.
Yeah, this is an old project and it contains some uncommon features. The way that shooting energy works came up because I hadn't made a powerup system. At the beginning, my idea was to eventually implement that: you would have to shoot at something that would give you more shots or something like that. But then I thought that waiting for the gun to reload is so much more uncommon that it can make the game more interesting and challenging. Because enemies appear always at a predictable time, you can decide not to shoot at a certain time, to save shots for later once you know the level events. Also, you have the option to give up a life and immediately replenish both your health- and ammo- energies. There's some strategy at the back of all that mess, ha, ha.

I'm already using another host and will soon move the game there. Also, I'm making some touches to the code so that it's presentable and I can make it free software and publish the source.

EDIT: Alright, I uploaded Syderal and its source here: http://dimioca.com/syderal. It includes the source and executables to run in both GNU/Linux and Windows. I'm having a problem running it in Wine right now, so if anybody can test it, I'll appreciate it. I'll create another post about the problem. This one is more about the software itself.
thesanman112
Posts: 538
Joined: Jul 15, 2005 4:13

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby thesanman112 » Jun 03, 2017 4:54

ran good here in windows.
xlucas
Posts: 260
Joined: May 09, 2014 21:19
Location: Argentina

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby xlucas » Jun 03, 2017 18:54

Cheers, mate. Yeah, it seems it's something that doesn't work quite the same in real Windows as in Wine. I also found how to fix the problem so it also runs well on Wine, but haven't uploaded the changes.
paul doe
Posts: 535
Joined: Jul 25, 2017 17:22
Location: Argentina

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby paul doe » Oct 27, 2017 12:20

xlucas wrote:Cheers, mate. Yeah, it seems it's something that doesn't work quite the same in real Windows as in Wine. I also found how to fix the problem so it also runs well on Wine, but haven't uploaded the changes.

Hola cumpis!

Had a look at your site. Pretty neat! The game runs flawlessly here (Win10), and the track editor is bliss (no pun intended XD). I can't believe you also like the Stunts game, I thought my friends and I were the only ones that liked that game haha. To learn there's an entire community for it was enlightening ;)

Wanted to remake Stunts for years, now. The physics are a little wacky sometimes, although it does make for some pretty amusing replays, no? What do you say? A Freebasic Stunts Remake? ;D

Btw, I posted some code that could help you with the issues you have in this thread: https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25766. The code is here: https://github.com/glasyalabolas/fb-metaball-demo. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Paul
xlucas
Posts: 260
Joined: May 09, 2014 21:19
Location: Argentina

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby xlucas » Nov 04, 2017 6:39

¡Hola, che!

Glad that you tried Syderal. It's really an oldie, but it was my first "complete" game, so I really wanted to remaster it and publish it.

paul doe wrote:[...]I posted some code that could help you with the issues you have in this thread[...]

About the X-Quest-like matter I posted some time ago that you link to here, the frequency seems to be OK, but for some reason, it doesn't look smooth in my system. Maybe it's just me. I have left that project pending, but later on, I'll put more attention to it again. Making something like X-Quest would be cool.

paul doe wrote:Wanted to remake Stunts for years, now. The physics are a little wacky sometimes, although it does make for some pretty amusing replays, no? What do you say? A Freebasic Stunts Remake? ;D

I'm totally in, for that! As a matter of fact, at this moment, I'm building a 3D engine resembling that of Stunts and I'm having a little problem with perspective. I'll post a new topic about that. I want to do it the old way, that is, the closest to a Stunts engine as possible, no OpenGL, no 3rd party libraries, no acceleration at all. I want it to be able to run in DOS, as well as GNU/Linux and Windows.

Do join the Stunts community! Tried racing with the guys? They're great people! You'll find me there as Cas. They do have a forum too. If you've been trying Bliss, you've seen how advanced things are with Stunts there. If you'd like, we could work on a Stunts project. Write to me at xlucas@gmx.com.
BasicCoder2
Posts: 3127
Joined: Jan 01, 2009 7:03

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby BasicCoder2 » Nov 04, 2017 21:53

xlucas wrote:
paul doe wrote:Wanted to remake Stunts for years, now. The physics are a little wacky sometimes, although it does make for some pretty amusing replays, no? What do you say? A Freebasic Stunts Remake? ;D
I'm totally in, for that! As a matter of fact, at this moment, I'm building a 3D engine resembling that of Stunts and I'm having a little problem with perspective. I'll post a new topic about that. I want to do it the old way, that is, the closest to a Stunts engine as possible, no OpenGL, no 3rd party libraries, no acceleration at all. I want it to be able to run in DOS, as well as GNU/Linux and Windows.

Will watch your progress on this one.
Is stunts real 3d or retro 3D.
This seems to be retro.
http://codeincomplete.com/posts/javascript-racer/
Here the source code is available for something similiar called ultimatestunts is that the same thing?
http://www.ultimatestunts.nl/
.
xlucas
Posts: 260
Joined: May 09, 2014 21:19
Location: Argentina

Re: New-old game in FreeBasic

Postby xlucas » Nov 04, 2017 22:44

BasicCoder2 wrote:Is stunts real 3d or retro 3D.
This seems to be retro.


Uhm... well, between those two, I'd say it's "retro 3D", but it's much closer to real 3D than Outrun or other games, like Lotus, the Ultimate Challenge, for example. Stunts is based on a 2D map, but track elements are made of plain-colour polygons whose verteces are managed in true 3D. The car is not glued to the road and can rotate in every possible direction. The engine has some limitations and uses tricks to make all this possible on a 386 (or even a 286). What I'm envisioning is remaking an engine of the same type, although with higher resolution, but no textures, no acceleration. The reason for this is that Stunts source code is apparently lost and the community would like to have it. Creating something too different has already been done and is the community won't be too interested. So the idea would be to re-represent Stunts with a new source. That's my personal idea.

Return to “Game Dev”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest