JASC Soccer

Game development specific discussions.
Pitto

JASC Soccer 0.21

Post by Pitto »

Hi all,

I wish share the new version 0.21:
http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... er_021.tar
It works fine with the new Freebasic compiler’s release (0.90.1)

This is a video preview (~2Mb):
http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... review.avi

This is a graph representing the growth of the LOC for each version:
http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... 06/LOC.gif

New features avalaible:
· penalty kicks
· the Goalkeeper can catch the ball
· Gk smarter on corner kicks and throw in
· in debug mode (pressing "D" key) the user can press keys 0-7 to simulate some Match_Events

In the next version I would like to concentrate my efforts to create a better ball control for the human player. I would also try to create the aftertouch.

Thanks in advance for your very useful tips and for Your feedback. Comments and suggestions (also about mine coding style) are always much appreciated.. I really like to see these little soccer players running on other OS's.
dafhi

Re: JASC Soccer

Post by dafhi »

I would like to see it slighly higher FPS and more cpu friendly
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

This is a really cool project, I like it! =) I have been supposed to try this a long time ago, but I do to much of my surfing on my phone so then I forget to go back and download when I'm back in front of a computer.

I experienced some strange thing:
I tackled a player inside the opponent penalty box and was rewarded with a penalty, though I didn't get the possibility to take it because the game seemed to jump to a throw in on one side, and then to a throw in on the other side(I think this is what happened, it went pretty fast =) )

When taking a free kick the player can pass the ball to himself, this doesn't follow the rules =) It would also be nice with a small pause before the game kicks off again after some one scores.

Keep coding =)
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Jonge and Dafhi, thank you for Your feedback.

Actually I have not yet created the subroutine for the proper conduct of free kicks, especially when the player is controlled by a Human player. Even in the throw-in's the players make a bit 'as they like. I'm making changes for the correct positioning of the ball when there is a foul.

In the next release I would also implement the Delta Timing to obtain a uniform speed of play on various pc's. Now I'm doing some code clean-up. I realize that I need help in math ... I wish rewrite the ball phisics and the get_passing_ball_speed function.

Do not forget that I am a beginner in programming, any suggestion is always welcome.

Thank you again :)
Pitto

JASC Soccer 0.21.5

Post by Pitto »

Hello eveyone,
from this link below is avalaible the last version of Jasc Soccer(0.21.5):
http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... 0.21.5.tar

New main features added:
· More FPS on slower Pc
· Beta Delta Timing
· Better accuracy in the ball's passing
…Other info in the Readme.txt file

I hope You enjoy this version. Thank You for the more than 2,000 views of this thread. Any feedback is always much appreciated.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

You made some really neat progress on it. I love the flow of the game quite a lot. Hope you will strive to wrap this up. Really nice.

Any plans for the tournaments/teams to feature? World cup? Championship League?
Pitto

Tactic Editor for JASC Soccer

Post by Pitto »

Hello everyone,

from this link http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... or_0.1.tar is avalaible a tactic editor that will affect the next releases of Jasc Soccer (it doesn't work with the current tactic data).
I've decided to improve the tactic, now for each ball position (36) each player can be placed on one of 256 position (not only 36) on the pitch grid.
There are 10 slot of tactic, by default there are these modules: 442, 433, 352, 532, 424, 451, 541, SWEEP, DEFEND, ATTACK. Each tactic slot is saved on a plain txt file. Soon I wish improve it with custom tactic slot. Other details are included in the screen of the Tactic Editor.

@Lachie:
I wish create also the Leagues, Cups & Tournaments and, why not, careers. I realize that at this moment it is a bit far from my abilities, I've to improve (so much) my skills. For the moment I prefer concentrate my effort on the game engine and on the playability (IMO some of most important feature of a game). However the next release will include also the feature of the team selection, with characteristics of the player like speed, stamina, power & precisione of the kick and so on. I would really thank you for your tutorial about creating a game in FB, it gave to a beginner the idea and the technical bases to start.

Thank you everyone again for your feedbacks. Any comment is always much appreciated.
VANYA

Re: Tactic Editor for JASC Soccer

Post by VANYA »

Pitto wrote:Hello everyone,

from this link http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... or_0.1.tar is avalaible a tactic editor that will affect the next releases of Jasc Soccer (it doesn't work with the current tactic data).
I've decided to improve the tactic, now for each ball position (36) each player can be placed on one of 256 position (not only 36) on the pitch grid.
There are 10 slot of tactic, by default there are these modules: 442, 433, 352, 532, 424, 451, 541, SWEEP, DEFEND, ATTACK. Each tactic slot is saved on a plain txt file. Soon I wish improve it with custom tactic slot. Other details are included in the screen of the Tactic Editor.

@Lachie:
I wish create also the Leagues, Cups & Tournaments and, why not, careers. I realize that at this moment it is a bit far from my abilities, I've to improve (so much) my skills. For the moment I prefer concentrate my effort on the game engine and on the playability (IMO some of most important feature of a game). However the next release will include also the feature of the team selection, with characteristics of the player like speed, stamina, power & precisione of the kick and so on. I would really thank you for your tutorial about creating a game in FB, it gave to a beginner the idea and the technical bases to start.

Thank you everyone again for your feedbacks. Any comment is always much appreciated.
I'll be waiting: Leagues, Cups & Tournaments and, careers. Especially the career I want, such as a football manager :)

Thank you continue to work on the project. I always watch him.
Pitto

JASC Soccer 0.22

Post by Pitto »

Hi everyone,
from this link: http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... SC_022.tar is available the version 0.22 of JASC. The file contains also the tactic editor.
Here's some screenshots:
New features:
· Main menu with teams, mins, pitch and game mode selection
· Team & players data stored into txt files
· New tactic system
· New pitches
· other new features in the readme.txt file

Comments & suggestions are always much appreciated. Thank You for your feedbacks.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi all,
I've noticed some unwanted behaviour of the program under Win7. I've already fixed the problem and updated the file (I've removed the splashscreen before the match).
The link remains the same:http://www.pittographic.com/wp-content/ ... SC_022.tar
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

Ah nice. You have added fouls and throw-ins :P.

I've noticed that the main menu is very hard to control. It goes way too fast for me.

I also found a bug ingame when watching the cpu play against each other. One of the forwards had an excellent chance to score but didn't react at all and when the ball had passed him he teleported several pixels back.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi badmrbox,
thanks for Your feedback and bug report..
I did not realize that the players had the bad habit of being teleported :). I'll try to fix it.
I really think I have to improve the menu, it is not user-friendly yet.
…Any feedback is always welcome.
nobozoz

Post by nobozoz »

Pitto,

I downloaded and extracted the file, "JASC_022.tar", from the link above and I've tried compiling main.bas on WINXP/SP3 with fb.24, but I get a runtime error:

Aborting due to runtime error 1 (illegal function call) at line 1698 of main_jr1.bas::LOAD_BEHAVIOR()

The offending line seems to be:

Open "_data/bhv.dat" For input As #ff

I can't see the problem - maybe you can.

Jim

Edit 1: The offending line,
needs to be moved to precede the line,
for tl = 0 to 35
otherwise, more than one attempt will be made to open the already opened file.
Pitto

Error on load_behavior SUB

Post by Pitto »

Hi Jim, thank you for your bug segnalation.
I've already compiled the program with fbc's versions 0.23 and 0.9, but without using the "-exx" compiler option. With the bug and with this option enabled the program can't be compiled.
In fact, I did a mistake because the program try to open 35 times the same file, and also the "bhv_tile" array may contain bad data.

The load_beahvior SUB should be replaced with this code:

Code: Select all

SUB load_behavior()
    dim as integer tl, c, temp 
    Dim ff As Ubyte
    ff = Freefile
    'read and store into array
    for tl = 0 to 35
            Input #ff, bhv_tile(tl,0),bhv_tile(tl,1),bhv_tile(tl,2),bhv_tile(tl,3),_
                bhv_tile(tl,4),bhv_tile(tl,5),bhv_tile(tl,6),bhv_tile(tl,7),_
                bhv_tile(tl,8),bhv_tile(tl,9)
    next tl
    Close #ff
    'transform 10, 20, 35 -> 10, (20+10) = 30, (10+20+35) = 65 [...] and so on
    For tl = 0 To 35
        for c = 1 to 9
            temp = bhv_tile(tl,c-1)
            bhv_tile(tl,c) += temp
        next c
    Next tl
END SUB
Thanks again for Your useful feedback and for your tip.
nobozoz

Post by nobozoz »

Pitto,

Again compiling main.bas on WINXP/SP3 with fb.24 (and also with fb.91) using the following compiler switches:

fbc -s console -v -mt -exx -arch 386 -w pedantic

(-exx to check for bounds errors and null pointer errors, -s console so that run-time error codes are displayed on exit)

The runtime error:
Aborting due to runtime error 6 (out of bounds array access) at line 1917 of main_fixed.bas::RUN_TACTIC()

The offending line (line 1917 in the FBEdit IDE I use):
tile = tct_tile(Team(pl(c).team).tact_module, pl(c).number-2, get_ball_tile(pl(c).team))

Jim