large 2D animations eating VRam

Game development specific discussions.
mrToad

large 2D animations eating VRam

Postby mrToad » Jul 23, 2011 7:37

not a problem on my 4GB gfx card, but you might admit this is pretty intense:
(EDIT: 1GB gfx card, i don't know why i wrote 4GB.)

my maps are composed of several 2048x2048x4 2D textures (alpha-transparent pngs loaded to VRam.) on top of that, these textures are animated 6 frames each, to give it an alive feeling. (swaying tree branches, moving water, etc.) with four of these backgrounds on-screen at one time (the place where they all meet, as off-screen ones are not drawn) my game is needing 384MB of VRam each frame just for backgrounds, not including some extra sheets for character and object animations. i estimate i'll be needing up to 512 MB VRAM every frame at the rate i'm going.

isn't this crazy for a 2D game? the graphics look really good, but i'm not sure if this is sane or not. my target audience is getting smaller.

maybe i should cut the image resolution in half, and scale. i lose the crispness of the graphics but the VRAM use is reduced to 1/4. you see 1024x1024x4 = only 4MB VRam while 2048x2048x4 = 16MB. so in total I'd reduce my needs to 128MB...wow. that's a big difference.

unless anyone disagrees, i should probably cut the image res in half.

or provide an option for high-res.
Last edited by mrToad on Jul 26, 2011 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Destructosoft

Postby Destructosoft » Jul 24, 2011 2:33

2048^2... that's pretty big there. I'm still on 32^2 tile games. Meanwhile, the Angband community is working on adapting some new 64^2 tiles.

As to getting a smaller target audience, you have to expect that anyway from making the game 2D. Kids these days and their impossible expectations!

Sanity or insanity is not a call to make in the Wild World of Coding. Just be happy making the game for yourself, adjusting it as necessary. Hope it works out the way you want it!
mrToad

Postby mrToad » Jul 24, 2011 9:30

thanks for your comments Destructosoft. the scenes are rendered from 3D into 2D layers. it's not based on tiles, so there's just large animated imagery. i want to keep the high detail but not if it's going to require a 3D card just to run a 2D game. it's surprising, but i think 2D can actually require more VRAM than 3D in some cases, because everything depends on nice looking artwork and not textures. at least it can require more than you might think.
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » Jul 24, 2011 15:46

Have you checked out any high-quality 2D games for reference? I'd inspect what the quality of their images actually is, and what size their textures are.

Making things look and feel good under the pressure of technical constraints comes with the job of working with computers as a medium.

Return to “Game Dev”