Anyone remember Moria?

Game development specific discussions.
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jun 27, 2010 13:26

I got awesome news. I got the save game/load game working this morning. I got up a 5:30 and had it working by 7:00!

I'm not tracking down a few game bugs, and then I'll work on the high score table.

Beta 1 will released this afternoon!
rolliebollocks

Postby rolliebollocks » Jun 27, 2010 14:23

CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jun 27, 2010 22:32

Ok Folks. I just release Beta 1 on my website.

http://games.tcshouston.net

PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND. There are lots of bugs. Drinking a potion, reading scrolls, even running(aka the . command, aka "Searching") are not working yet. Normal search with S works.

I've confirmed about 75% of the commands are working, most confirmed work 100%. The other 25%, not working, or untested.

I just finished the patch to the save high score routine.

You can use a character over and over, but the character will only appear on the high score list once, and only the game with the highest score.

Bugs, bugs, bugs... I'm sure I only know about 5% of the bugs in the game.

I had hoped to do about 10 hours of testing this weekend. But the save game routine for the original code, turned out to be the hardest part of the code to convert. I spend about 20 hours get save game/load game to work.

Keep in mind that save games from the BETA may not work on the next release. Right now i'm using the original 1024 record size. A save game can take up almost a meg of space. When it should be 10% of that in size.

I can probably cut the record size down to 512 or 256 bytes.

I'll try to make it work with older save games, but no promises!

If you don't like, then wait for the release version in a few weeks.

Have fun!
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jun 28, 2010 0:35

Found the bug in potions. I least I think I did. I'm doing more testing, but if I'm right then potions, magic, wands, prayers, magical food, scrolls, are all broken in Beta 1.

All mage, priest, IE spell based characters, are also broken.

I'm going to continue testing, and release Beta 1a tomorrow to fix these errors.

Thanks,
John
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jun 28, 2010 3:23

Found a major load game bug with store inventories.

It's fixed, but previous save games the stores will have messed up items in there inventories, until the store replaced them.

Or you can start a new game...

I believe creature attacks, quaffing potions, reading scrolls, aiming wands, maybe more fixed by a bug I found in one function.

Since these are such a big signficant issues, I've released Beta1a ahead of schedule.

Go to my website http://games.tcshouston.net. And go to the download page and get Beta1a.

Beta 2 should be out next weekend.... Assuming no other major bug is found!
Jocke The Beast

Postby Jocke The Beast » Jun 28, 2010 6:17

Thanks!!!
Downloading now. I'll get back to you after I played around a bit :)
Nice work!
Jocke The Beast

Postby Jocke The Beast » Jun 29, 2010 0:12

One bug found: I killed a Centepie (spelling?) and when I after that attacked a Kobold (4 turns later) the first text was again "You killed the Centepie".

Amazing work so far! Now let's hunt some bugs!
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jun 29, 2010 2:00

Jocke The Beast wrote:One bug found: I killed a Centepie (spelling?) and when I after that attacked a Kobold (4 turns later) the first text was again "You killed the Centepie".

Amazing work so far! Now let's hunt some bugs!

Sadly that is probably more of a design flaw, and a frustrating one.

The messagebuffer stores the last message. If it's not cleared before sending a new message, then it displays the last message with a more.

I'll see if I can find a way to flush that. It's one of the reasons I want to create a message window in 5.1. That way messages just appear there, and you don't have to hit MORE all the damn time.

I'll put a message box on the bottom of the screen, store the last 20-30 messages, and let you hit page up/page down or even the mouse scroll to view old messages.

I'm going to post another beta tonight. 1b. I found and fixed about 10 bugs in the game. All spell/prayer based characters could not learn new spells/prayers, or get more mana.

More importantly I fixed the "." searching/running command! Fixed a display problem in town, fixed a bug where you could not purchase items in the store once you "fix" a price.

Other cosmetic things. I figured out how I can make save game smaller. And I'll worked out how to make beta save games still load. So I'll update that this weeked.

I need to confirm you can sell items in town, I'm don't think fire/throw is working right, I have not tried the Fill a lamp. I have not opened a chest. Then all that's really left, test all the spells, prayers, potions, scrolls, monsters and their attacks, Black Market, and Wizard mode and the Wizard commands. Game should be very playable now.

Beta 1b should be online in about an hour or so.
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jun 29, 2010 4:54

I just put Beta 1b on the website. At this point I've tested nearly all commands. I think lamp fill is all that is left to test out of the normal game controls.

I fixed 10 bugs today. Many broken commands now work. Including ".", aka run, throw, selling to store owners, jamming doors, buying items at fixed prices, just to name a few.

I'll release a beta 2 this weekend, with some updates to save game files to reduce their size. Old save games will still work. So don't worry about playing and losing your character.

I believe the majority of the bugs have been found and fixed.

Have fun everyone!
Jocke The Beast

Postby Jocke The Beast » Jun 30, 2010 10:09

When pressing "w" (wield) I get some message-bugs. For instance I press "w" then "*" then "a" for example. After that I need three presses at ESC to get back into the game.
Pressing "d" (drop) works perfect.

It's really a pleasure to play this old classic legend coded in FB :)
Keep the good work up, soon we got a stable 5.0 on our hands!

Will you share the source? Might help in bug-hunting
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jun 30, 2010 14:02

Jocke The Beast wrote:When pressing "w" (wield) I get some message-bugs. For instance I press "w" then "*" then "a" for example. After that I need three presses at ESC to get back into the game.

It's really a pleasure to play this old classic legend coded in FB :)
Keep the good work up, soon we got a stable 5.0 on our hands!

Will you share the source? Might help in bug-hunting

Damn, I just lost 20 minutes of a reply, cause I hit the damn backspace key. Got to love Internet explorer.

The W command and D command work a little different.

Say you start a new game as a warrior.

From the game you could type in w, b, w, b, w, b, w,b w, b to wield/wear your armor, cloak, knife, and torch. This also take 4 turns to do.

Or you can hit W, then *, b, b, b, b. This takes one turn.

The drop command let's you drop an a single item to the ground and return to the game.

So this really isn't a bug, just that the two commands are a little different.

I can release my source code tonight.

I had a posted a long message about the issues with the conversion. Maybe I'll post something on my website.

Later
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jul 01, 2010 3:24

Jocke The Beast wrote:When pressing "w" (wield) I get some message-bugs. For instance I press "w" then "*" then "a" for example. After that I need three presses at ESC to get back into the game.

As I thought, here is the code for drop.

Code: Select all

Sub drop ()

Dim com_val As integer
Dim i1 As Integer
Dim i2 as Integer
Dim redraw as byte
Dim out_val As vtype

If (inven_ctr > 0) then
      If (get_item(com_val,"Which one? ",redraw,1,inven_ctr)) then
         If (redraw=1) then draw_cave
'                with cave(char_row,char_col). do
         If (cave(char_row,char_col).tptr > 0) then
            msg_print("There is something there already.")
         Else
            inven_drop(com_val,char_row,char_col)
            objdes(out_val,inven_max,1)
            out_val = "Dropped " + out_val
            prt_cur_weight
            msg_print(out_val)
         endif
      else
         if (redraw=1) Then draw_cave
      End If
   Else
      msg_print("You are not carrying anything.")
   EndIf

End Sub

Drop only allows you to drop one thing at a time on a square. No point in staying in your inventory list if you can't drop more than one thing on a square!

But wear/wield * you can use multiple things at the same time.
Jocke The Beast

Postby Jocke The Beast » Jul 02, 2010 19:34

Just read this at your website, Moria devlog, and it was hillarious :)

I actually had fun, a Kobal opened a door, I closed it. It opened it, I closed it. It opened it again, I closed it. Very cartoonish!

Looking forwards to saturday for another release!
GOOD work so far!
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jul 03, 2010 1:53

Beta might get push to Saturday. I'm working on something pretty neat.

The Text size I have is 8 pixels across, and 16 pixels up an down.

Ok, The Amiga version of Umoria used 8 bit by 8 bit sprites. BUT, the Amiga monitor, I have one sitting right behind me now, would have stretch the up/down graphics, to rough 8 x 16.

Hmmm interesting coincidence....

It won't be my 6.0 with at least 14 x 14 graphics, but 8 x 16 from the Amiga doesn't look half bad.

I'll add a toggle to the Option screen to turn Amiga Graphics on or off.

I have tried to contact the guy who did the Amiga conversion, but so far I have been unable to find him.

So I can't get his permission to do this per se.

But what the heck. It will be a quick an fast graphic upgrade ot the game.

Covering about 90% of the graphics.

I have town people running around on build right now. But I can add other characters.

It will quite the challenge to patch the code to do this. But actually it will help with 6.0. I will just have to create the larger graphics, and make some adjustments on size. A there you go. I'm sure it will harder than that.

I've already go in the code, that if AmigaGfx don't exist, use the orignal Text letter.

I don't know if I'll have all of it done in Beta 2 by Sunday, but we will see..... Check out my page for some screen shots later today or tomorrow.
CommanderRaven

Postby CommanderRaven » Jul 04, 2010 3:24

Beta 2 will be out tomorrow. I hope. The good news except for a screen refresh after running, I'm not having any issues with my new Graphics engine using the Amiga Graphic files as source images.

I'm missing 99% of all objects at this point (Which is what all of the ? are), but this screen shot should show you what I'm up to.

The same scene with out the graphics.

Once I get done defining the items, I'm guessing at least 6 hours of work... then I'll be pretty close to ready to release it.

Until tomorrow. Working to midnight or later every night for last week, is finally wearing me down. I'm going to bed folks. See ya!

Return to “Game Dev”