Bullet-Cloud:New WIP sidescroller by ME!

Game development specific discussions.
vcatkiller

Bullet-Cloud:New WIP sidescroller by ME!

Post by vcatkiller »

Hi, long time lurker, first post here. :)

Thought I'd show off my new game I've been coding in FreeBASIC - it's a sidescrolling platform I've been coding on and off in my spare time for the last 3 months.

Find more details and download a test verion here!

Oh btw, I love FreeBASIC. I remember coding in QBasic with MSDOS 5 waaay back in high school, so it feels so wonderfully familiar to me. Keep up the good work! :D
Last edited by vcatkiller on Jan 11, 2008 5:08, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Hey man, this looks wonderful!
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

good job and nice to see fbsound in a game :-)
if you don't have a linux box someone here can compile it for Linux too.

Joshy
vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller »

Heh, just noticed I'd called it an fps in the subject title. *doh!* Fixed so I don't disappoint anybody... <_<

Hadn't considered a Linux build. The code's a mess, and so forth, but if anybody is willing to do Linux compiles of releases, I'm happy.

Actually I noticed I forgot to thank v1ctor in the text file too. I'm using a modified version of his timer code that I found on these forums a while back, just tweaked to compile with FB 18b3.

The rest of the code's mine though, honest. :)
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

Tried out your game last night. Pretty nice, and hard as well. I wasn't able to get more than 75 points or so, although I did notice my score going up as I played.

Good work, looking forward to future versions :)
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

vcatkiller wrote:<snip>
Hadn't considered a Linux build. The code's a mess, and so forth, but if anybody is willing to do Linux compiles of releases, I'm happy.
</snip>
I downloaded it t see if it compiled under Linux, but all I got was the executables! I saw one was a DLL. Do you have the source for the DLL also? What libraries did you use?

Or where is the source?

I did not try the game yet, as I downloaded to Linux.

Garvan

PS: It works fine under wine on Linux.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Yes. I got this as a submission for FBGD. Really cool. Only the movement is somewhat choppy. Probably my PC.

Looking forward seeing this complete.

Will try to play it for real later.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

It crashed for me, but I think its due to being FBGfx which for some reason simply doesn't work for me in fullscreen, maybe having a windowed alternative would be a good idea. Also ogg is your friend, cut your file size in half by converting all wav's and mp3's to ogg. It did run good, about 48fps until it started cutting out the music, hanging and then it crashed. But I am pretty sure its my incompatibility with fbgfx in fullscreen. It looks good, keep working on this for it is very promising and a lot better than other shooters I have seen.

Also noticed some of your graphics could be also reduced, like the starfield could easily be created during runtime, crop the title...etc...but I understand this is the beginning of your game which truly so far looks great. I just wish you had a windowed version...

DaBooda out...
vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller »

Sisophon2001 wrote:I downloaded it t see if it compiled under Linux, but all I got was the executables! I saw one was a DLL. Do you have the source for the DLL also? What libraries did you use?

Or where is the source?
Haven't actually released the source yet. It's pulling up waaay too many warnings. (mostly the timing code - it's legacy code from a time when #option explicit was still roaming the earth :p)

If you can grit your teeth and ignore all the current warnings, click here.

The DLL is from FBSound 0.03G. The source for that is here.

WARNING! Very messy code. Honestly. I'm sure all the more experienced game programmers will look and shake their heads. :D

Glad it runs under WINE though. :)
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

It runs under Linux also with no modifications required. Nice work.

The warnings are simple to get rid of. Let me know if you do not understand any of them.

Garvan

EDIT: If somebody needs a Linux compiled binary version, I can upload it some place, but I think most Linux users will be able to compile the source if they have the latest version of fbsound, and the latest version of the compiler..
Last edited by Sisophon2001 on Jan 13, 2008 0:08, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Gash, this is wickedly addictive. But I can't get more than 236 points. Ever thought about giving more lives to the player? The game is really too difficult.
SSC

Post by SSC »

Very nice, I like it. I think one of the reasons people are saying it's too difficult is that it is very easy to hit walls and such. Maybe remove the damage from hitting the walls or make it to where you can hit a wall every so often or something. Either that or make it to where you can get hit 2 or 3 times before death and have health pack powerups. Just my thoughts ^^ either way nice game.
vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller »

Yeah, now you guys mention it, the difficulty on that release was way over the top. I just made myself play it then, and wow. Next release will have a difficulty of a lot lower setting, I've tweaked the level so at least most people might make it to the first boss with some practice. Still working on the level design, but I guess that's half the fun...
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

great effort so far, i think the enemy bullets should be a bit smaller and the ship move a bit faster and it'd be better.