fbsound 1.0 Win/Lin 32/64-bit (wav mp3 ogg mod it xm s3m)

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
vdecampo

Re: fbSound for Linux x86 Win32 (wav mp3 ogg mod it xm s3m)

Post by vdecampo »

Where is the latest version of FB Sound?

-Vince
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Last version (32-bit only) are 0.20 from Nov 22, 2014 see first page of this thread.

Joshy
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

I downloaded this version but I can't get it to work with the latest FB version. Errors from linker. Have you tried it?

See thread @...

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... =8&t=24634

-Vince
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

D.J.Peters wrote:Sorry I stopped the development of FBSound, it's dead.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

D.J.Peters wrote:
D.J.Peters wrote:Sorry I stopped the development of FBSound, it's dead.
That is a shame. I really liked it.
Have you considered releasing the source code?

-Vince
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

@Vince fbSound are free and the sorcecode are included !

Why not using lib Bass or FMOD 32/64-bit ?

Believe it or not I wrote more then a half million lines of code for the FreeBASIC community in the past 10 years
But only a hand full of users find it usefull so I stop my contribution and spent my free time for my own projects now.

Joshy
St_W

Post by St_W »

I guess a major problem with fbSound is its extensive use of assembly and other low-level code, which would make a port to newer non-x86 versions of FreeBasic quite hard.

There's (at least) one major benefit of fbSound over BASS or FMOD: it's free and its sources are available.
D.J.Peters wrote:But only a hand full of users find it usefull so I stop my contribution and spent my free time for my own projects now.
I guess a reason for this is the closed/isolated development style, so you don't get a lot of feedback from actual users. If the project was on a community development platform like GitHub or BitBucket you'd probably receive feedback from the users in terms of tickets and pull requests, among others.
chung

Post by chung »

D.J.Peters wrote:But only a hand full of users find it usefull.
i dont agree. my program "midipiano_chung" and thus fbsound has been downloaded 8800 times at sourceforge.net .No need of new features , just keep it working ...
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

D.J.Peters wrote: Believe it or not I wrote more then a half million lines of code for the FreeBASIC community in the past 10 years
But only a hand full of users find it usefull so I stop my contribution and spent my free time for my own projects now.
Joshy
As a user myself, my problem with all the good stuff found around FB is that there is not any environment that makes the choice to help the integration of some sample of them, even for restricted styles of project. For instance a sort of graphical IDE that could include FBSOUND by drag and drop and allow some tuning via properties, with one or two other multimedia lib, would get the users started. Then by analysing the resulting code one could use the libs in any project.

At least it's in my case, getting started that I find difficult with hand-included libraries (like most of windows users I guess). Anyway this is not at all a problem of quality of the lib.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

vdecampo wrote:I downloaded this version but I can't get it to work with the latest FB version. Errors from linker. Have you tried it?

See thread @...

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... =8&t=24634

-Vince

I managed to recompile with the latest release of the compiler (1.05.0)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trnv2crlpn1a4 ... 0.zip?dl=0

Everything seems to work except for loading OGG files. I am not 100% convinced that is not because of my computer here, so if someone could test it I would appreciate it.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

Half a month and no one has tested this out? I can see why DJ Peters decided to give it up.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Imortis wrote:Half a month and no one has tested this out? I can see why DJ Peters decided to give it up.
I downloaded it and looked at your changes back then. IIRC there were only some minor changes and I wasn't in need of a library for audio output meanwhile so I didn't test further or comment.

The major issue with this library is that large parts of it are written in x86 Assembly. A design error and valid reason to give it up (or rewrite).
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

St_W wrote:
Imortis wrote:Half a month and no one has tested this out? I can see why DJ Peters decided to give it up.
I downloaded it and looked at your changes back then. IIRC there were only some minor changes and I wasn't in need of a library for audio output meanwhile so I didn't test further or comment.

The major issue with this library is that large parts of it are written in x86 Assembly. A design error and valid reason to give it up (or rewrite).
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to hear from vdecampo or chung as they were both people who expressed a desire to see the library work on newer compilers.

As to the assembly, I do not know enough of what is going on to be able to re-write that. I am always looking for ways that I can help the community with my limited time and skill. I was more concerned about the OGG playback as I was not sure if that was broken or it was just the machine I am on not playing nice. I think I have more chance (currently) of being able to fix that than of being able to re-write the ASM blocks.

If I put in the time to figure out exactly what the ASM is doing, I may be able to replace it with something more portable but less speedy. But I would only put in the effort if anyone was actually interested in the project moving forward.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Imortis wrote: I was hoping to hear from vdecampo or chung as they were both people who expressed a desire to see the library work on newer compilers.
Initial tests compile and run. I haven't had much time to try to update my game with the latest version to make sure everything works. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for getting it working.

-Vince
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

I get this error when attempting to run anything
fbc wrote:E:\prod\programming\fb\z store\DJ Peters\fbsound0.20\tests\FBTEMP.bas() warning 20(2): Object files or libraries with mixed multithreading (-mt) options, ../lib/win32\libfbsound.a