MiniB3d for FreeBasic

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Unfortunately, you are right.

Anyway, you can do a very big terrain (since it uses LOD), so tiling is usually not required.
Also, even in Blitz3d tiling terrains is not a good idea: in fact, since the level of detail is automatically adjusted, vertices of the two terrains might not fit perfectly, and you will see an ugly "crack" in the terrain (even worse, the collision system won't work perfectly, and you might fall below the ground).

If you want to tile terrains, you should do (both in Blitz3d, and in MiniB3d) an intermediate tile: two tiles should share a portion of the map, and when you are going closer to the border of a tile, the second tile should simply replace it (you won't see the swap, since the tiles overlap, and so the terrain around you will be identical)
This solution is simpler, and also faster than tiling two terrains (since you will have only one terrain to render on the scene at the same time)

BTW, I was thinking about a wiki about it (at the moment, one of the biggest problem is the lack of documentation).

Should I create it on wikia, or elsewhere? Or maybe a solution like "wiki on a stick" (offline documentation)?

I'm open for suggestions!
BastetFurry

Post by BastetFurry »

Wiki on a stick seems like a good idea.
BTW, does the lib try to cull objects that are behind other objects or would the programmer need to do that manualy?
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Object that are behind others are not culled: otherwise, transparent objects would have problems.

You can always use "HideEntity".
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

anymore news on documentation? I would appreciate it greatly! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Thanks!
angros47

Post by angros47 »

I'm going to create a wiki, for the documentation.

The address will be:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/m ... mands-list

At the moment, it's not ready yet.
Domso

Post by Domso »

hello,
i have a little problem. I've created with blender and makehuman this person.

but after importing into my program it does not look well.

Can someone help me
angros47

Post by angros47 »

It seems that the image is "inside-out". Try using "FlipMesh" on it.

If it doesn't work, try exporting it in 3ds and in b3d, and load it in both formats.

If you used textures, remember that they have to be in the same directory.

Also, if you are using linux, check that case matches, in file names.
Domso

Post by Domso »

I tried it with FlipMesh and now it works fine.
Thanks for the fast help.
veggie

Post by veggie »

Wonderful conversion, thank you!

I may try using C as I am not good at C++ as well as FB... its a very flexible lib! :D
super_castle

Post by super_castle »

minib3d.bi ok.

minib3d.dll , the file does not exist in the demo.zip

gruss
angros47

Post by angros47 »

leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

ok, I tried... I really did... been fiddling around with "Bird.bas" and "Air.Bas", and did manage to do 'some' things.... but I really need a manual of some sort of documentation to learn this stuff! Any luck in that department yet?

Good job, BTW! It looks like a very easy way to throw some stuff up 3D wise without delving into the depths of OpenGL..
angros47

Post by angros47 »

leopardpm wrote:ok, I tried... I really did... been fiddling around with "Bird.bas" and "Air.Bas", and did manage to do 'some' things.... but I really need a manual of some sort of documentation to learn this stuff! Any luck in that department yet?
Im' very slowly working on the wiki...

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/m ... mands-list

Anyway, most commands are the same of Blitz3D

http://blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/docs.php

There are many tutorials for blitz3d, and most demos can be ported.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

yeah, I tried the Blitz tuts, but there are enough differences in coding that my novice knowledge of FreeBasic code really gets in the way of figuring out if a line of code will work or not, and how to fix it to make it work FB-like.

I will keep an eye out for the wiki - thanks!
angros47

Post by angros47 »

The most important differences between blitz3d and freebasic+minib3d are:

1) 2d commands: they are completely different (since freebasic already has its own 2d library, it's pointless to add another set of 2d commands; but fb commands are different from blitz3d)

2) the for...each command: this blitz3d command is really useful, and used in many tutorials; in freebasic, it's not immediately available (it has to be implemented through linked lists)

To make FreeBasic more similar to Blitz3d, consider compiling with -lang fblite; it will work (you'll get, at compile time, some warnings "passing scalar as pointer": you can ignore them)