fbSound for Linux x86 Win32 (wav mp3 ogg mod it xm s3m)

External libraries (GTK, GSL, SDL, Allegro, OpenGL, etc) questions.
St_W

Re: fbSound for Linux x86 Win32 (wav mp3 ogg mod it xm s3m)

Postby St_W » Nov 18, 2017 12:23

D.J.Peters wrote:Licenses of used libs are included in the doc folder libDumb.txt, libMad.txt and libVorbis.txt
Thank you, I see. What is still missing is the license for your code.
mrToad

Postby mrToad » Nov 18, 2017 14:23

What, are you afraid that he might take you to court one day? Just take screenshots of this conversation. xD

Just a joke...
St_W

Postby St_W » Nov 18, 2017 15:09

mrToad wrote:What, are you afraid that he might take you to court one day? Just take screenshots of this conversation. xD
haha, no :-). I also do not have any plans where I'd need audio support. I just wanted to encourage people to take licencing seriously and do it properly. Similar to bad code bad licensing might cause troubles in future. As D.J.Peters usually creates good code that is useful for at least some people proper licensing is especially important. On the other hand when we consider bad code, which probably wouldn't be used by anyone anyway, licensing is not really an issue.

And proper licensing usually isn't hard. Just have a look at the existing licenses and choose a suitable one. I've already referred to the Choose-A-License initiative by GitHub, one of the biggest global code hosters.
Last edited by St_W on Nov 18, 2017 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
paul doe

Postby paul doe » Nov 18, 2017 15:12

St_W wrote:
D.J.Peters wrote:Licenses of used libs are included in the doc folder libDumb.txt, libMad.txt and libVorbis.txt
Thank you, I see. What is still missing is the license for your code.

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing it out, I've never thought of it that way. In fact, I believed that code without license defaulted to 'public domain' instead of copyrighted.

@Joshy: this is the license that I'll pick for my code: http://www.wtfpl.net/

As you can see, it's a very permisive license LOL
D.J.Peters

Postby D.J.Peters » Nov 18, 2017 18:09

My (none FreeBASIC) software pays all my bills since 30 years now.
The commercial stuff is all closed source and copyright by my.
My customers accept the German law when buying.

All my own FreeBASIC stuff is hobby and absolutely free and open source.
If I compile libs from other sources for FreeBASIC the source code (if changed by me) or only the original license if any are included.

Joshy
St_W

Postby St_W » Nov 18, 2017 23:19

D.J.Peters wrote:All my own FreeBASIC stuff is hobby and absolutely free and open source.
It is still your code and copyrighted by you - especially in Germany where no such thing like putting code in 'public domain' exists. From a legal point you have to explicitly grant people the right to use/modify/distribute/etc. your code, this isn't automatically granted when you publish the source code. So without your permission people may not do anything with your code. Normally these rights are granted by a license (e.g. MIT license). I'm doubtful whether saying that your code is "absolutely free and open source" is sufficient from a legal perspective. I'd guess that it's not, but I'm no lawyer. Because of that I don't want to dive deeper into the licensing topic.

Again, I just wanted to make people aware of that. Your code and your use of code from other sources are totally fine. And I'm really thankful for all the useful code you've contributed to FB over the last years. In practice the licensing issue is probably neglectible too as I hope you won't sue us now or in future :-), but ideally a proper license would exactly define what users are allowed to do with your code (and what not). (Because it will always stay your code.)
mrToad

Postby mrToad » Nov 19, 2017 16:47

St_W wrote:Again, I just wanted to make people aware of that. [...] a proper license would exactly define what users are allowed to do with your code (and what not). (Because it will always stay your code.)

Yup I agree, it is a good thing for us all to at least be aware of. And a good practice that I will use now. Plainly a thing that only becomes an issue when the author makes it an issue, and so generally not much to worry about when the author expressively doesn't care. I'm hoping that we have at least enough trust in this long-time FB community that we needn't be paranoid. Those things are just in place to protect authors by default, and I'm glad they are. But the author is the one that has to pull the trigger, and as most of us were thinking it's public domain by default, I don't think we ever had such an intention.

All the same, good to know, and good to practice!
MrSwiss

Postby MrSwiss » Nov 20, 2017 12:49

The issue isn't really new, it has been discussed in the past ...
In the case linked below, it's about reposting (translated) code,
from this forum and, asking for permission, to do so.
just about a year ago ...
Even that, is actually covered by copyright law (for those, not
yet aware of it).

Return to “Libraries”