The "Standard Resources" RPG Competition

Game development specific discussions.
Eponasoft

The "Standard Resources" RPG Competition

Postby Eponasoft » Aug 22, 2007 4:17

I have decided to run a little competition of my own, basing it partly on ideas from Lachie (past and present). I will outline all of the rules right here.

- The competition starts RIGHT NOW! It will end on November 1st.
- This is a traditional RPG competition, meaning only traditional-style games are accepted. Zelda-alikes or other non-traditional games are not permitted. I will likely run a similar competition later for Zelda-alikes.
- Upon completion of the competition, we at Eponasoft will decide the winner based on various attributes such as cohesiveness of the storyline, technical ability of the game engine, and overall polish. I will, of course, also hold a public poll to see which game the public prefers.
- Teams are allowed.
- All submissions must be programmed to the following technical specifications:
--- The game must be programmed in Freebasic, and source code is required (prevents cheating).
--- You are limited to a resolution of 640x480 pixels. No other resolutions are accepted. Any bitdepth is permitted.
--- The game must compile and run in Windows. You will, of course, earn extra technical points for a cross-platform entry.
--- Your entry must be in a playable form upon submission. Walk-around demos are not games.
--- You are required to use a "standard competition package", which contains graphics, music, and sound effects. These resources must be used in the development of your product. This file is here:
http://eponasoft.com/rpgcompo/
This is the complete set of resources as used by RPG Maker 95.
--- Additional graphics, such as dialogs and title screens, can be produced separately and are not subject to the rules of the compo pack. In addition, you are free to use any font you wish to use.
--- You may use any graphical and sound library you wish to use, provided they can work with the compo pack.
--- As per Lachie's suggestion, the theme of the game is "members of the community". That means that members of the FB community are to be used in your game. Other than that storyline detail, anything goes.

As for the grand prize? It is rather unique; we will include your game as a "bonus game" in our next upcoming commercial game release. More details on this to follow in the coming weeks.

To enter, simply respond to this thread, stating your intent to compete. Then, make sure you submit an entry before the deadline.
SSC

Postby SSC » Aug 22, 2007 11:18

As I am already working on a rather large RPG project I wont be entering, but I was wondering . . . that art is all from RPG Maker isn't it? I toyed around with it before I got serious with programming.
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Aug 22, 2007 12:08

Yes. I chose this package because I wanted the focus of this to be on technical skill and the ability to put together a storyline. By using a standard resource package, everyone will have the same access to good graphics and decent sound, so they can concentrate on other things. It's usually the basis of music module contests; using a "compo sample pack" and seeing what kind of song you can make with the samples you're given.
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » Aug 22, 2007 17:31

Zelda isn't a traditional RPG?
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Aug 22, 2007 20:10

No. Zelda is an action/adventure game.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Aug 22, 2007 21:55

Perhaps specifying what makes a traditional RPG wouldn't be bad, just to avoid misunderstandings.
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Aug 22, 2007 22:32

How 'bout:

Traditional RPG means a 2d scrolling RPG with a character who walks around and gets into turn-based battles (NOT attacking while walking, which is more realistic but less fun IMHO), performs quests, and follows a set of steps to progress throughout the game. RPG characters have items and stats that can level up, though the monsters also get harder to fight - including bosses.

Is that good Lachie?
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Aug 23, 2007 7:18

notthecheatr: That pretty much sums it up, gameplay-wise. Thanks.
TheFlipSide

Postby TheFlipSide » Aug 23, 2007 8:29

Some little questions (to specify):
- I've a scripting engine laying around somewhere (written in FB), can it be used?
- Is it allowed to use ingame movies, rendered by an animation package?
- inline assembler comes with fb, can it be used?
- Is it enough to give some of the characters the name of the members of the fb community or must a real storyline be build around fb?

If I have enough time, I will join the competition...

Greetz
badmrbox

Postby badmrbox » Aug 23, 2007 12:54

I might join up for this. Using "members of the community" could be a very interesting thing.
Imortis

Postby Imortis » Aug 23, 2007 13:37

I would love to take place in this compo, but I have no skill... At least not with that kind of programming. I'm still having problems with collision stuff...

[offtopic]
If anyone wants to use me as a character, make me the ruggedly handsome news paper man who slays dragons in his spare time. :-)
[/offtopic]
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Aug 23, 2007 14:22

TheFlipSide wrote:- I've a scripting engine laying around somewhere (written in FB), can it be used?

Yes.

TheFlipSide wrote:- Is it allowed to use ingame movies, rendered by an animation package?

Yes, provided your game doesn't focus around movies.

TheFlipSide wrote:- inline assembler comes with fb, can it be used?

Yes.

TheFlipSide wrote:- Is it enough to give some of the characters the name of the members of the fb community or must a real storyline be build around fb?

The game need not be based on FB itself, just around the members. Anything goes, really, as long as members of the FB community are used.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Aug 23, 2007 20:42

notthecheatr, thanks for clearing that up, but I don't think this issue was so obvious it needed no elaboration. I mean, even Wikipedia is not clear on this. I was mainly asking because I remembered all those nitpicky questions regarding ciw1973's compo. If I didn’t ask, someone else would most definitely.

I probably won't be in the opportunity to participate, so I'm not sure if I should comment some of the rules and what I think that should have been done differently. Epona, if curious, just say so. Otherwise, good luck with the compo.
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Aug 23, 2007 22:11

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:notthecheatr, thanks for clearing that up, but I don't think this issue was so obvious it needed no elaboration. I mean, even Wikipedia is not clear on this. I was mainly asking because I remembered all those nitpicky questions regarding ciw1973's compo. If I didn’t ask, someone else would most definitely.

I probably won't be in the opportunity to participate, so I'm not sure if I should comment some of the rules and what I think that should have been done differently. Epona, if curious, just say so. Otherwise, good luck with the compo.

I don't disagree... being a concrete mind I have trouble with such things too. I think we all knew what he meant, but you have a good point - if we don't say what we mean, we leave ourselves open to people who want to fudge with the rules.

BTW I won't be competing either, my RPG is far from being complete.
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Aug 24, 2007 12:37

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I probably won't be in the opportunity to participate, so I'm not sure if I should comment some of the rules and what I think that should have been done differently. Epona, if curious, just say so. Otherwise, good luck with the compo.

Lachie, I always value your opinion, so feel free to comment.

Return to “Game Dev”