RTS: Moon Project v0.5 released!

Game development specific discussions.
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

No, turrets can't be destroyed yet.

The food grows with the expansion rate of the plants, the more water pumps you place the more plants are growing the more food you have ;-)

It's a bit complicated I know, I will introduce a different and hopefully better resource system into the game in a newer version.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Once more, any chance of providing a no sound version? No sense in forcing us to download 15 MB packages while the game is developing. I see no reason that you don't provide a no sound version. If I'm not mistaken, you wouldn't even have to make any changes to the code if you are using FMOD. Just provide one more archive without the mp3 and wav files.
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Sorry, here you go, the latest version without the background music files (1,3MB):

http://www.file-upload.net/download-598 ... d.rar.html

I quickly added a zoom-map feature yesterday night, press M to toggle it on/off.

Lachie, any chance you would rate this a 13 in the FB games directory now? ;-)
Lachie Dazdarian

Hmm...Moon Project got 12/20? Forgot about that. :P

But I think that was mostly due the lack of missing features. I'm pretty sure this version would get a higher score, but I urge you to compile a complete version before insisiting from me to add the current demo to FBGD (again).

I'm glad you gave up on 3D version until completing the 2D one. Did I read this right?
Lachie Dazdarian

I'm looking for the latest full (with sound) version of this game. The last link Alex posted says the file has been removed for the host.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

It's not just him. Full staff rating there.

As I recall, the original Moon Project that I tested was fun, but lacking, and buggy/flawed. I'll probably test the latest version sooner or later. Please keep working on this game. Was one of my favorite projects...
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

anonymous1337 wrote:
It's not just him. Full staff rating there.

As I recall, the original Moon Project that I tested was fun, but lacking, and buggy/flawed. I'll probably test the latest version sooner or later. Please keep working on this game. Was one of my favorite projects...
I wasn't staff at the time, but I concur. This is one of the nicer FB projects I've seen, and you have potential to get even higher than 13 if you work at it.
Lachie Dazdarian

I'm still looking for the latest (ver.0.6.1 ?) full version to test.

Anyone has it?
banon

Post by banon »

in v 05 i get 510 fps, if it is any help.
very well optimized methinks. way better than i could do
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=188.0

I've rewritten most parts of the code, no new additions though. Updates, as scarce as they may be, will continue on FB Games Directory Forums from now on.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Hey guys... I hate to bump such an old thread, but i was wondering of anyone might have copies of those images I created for this game? I'd appreciate it if you could post them here if you do. :)
Alex Khan

Re: RTS: Moon Project v0.5 released!

Post by Alex Khan »

AlexZ wrote:UPDATE v0.5 - 04 Jan 2008

New version of the game available! Get it here!

Screenshots

Hey there,

I made my first small game with FB, it's a mix of RTS and Economy Simulation, nothing too fancy but overall a nice game to waste 10min when you need to :-P

Description
You have landed on Moon and your goal is to sort of Gaia transform it to make it habitable. You do so by building water pumps that will make plants grow who then produce an atmosphere. To build water pumps you will need to build Metal Mines, Habitats, Solar Panels and Research Centers. Habitats can only be built with enough food which is also produced by the plants, so you really need to take care what you build or you are out of ressources and you can't finish the game. Though, I've balanced it to make it very easy, so don't worry.

Additional Info
There is no intro, no save/load option, nothing. You directly jump into the game, also the graphics are probably not the best. I didn't bother creating nice tiles, I'm no artist, but if anyone is interested in doing better ones or can point me to where I can find better tiles I will update the game with them.

Tips
- Build the water pumps in valleys (dark zones), plants grow quicker and expand further, which means more food for you.
- Concentrate on building Metal Mines in the beginning of the game, you can never have enough ;-)

My best time to the end of the game was around 10min, good luck!

Alex can you please atleast document how you built this game?

Some source code a few tutorials here and there :)

For Noobs like me.
oog

Post by oog »

New Version of AlexZ's Moon Project

This is an enhanced version of AlexZ's old game with some new features and bugfixes from me.

What's new:
Intro Screen - Information about the mission.
Build System - You can (and have to) use Supply Lines and Walls. Buildings and Fabs must be placed next to walls and supply lines. Highlighted green fields show you the possible locations. Start with a supply line.
Simulation Report - Calculates your score with detailed informations.
When you reached 100% Atmosphere, you can click OK to end the game or CANCEL to continue as long as you want.

Download sound effects and graphics here:
http://proog.de/dl/moonproject/MoonProject_dl.zip

You need "fmod.dll" for playing music and sounds:
http://www.fmod.org/download/

Download Song here:
https://www.jamendo.com/album/1496/electronic-space
Save song as "electronic_space.mp3" in your Moon Project Subdirectory
St_W

Post by St_W »

Really nice game.

On which version is your modification based on? Because unfortunately all the download links to the original version seem to be offline.
The latest original version seems to be 0.72 or 0.73 beta: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=188.0
oog

Post by oog »

St_W wrote:... Because unfortunately all the download links to the original version seem to be offline.
The latest ...
Yes, this seem to be true also for the latest version 0.72 / 0.73.

I think I made those changes to an early version of the game, which I found the last days in an old archive. There are no Scouts or Harvester and the map can't be zoomed.
However, I like it.