RTS: Moon Project v0.5 released!

Game development specific discussions.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Yeah, I can do that. I highly recommend using opengl too. It'll be easy to blend the tiles together. :)
TbbW

Post by TbbW »

feature requests:

scroll with arrow keys.
hotkeys for "upgrade" and "demolish". ( prolly add some for building selection aswell later? like press Q more ten once to first select Controle center and then Lvl2,3,1,2,3 like hop between em )

remember the Team selection in the CnC games ?
Ctrl+number = add selected troups to group [number]
then press i.e 1 to get em selected ( miss that with the lil sonar thingy ).
also when the sonar is moving... heh... *clicks like mad* argh! missed it! *clicks some more*

also noticed a bug with the demolish function... the population and electrisity usage does not decrease when a building is removed.
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

you could use the YAGL library too.
that uses opengl but is built for 2d games.
it makes blitting images and text really easy.
there is a link to it on the site I believe.
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

Only problem with YAGL is it is a pretty big set of dlls to include and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been updated in quite some time.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Well, implementation of OpenGL (or YAGL, for that matter) would definitely kill the game for me. And I think it's a drastic measure only to zoom in/out the game, a feature not so desired by others.

I'm not sure if using D.J.Peters multiput rountine could do the trick here.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I consider moving to hardware a pretty big step in the right direction myself. Some people here can't run that kind of code, but that's where you begin considering who you do and who you don't support, specification wise.
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

well if it doesn't affect anything but the draw code you could have two versions of the game, one with and one without...the one without possibly having less features.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Lachie, can you try this? http://file-pasta.com/d/351.zip

If that runs ok, then MoonSim should work fine on your pc with opengl. ;)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Dr_D, that program craws like a dead cat on my PC (under 1 FPS). God, why?

Anyway, after installing new ATI drivers, the 2D version of Sokoban did run faster on my PC, so the new drivers had an EFFECT, but ridiculously small.
TbbW

Post by TbbW »

found another bug:
if you upgrade with reasearch buildings and click on a controle tower you cant afford ( due to to little energy,population,metal or simular )
you can then "paint" out green spots without building the actual controle building and then build ur houses at the new green spots ( this whas the one time bug i mentioned b4, i managed to replicate it )

and dont use Yagl... let it die... it's not even maintained anymore... and you _HAFTO_ ship all dll files with the final game even if you use em or not just coz you included yagl.
use stormy's tutorial... change it abit and you got a werry good opengl engine basicly custom made for you'r game... and if you have problems i'm sure you will get the answer if you asked here on the forum :)
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

yeah good points about YAGL.
don't pay any attention to my post earlier! my bad!
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Here is a new version of the game with minor updates. See the changelog for what is new or read below:

Fixed:

- fixed green paint bug
- fixed energy/population not decreasing when demolishing buildings

Added:

- switch HUD on/off with TAB
- stop music with "s", increase volume with "q", decrease volume with "a"
- quit screen (press esc to quit)
- "loading" image
- scroll with arrow keys

Changes:

- removed large parts of the HUD

Download:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-368 ... t.rar.html
Dio

Post by Dio »

Why no source code this time?
I found a few bugs:
even with the HUD turned off, the game still reacted as if it were there. for example, the HUD is off and i can still click where the metal mine (for ex.)was/is and then build one.

Speaking of the HUD, the first time i ran the game it put me at the very right hand edge. the last few columns are covered up (regardless if the HUD is invisible or not) I am unable to build there. the right hand edge of the big map should come the the edge of the HUD and not the screen.

also, I am able to build buildings under that flying thing.

So anyway, I think it is a fun game but it needs to be a bit more challenging. After you get the max research and build many metal mines it is just a matter of placing pumps and control towers around the map with one central hub.
Dio

Post by Dio »

Another bug: I can get the upgrades even when i haven't got that far in R&D. You just click on the ? button and build. The catch is, is that you have to be able to "afford" it anyway.
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Wow, since this is the first time I'm programming a game I'm really surprised about all the things you have to think of. The complexity is rising linearly ;-)

Dio: I fixed all the bugs, thanks for pointing them out.

I know the game goal isn't very challenging. Actually I just starting coding it without really having a plan about where I wanted to go with it. Before I started I just wanted to see how I could program a RTS, it's the "how to do it" that makes the programming interesting for me.