Status On gcc backend

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
speedbasic

Status On gcc backend

Post by speedbasic »

Is there somewhere to get the progress of the gcc backend???

Thanks
arenth

Post by arenth »

The GCC backend is somewhere between 0% and 100% complete.

I think these questions are pointless as they wont further the progress of the project, and all they serve to do is frustrate and annoy people...
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

Isn't it a frontend
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Maybe it was a bad idea to have announced the GCC move so early. I'm sure though by now V1ctor has the answer to the GCC questions copied and pasted into notepad...
Rudiger

Busy hands are happy hands.

Post by Rudiger »

I think everyone should be happy that people are posting things here. even if some of the posts may be spastically genius. Bear in mind that the person whining about how how FB doesn't work like Visual Basic or Java might actually contribute something useful to the project someday. If announcing plans for GCC leads to one implemented suggestion for a nice new feature or avoids a possible festering quagmire of inefficiencies or inconsistencies that ultimately result in a declaration of force majeure, then "Ban the torpedos! Full steam ahead!"

If some of the posts here cause your knickers to ride up, go visit the forums for one of the Cobol to C projects. No one there will ever offend you. No one's been there in years.

If I ever get to meet the FB developers in person, I will be sure to give them a laurel and hearty handshake and thank you for a job well done. Don't get discouraged or quit because of a few whining psychotic malcontents. What if President Truman had quit after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

There's a long way to go, migrating a 60+k LOC complex project to a 400k LOC one that a magnitude more complex will take time, worse when the compiler depends on itself to build, if i break any part it won't bootstrap, and that's too easy to do as pretty much every module depends on another to work properly.

It took me around 2 weeks of crashes to get FB to compile itself for the first time, checking 100k+ lines of the asm code generated to see what was wrong, as there was no debugging support. Getting FB to bootstrap itself as a GCC frontend will take much more than that, but when it's done there will be no way back, as it happened in the days it was been coded in VBDOS.
DrV
Site Admin

Post by DrV »

cha0s wrote:Isn't it a frontend
It is a gcc frontend, but not in the sense you are probablty thinking (it doesn't generate C). There are frontends for C and C++ (the best-known), Fortran, Ada, and a number of other languages (Shakespeare? :).
Rudiger wrote:Don't get discouraged or quit because of a few whining psychotic malcontents. What if President Truman had quit after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Quite a head-scratcher... :P

Post by 1000101 »

DrV wrote:
Rudiger wrote:Don't get discouraged or quit because of a few whining psychotic malcontents. What if President Truman had quit after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Quite a head-scratcher... :P
Then maybe Americans wouldn't use history texts written by Americans XD
arenth

Post by arenth »

Don't get discouraged or quit because of a few whining psychotic malcontents. What if President Truman had quit after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Damn the Germans and the Japanese bombed pearl harbour? The world must really hate pearl harbour, whose next in line Canada?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I hate to aid this thread going off topic, but we all know Canada doesn't have bombers..
Rudiger

Oh Canada!

Post by Rudiger »

They do have a bomber. It's in a museum in Quebec between the Dudley Doright and Seal Clubbing exhibits.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

DrV wrote:
cha0s wrote:Isn't it a frontend
It is a gcc frontend, but not in the sense you are probablty thinking
hmm, what sense am i thinking? =)

i'm not a compiler writer, but since i have studied it a tiny bit, i had guessed that it has to do with matching the IR that the gcc uses? i would love if someone could actually explain what it means to port fb to gcc.

@ the post above me: lmao
BastetFurry

Re: Busy hands are happy hands.

Post by BastetFurry »

HEY! We never got anywhere near Pearl Harbor! ;)
I didnt even managed that in Axis and Allies or even Blitzkrieg General (Two fine WW2 strategic board games)
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

ot: Axis and Allies is a cool game.

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by 1000101 »

Ryan wrote:I hate to aid this thread going off topic, but we all know Canada doesn't have bombers..
Rudiger wrote:They do have a bomber. It's in a museum in Quebec between the Dudley Doright and Seal Clubbing exhibits.
Yeah? And we still managed to beat yo American asses three times :P

Naw, our military sucks now. We used the have the third largest and one the best funded armies in the world. Now street gangs in LA have more numbers and better hardware. :\