Kids of Karendow

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Blair

Kids of Karendow

Post by Blair »

Hello all,

For those of you who were around in the qbasic community about 5 years ago might remember an RPG called Kids of Karendow. For those of you know, we split the game up into multiple chapters and we never completed chapter 2.

Today I announce that Kids of Karendow is coming back. The old Karendow source code will be compiled in Freebasic and the game will be continued (and improved, a lot) from the existing code. It will be the entire story of Kids of Karendow told in one game.

Blair
jofers

Post by jofers »

Yeah, I remember KoK.. great news, man!

Whatever happened to the C++ version with the 3d battle screens?
Blair

Post by Blair »

We bit off more than we could chew for that. The game was getting extremely complex for just the 2 of us to code and get done.

Blair
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Kok was one of my favorite QB games. I've played it several times.. though never all the way through : p, and my little brother beat it several times. I always checked back to see when chapter 2 would appear, so this is very very good news. ^_^
Blair

Post by Blair »

It's always good to hear from a fan of the original :)
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

KOK woow!

They do come back!
Blair

Update

Post by Blair »

Hello all,

I've only posted on one forum and it's great to see how much responce there has been!

I'll give you all a quick update. We are over any major hurdles for the conversion of the code into FreeBasic, I suspect that with in the next week or 2 we will be releasing the original Kids of Karendow compiled in 32 bits so people can play it without the use of any DOS emulation tools.

Here are things that are happening for sure for the project presently dubbed" Karendow Revisited":
- A comprehensive scripting engine that will allow for easier cutscene creation and allow us to improve upon the current cutscenes
- A few sweeping changes to the battle engine, they won't look so Final Fantasy in style.
- Some new music
- The entire Karendow story as was originally envisioned by Phat Games more than 7 years ago (which means a MUCH longer game with more areas, dungeons and so on)
- More mini games
- An overall cleaned up and more polished look to the game

Here is a list of changes that would be nice to have:
- New graphics (the ones we were going to use for Karendow 2)

Is there anything else people would like to see in the new KoK?

Thanks,

Blair
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

The return pf PHAT games?! Yihaa! Great to hear that KoK will be alive once again with a fb version. Loved the qb version (I still remember that the sound was freaking nice) :)

So, keep us posted!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, I thought the sound and mini-games from the original were great. Quiz baby... how about the lumberjack. hah Or the poop shooting toilets. ^_^
barok

Post by barok »

KoK?!?! Awesome! Man, I loved that game! Definately one of the best qb games out there, and now that it'll be in 32 bits, that means I'll actually hear the sound! :D
Blair

Quick Update

Post by Blair »

Hello all,

The 32bit conversion is about 1/3 the way done. It's going quite smoothly and I suspect that it won't be a whole lot more time until the rerelease of Kids of Karendow Chapter 1. I am likely going to set up a blog(that is until we get another Phat Games site up and running) that will contain progess reports on KoK. I'll let everyone know when this is done and provide the URL.

Blair
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

We'd be much obliged. ^_^ Glad to hear things are going well!
Blair

Conversion nearly complete

Post by Blair »

Hello all,

I know I said I was going to set up a Kids of Karendow web log and post news on there but I haven't done it :( I apologize. In good news, the time I have not been spending on setting up any sort of web log or website is time that has been invested into the Karendow conversion. The code conversion is extremely close to being done. It may very well be done by the weekend (that would be a version without sound effects but it has music). The Karendow Revisited project may start as early as next week. Will there be any sort of demo released of this new Karendow game? Don't count on it, I'm afraid. If there is a demo there would only be one unlike the four or five that we released when we did the original Karendow several years ago.

That's all for now,

Blair