Panda Hack

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
N3trunn3r

Panda Hack

Post by N3trunn3r »

Hi, i am from the BlitzBasic community, tried FreeBASIC and i have to say that FreeBASIC has a very high quality/same as commercial BlitzBasic and i want to use it because it's free. However to learn FreeBASIC i wrote a little game called "Panda Hack", have fun with it:

Panda Hack is a Rogue like where the game purpose is
to hunt pandas and to make money by selling their meat.
Collect money, buy ammo, fight the demons to get darts
and finally kill some pandas and sell their meat.
Then get to the next zone... to kill even more pandas.

Get it here (ver 1.0):
http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f= ... 68ac10c955

The source code is crappy here and there. I can code better, but i just wanted to finish the game. I'm sure there are some bugs, i had no beta testers *making-excuses* - Shush! Whatever, play now :)
theuserbl

Re: Panda Hack

Post by theuserbl »

N3trunn3r wrote:Hi, i am from the BlitzBasic community, tried FreeBASIC and i have to say that FreeBASIC has a very high quality/same as commercial BlitzBasic
Nice, to see that an additional person comes from BlitzBasic to FreeBASIC.

The games on the BlitzBasic-side seems to have more effects and looks more professional like the games on games.freebasic.net I think.

What me interests is: What do you think are the advantages of BB and what are the advantages of FB?

And how to bring the advantages of BB over to FB.

For example, where you have experience with BB and FB, what do you think about porting minib3d to FB?

What can be added to http://code.google.com/p/fb-extended-lib/ to make it better?
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Interesting idea and solid ASCII design. Only, the gameplay is really lacking. The game requires no strategy, and it's turn-based. Also, the controls are very limited. You never give any choice to the player what to do in the shops or similar. It's all about walking around and taking care not to walk into a demon without darts.

Well, I hope you'll take care of this if you ever venture into making a sequel.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Blitz programing engines have awesome game-creation orientend approach and that is it's main strength. The closest thing in FB is HGE, but I'm still searching for awesome/simple hardware accelerated FB graphics library. Maybe one day we'll have fbgfx.bi for hardware accelerated graphics and from that day FB will be GOD!
N3trunn3r

Post by N3trunn3r »

What me interests is: What do you think are the advantages of BB and what are the advantages of FB?
advantages of FB:
---------------------
The advantages of FB is (for me) that it is free and Open Source.
I want to teach other people how to write games, i can't do that with BB without letting other people buying copies.

I am not a top-of-the-line coder, i never needed to used TYPES or even PTR (i could if i would). So i am probably not the right guy to ask witch syntax is better. But as far as i can see is there no big difference between the syntax. It was quiet easy to go from BB to FB.

advantages of BB:
---------------------
Well, BB is easier to use, for example you want to load an image, mask it and draw it, you just write:

Code: Select all

theimage =LOADIMAGE("gfx/logo.png")
MASKIMAGE theimage,255,0,255
DRAWIMAGE theimage,x,y
In FreeBASIC you need to understand and choose a library. Set the library stuff and write an easy to use function, to just draw an image.

In Blitz you can just start. With sound, images, 3D, I/O...
It is just ONE library for almost everything. (that makes it very easy to read the code of others and learn from it).

I think if you want to write an application in FB or C like. The first thing you do is to thinking about witch library is best. And they make new ones every day. I really would like to see it all put together, simple stupid.
A set of several one-purpose-libraries each for one special use. Like the guys from GNU do it with their applications.
For example someone makes a Retro game lib... but i just want this one GFX feature out of it, and then i need BASS do get my sounds done but it can't use it under Linux...

For Christmas i really wish for:
"set of super-portable-one-purpose-libraries witch have an alike syntax, witch can be used in all good programming languages"
That would be really cool...
What can be added to http://code.google.com/p/fb-extended-lib/ to make it better?
Thats up to what "many commonly used functions" are.
Sound i guess is one. But as i say the best thin is just put it all together. In my eyes people are just rewriting everything. Just confusing.

Only, the game play is really lacking
Yea it's really crap :D
I just wanted to learn FB. The next game will bet much better ;)

However it is not that hard to make games in FB like in BB.
BB is just more popular. In time FB will take over i guess...
For example, where you have experience with BB and FB, what do you think about porting minib3d to FB?
I can't do that, i'm not that good. Just want to make my small small RPGs... :)
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

Well, BB is easier to use, for example you want to load an image, mask it and draw it, you just write:
Code: ‹ Select ›

theimage =LOADIMAGE("gfx/logo.png")
MASKIMAGE theimage,255,0,255
DRAWIMAGE theimage,x,y

In FreeBASIC you need to understand and choose a library. Set the library stuff and write an easy to use function, to just draw an image.
That's not quite true. You can just do

Code: Select all

Dim myImage As Any Ptr = ImageCreate( 48, 48 )
BLoad "picture.bmp", myImage
Put (10,10), myImage
ImageDestroy( myImage )
to use FBGFX2. That's easy too ;).
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

At a glance, it looks like most of the Blitz BASIC syntax is non-quirky - just standard subs/functions, and perhaps some objects as well. It might be possible for someone to reimpliment those in FB, to get pretty much identical functionality.
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

Hunting Pandas?

Obvoiusly not a nature-lover then ...
DOS386

$$$ Anti-Panda $$$

Post by DOS386 »

the game purpose is to hunt pandas and to make money by selling their meat
SORRY but this is not inviting to me :-(
N3trunn3r

Post by N3trunn3r »

Well, i am a nature lover. And senseless violence is fun as long as its not for real ;)
I was little tiered of the "classic adventurer". Maybe i could make something different :)
Personally i prefer playing classical nethack.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

yeah why dont you change your animal to whales? panda and polar bear and whalemeat

just kidding ;)
banon

Post by banon »

very nice, i made a simple rougelike in c++ a little while ago

but this kicks its ass (as well as the panda's) ;)
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I liked this game a lot. Very fun :D
At a glance, it looks like most of the Blitz BASIC syntax is non-quirky - just standard subs/functions, and perhaps some objects as well. It might be possible for someone to reimpliment those in FB, to get pretty much identical functionality.
I wish I knew BlitzBASIC. Not sure if they'd be happy about anyone replicating their library's functions, however.
Well FB comes with a graphics library. There are in fact people who would rather it didn't. Most languages don't come equipped with this kinda stuff :-) Not like it causes FB any bloat. FB only includes what it needs in your compiled programs.
banon

Post by banon »

if you read the quote above
that is basically why i chose freebasic, i had to write a program for the science fair and c++ would take too long. so i used fb and fell in love with it

and i won a computer science award (but i only had 1 competitior), and 80 dollars cad