No Driving Games in FBGD?!

Game development specific discussions.
vdecampo

No Driving Games in FBGD?!

Post by vdecampo »

I was going through all the games on the FBGF and I noticed there were no driving games! Does this sound like a challenge or future competition to anyone else?

-Vince
Last edited by vdecampo on Jan 31, 2008 4:33, edited 1 time in total.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

A weekend challenge would be cool.
Should be beginner friendly
short and simple in 2D fb gfx's

Joshy
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

I've got absolutely no free time at the moment, which is why I'm just popping in here for 5 minutes every now an again, but if someone wants to organise a challenge, I'll put up the prize money as follows:

1st Prize - 50 GBP
Two Runner's up prizes of 25 GBP

Or if you want to allocate the 100 GBP differently then that's fine by me.

Ideally, if the judging were to finish around the end of February that would be better for me, as I'm likely to be away quite a bit over the next few weeks.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Well I think a beginner challenge needs to be more than 2 days. At least 7-14 days for a good attempt. Especially those of us that work for a living! :-)

-Vince
Last edited by vdecampo on Jan 30, 2008 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

I still plan on running the original competition which was discussed after the Space Invaders one finished, but right now I just don't have the time for anything like that.

I'd expect that a one week competition would be better that a 48 hour one for most people, but then it's not my call.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Shees, let's make a 5 minute challenge!

Anyway, what about Caddy's Rampage? Heh, since the darn FBGD (FBGF?) was your source I see how you made that mistake. :P

But seriously, I wasn't sure where to put Caddy's Rapage. It isn't really a proper driving game. Strangely enough, not many driving games in QBasic too. I know only of 8, 2 of which are proper ones (Groov Buggies, Ghini Run). I assume they are not that easy to code as one would think. Otherwise we would have more of them.

Yeah, I'm for a challenge, but definitely not a super-short one. Those compos never produce anything noteworthy.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

vdecampo wrote:Especially those of us that work for a living!
sure this is why i wrote "Weekend challenge" not all but the most peoples need not to work or go to school on Weekend.

Joshy
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

So, what kind of restrictions would this impose? I'm for it, but not if it's got severe restrictions like the other competitions. ;)
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Heh, since the darn FBGD (FBGF?) was your source I see how you made that mistake. :P
Sorry, I was thinking FreeBasic Game Forum. My Bad! :-)

-Vince
HD_

Post by HD_ »

So, what kind of restrictions would this impose? I'm for it, but not if it's got severe restrictions like the other competitions. ;)
I agree. I would like to be able to use OpenGL and possibly SDL if I wanted.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

HD_ wrote:
I agree. I would like to be able to use OpenGL and possibly SDL if I wanted.
How is OpenGL and SDL considered beginner? These comps are supposed to showcase the power and features of FreeBASIC IMHO. This is where I start to vote on the side of restrictions.

-Vince
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me, but showcase the power and features of FreeBASIC, using restrictions? That doesn't make sense to me.
HD_

Post by HD_ »

Not much of a showcase if you ask me.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Using FMOD or FBSound is one thing, because FB doesn't really have any native abilities to play sound/music well. But FB does have a very robust gfx library so I would propose a challenge within these guidelines. I, for one, am fully capable of making a game within these boundaries (And I will, regardless of any competition).

-Vince
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Sure. Why don't we also say, that you can only use *your* code? You must be able to explain, in detail, how everything works. :)