FBPackage Issue #1 Released!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
anonymous1337

FBPackage Issue #1 Released!

Post by anonymous1337 »

Download FBPackage Issue #1

FBPackage Issue #1, containing QBE, FBC, Cool Stuff, Tips and Tricks, and Games. Totaling of 74mb+ of FreeBASIC Content! This is a Batch Torrent. If you don't want certain packages (ex: FBC), feel free to not download them!

As many programs as possible have been compiled for Windows, too. You can test straight from the box for nearly all of them.

QBE - Contains a few issues of QBE. Latest 2 or 3 along with the very first issue of QBE ever!

FBC - Contains latest stable and SVN versions of FBC, along with latest documentation.

Cool Stuff - Mostly random code found on the freebasic code library on the freebasic wiki. Could be repeats of things from Tips & Tricks in there, but I don't think so.

Tips And Tricks - A few of the latest tips and tricks threads compiled and added for your pleasure.

Games - A set of random games chosen via moving my mouse around and clicking for no apparent reason, as well as the top FB Games, as scored on the FBGD!

Thanks!,
anonymous1337
ps: SEED! D:

Download FBPackage Issue #1

Next Issue?:

- Retro Games/Programs
- Other Games from FBGD
- Tutorials/Articles, not just FB source code
- Larger set of cool stuff/tips & tricks directory, split up into Graphics, Sound, etc.
- HTML download availability.
- Code Snippets - Mouse Movement, FPS tracking, FBgfx, etc...
- Anything else?
Last edited by anonymous1337 on Oct 07, 2007 17:22, edited 3 times in total.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

my experience with bittorrent is not good, more often than not the download speed is slooow, and most important I don't like to expose my computer to p2p, but the idea of FBPackage is good, only wish it was not bittorrent.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Torrents are good. It's going to be slow while I'm the only seed, though. Might be a nice thing to download while you're sleeping :D I get really good download times most of the time, but of course, I download really popular stuff D:
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

**downloading and seeding**

anywayz, torrent is good o/
HTTP direct download is expensive, and i personally prefer torrent than waiting hour with some free file uploading sites... but, OK! =)
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Downloading (i guess im seeding then also?). I havent played with torrents, since i dont download much stuff.
Personally, stright http download would be better but i can live with this one too.

Nice idea this FBPackage btw.
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Downloading and seeding, sounds like a great compilation thank you for the work that has been put into compiling it and especially to the authors that created the content.

Personally I think the torrent is a great idea, I find it to be quick (as long as you have the seeds) and takes the pressure off those hosting a free open source package like this. Perhaps one day html content will be delivered like this too :D
RayBritton

Post by RayBritton »

The tracker may be down
milan1612

Post by milan1612 »

Downloading and seeding for at least 4-6 hours.
Great idea...
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Frank Dodd wrote:Perhaps one day html content will be delivered like this too :D
I've been thinking about that. I hope that downloads will be handled how torrents are eventually, but it will be hidden/built-in by your browser. Maybe plugins? Sharing bandwidth is cool.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

When I had similar idea to "torrentize" the web, I did some research and found WebTorrent. Too bad that project wasn't finished. I can't even find their webpage anymore. But here's a paper describing it.

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.824-2004/reports/jwolfe.pdf

edit:
Just tried out your package. Nice work!

How about making few "retro" packages. There was a bunch of great old FB stuff which were fun/useful (atom smash simulator, nanohost, various gfx demos, etc...)

Also, if someone doesnt like torrents, how about making a rapidshare mirror?
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

I would be willing to mirror this download from my site as an HTTP download.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Well, I wish we could download games individually. I mean, in the future Game.zip will grow and grow and grow. Not everyone is fine by downloading 100 MB files.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

How about making few "retro" packages. There was a bunch of great old FB stuff which were fun/useful (atom smash simulator, nanohost, various gfx demos, etc...)
I wanted to add as many programs as possible that would compile. A few of the source files I had to edit to compile in newer versions of FBC.

I would *love* to have some of the really awesome retro stuff in a later issue, but making it all compile would be a pain. Still, I think I did miss out on those kinds of cool programs D:
Well, I wish we could download games individually. I mean, in the future Game.zip will grow and grow and grow. Not everyone is fine by downloading 100 MB files.
If it's less than 10% of people I'm not sure how much I care, and I don't plan on adding the same games more than once right now.

Also: I really really appreciate suggestions for FBPackage. Mostly what should be added in next month/issue's release.
I would be willing to mirror this download from my site as an HTTP download.
I won't stop you ;p
Last edited by anonymous1337 on Oct 07, 2007 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

vdecampo wrote:I would be willing to mirror this download from my site as an HTTP download.
Yes, please :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I'm just saying, it's quite expectable that many future FB games will be over 10 MB, and perhaps for the future game additions to the torrent files it would be advisable to keep them as separate files.