DaBooda OldSchool Gaming Library: Discontinued

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
dabooda

DaBooda OldSchool Gaming Library: Discontinued

Post by dabooda »

I am currently working on a new library for freebasic and allegro. Its details can be obtained here: http://dabooda.789mb.com/projects.html

But if you don't feel like looking, its basically a library that gives the programmer a structure for programming video console type games, think super nintendo. The plus is it is object oriented so several addons can be programmed separately which will be a big bonus and allows the individual to customize it to their game. Although I will be making plenty of addons for it, considering the main object just handles a few specifics, mainly rendering and input.

Also I have a demo created for it, with what has been done so far.
You can download it here: http://dabooda.789mb.com/binary/freebas ... demo_a.zip

Please leave comments on what you think so far, or especially if you encounter any problems. The target fps is 60, so let me know if it falls below that and what kind of hardware you might be using.

DaBooda out...

EDIT: MyStats
pentium 1.6ghz
512 ram
nvideo gforce 128mb

running all 4 maps, and 1024 sprites:
800x600 - 45fps
640x480 - 52fps
320x240 - 60fps (emulated vid size can only be this size anyways)
Last edited by dabooda on Nov 10, 2007 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

That, my good sir.... is the first thing to make my jaw drop in a long time. Even more then when I realized I could use my PS3 controller on my computer. I am definitely downloading the library when it is released. If I make anything out of this you will be bajillions of credits :D

Friggin Sweet Work.

Btw - At the highest resolution (800x600) 32 Bit - Standard Vid - Stretch - I get exactly 60 fps.

I just have a crappy Intel Chip (128 MB) and 512 MB RAM too =P
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Can I see some screenshots? This sounds neat, but there's not a lot of people I download and run programs from off the bat :D
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

anonymous1337 wrote:Can I see some screenshots? This sounds neat, but there's not a lot of people I download and run programs from off the bat :D

But honestly, it's the animation and all of it in motion that makes it awesome. You really need to run it in order to understand :) It's just an exe file anyways.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Looks awesome enough from the screenshot :p
HD_

Post by HD_ »

I don't have allegro installed- maybe you should supply the dll with the download?
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

You know when the size of the zip file was only 35kbs, that should have clued me in. That and the fact I didn't post screenshots, btw thank you conexion for that, makes me a very bad developer...smacking self!!

The download has been fixed 300kbs larger that it, but fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience and I appreciate the heads up on that HD_.

DaBooda out...

P.S. I actually took some snapshots, but I wasn't happy with them...like conexion said, it has to be in motion to really see. As for the library, it should be done soon...I am deciding to complete a few of the other add-ons before releasing it...ie input, audio, sprite manager, and mapper.
HD_

Post by HD_ »

Runs at 58-60fps on this computer (on highest settings), nice so far ;)
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I get solid 60 fps... looks pretty good. ;)
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

even at 800x600 32bit color and 1024 sprites it still runs at 60 fps on my machine. I'd be curious to know how fast it could run without the framerate limiter...

My specs:
A64 3700+
nv 6600gt
1 gig ram
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

320*240, 32-bit - 60 FPS
640*480, 32-bit - 43 FPS (full screen)
800*600, 32-bit - 31 FPS (full screen)

My specs (shut up!):

Pentium III 866 Mhz
192 MB RAM
ATI 3D Rage Pro
Windows XP

Anyway, great work on this lib. Don't know if I'll use it, but anything that might increase the game design productivity in the community is welcomed by me.

Post by 1000101 »

While it *looks* pretty from a user stand point, it has this tendency to ignore the keyboard input, lock keys in once you release them, not be very multitasking cooperative and is built on allegro which just sucks.

But, it looks pretty.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

The keyboard locking up is kind of strange, and that is the first report I have heard about that. A little more information on that might help, like do the arrow keys lock up or is it the other ones, because the other keys have a toggle status that keeps them from constantly reading as long as the user is holding them down. Some more information on this will be helpful especially what os are you running. This way I can tell if it is a coding issue or a platform issue.

The multi-tasking cooperation, well, I simply don't know what you mean by this. Is it won't let other programs run? Because I ran about 20 different programs with this and start some, ended some, etc...no problems there, for this program is running at a normal priority. And yes it takes up about 99% if it is running alone, but it does share that when others are running.

Allegro well that is a matter of opinion I suppose...lol...nothing I could do about that, but if you wish suggest something better...sdl, etc...

But thanks for the 'it looks pretty'...but please a little more information would be great, so I can work out the bugs...

DaBooda out...

Post by 1000101 »

My system:

1800MHz AthlonXP (Barton Core, 400MHz FSB)
1024MB PC3200 Dual-channel DDR
512MB 8x AGP nVidia Geforce 6600GS (running 2 monitors)
8MB PCI Diamond Multimedia v330 (running 0 monitors)
ASUS A7N8X Rev2 Motherboard
Dell RT7D00 PS/2 Keyboard
USB Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000
Windows XP Pro SP2
DirectX 9.0c
OpenGL 2.0.3

Symptoms:

Program uses 100% of the CPU and other programs, including the realtime system drivers, are not able to aquire a timeslice.
Lagged response when keys are pressed (any and all keys).
Difficult to ALT-TAB to other programs due to the lagged keyboard response (several minutes).
Program run at a full 60 FPS with 1024 sprites at 800x600 stretching from 320x240.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

Here is what I did:

I ran the tech demo: my program cpu usage(99%)
I ran my nintendo emulator(30% alone): my progarms cpu usage(70-75%)
I ran mame(real hog 99% alone): my programs cpu usage(25-30%)

all 3 at once: my programs cpu usage(15-20%)
The only performance loss I seemed to have is my fps dropped to about 20 fps, but this makes sense considering windows was handling all those other programs during the time out of my program(especially mame). And my drivers are still taking and running what they need.

No matter what I ran, my usage leveled itself across the board. The program is releasing a time slice, and it runs at a normal priority on my pc. My program isn't hijacking the system, I'm sorry but my computer is even a low end one, and it runs fine...even running all those programs the keyboard was responsive, and alt-tab worked fine, no delay whatsoever. I simply can't figure out why my program is running at 99% on your computer, which tells me it has total focus, and is still unresponsive. Why would it release to other programs on my machine and not yours? Any ideas, for I would really like to nail this, but it is hard because I cannot emulate this bug on my end.

Anyone else having this problem?

DaBooda out...

P.S. If anyone else who doesn't have a problem running this tech demo can run and give cpu stats please, I would appreciate it.

EDIT: I am leaning towards a keyboard issue, which is strange because I am running the same os...but the fact you still recieve full frame-rate, but no or very little key response is sounding a bit odd. I would assume lack of keyboard if frame-rate was like below 5.