The Crown of Alegare

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
rdc

Re: The Crown of Alegare

Post by rdc »

Thanks rel, I appreciate it.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Getting back to it.

Pic deleted. Project has changed.
Last edited by rdc on Feb 10, 2013 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Nice to see Rick!!!
rdc

Post by rdc »

Thanks man.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Pic deleted. Project has changed.
Last edited by rdc on Feb 10, 2013 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Jocke The Beast

Ok, next screenshot must be a in-game shot :)
We got a race, class and now a pick-your-name shot...next one should logical be a in-game shot :)
Looks nice!
rdc

Post by rdc »

Heh. That's the plan. :)
Jocke The Beast

Sorry for the *bump* but I'm just curious about the project :)
Any development?

Cheers!
rdc

Post by rdc »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I really haven't made much progress on this project. I just don't have much time these days, and fighting off the various sicknesses going around here has killed most of my free time. This has given me time to think though, and I realized that I don't really want to do another RL. I have done several of these, and I just don't have the motivation to do another. However, the project isn't dead, I just want to change direction on this. It will be a bit different, but will still have the same setting and RPG elements. I'll post more once I get the idea worked out.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Hey folks, it has been a while. I hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to drop in and let you know what is up. I was out of work for a while, and things were quite stressful as you can imagine. My daughter lives with us with her kids and we battled sickness all winter as did a lot of people. The bugs were out in force it seems. Anyway, things are settling into more of a routine now and I have some space to think and plan.

Now, what about this crazy project? Honestly, I have had a real lack of motivation doing another roguelike, at least as a major project. I have done several of these and doing another just wasn't in me. However, the setting was and still is in me, so to speak. This setting has been with me for a long time, as some of you know, and goes back to the original Deep Deadly Dungeons. So it has some history. Over the years, and it has been years, I have pondered this and added bits of mythos to it in my mind and have a nice backstory and plot. However, this is incredibly hard to get into an RL and I want this to be part of the game. I could do an RPG type of game, but again it would limit the story since graphics are such a limiting factor.

Imagination however isn't limited. Some of you know that I like to write. I am not the best writer, but I am passable I think. And this is a story I want to tell. So it seems to me that this game needs to be a story, an interactive novel actually. And that is what I am working on with this. This will be a text-based game, with lots of RPG elements in it. If you don't like to read, you won't like this game. If you do however, I think this will be fun. At least I hope so. It is different and takes advantage of the players imagination, the best graphics engine available.

This won't be in the IF style however. I do not like those types of game. I find them mostly frustrating. This will be more along the lines of a Choose Your Adventure style with multiple paths and ways through the game. I am doing this as an engine which will make it easier to write the actual story of the game. I want to do this chapters, and having an engine work with data files seems the best way.

So a big change here, but for the better I hope. We'll see how it goes.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Check this out, rdc. I'm the same, being frustrated at text adventures. So I came up with this mouse-driven IF (interactive fiction) engine which clearly defines what you can and cannot do. It takes away a bit of the guesswork, but also takes away all of the frustration. It's a good trade.

view screenshot (fixed link)
download small demo (removed, go download full project including source.)

I'm definitely using this engine for my own text-based work but it's on the back burner for a bigger project. You're welcome to the source if interested.
Last edited by mrToad on Apr 09, 2013 16:10, edited 4 times in total.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Nice one. I'll have a go at it myself, but I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

mrToad wrote:Check this out, rdc. I'm the same, being frustrated at text adventures. So I came up with this mouse-driven IF engine which clearly defines what you can and cannot do. It takes away a bit of the guesswork, but also takes away all of the frustration. It's a good trade.

view screenshot
download small demo

I'm definitely using this engine for my own text-based work but it's on the back burner for a bigger project. You're welcome to the source if interested.
Wow, I gotta say that your engine peaked my interest. Looks solid.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thanks for your comment, badmrbox. If you like I'll hook you up with the source. In that case maybe I'll release it to the site downloads or wherever might be appropriate. Maybe clean it up a bit first, get the menu commands working. I'd be happy to share it.
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

mrToad wrote:Thanks for your comment, badmrbox. If you like I'll hook you up with the source. In that case maybe I'll release it to the site downloads or wherever might be appropriate. Maybe clean it up a bit first, get the menu commands working. I'd be happy to share it.
That would be cool mrToad :)