In need of critics, suggestions, feeback and ideas.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
AroticoZ

In need of critics, suggestions, feeback and ideas.

Post by AroticoZ »

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of developing an engine that will revolutionize the text game development industry. I am talking about a 3D Text only Rendering engine which will include what developers have come to expect from any other regular 3D Engine plus so much more. Such things as physics, light and shading, are all planned in this project. I need your help however so I can make it as good as it needs to be.

Aside the usual 3D Engine things you can expect to find, I'd like to know what else I could include that would make things easier for the developers that would add an extra notch to the players that will be playing the games created with this engine.

If you could take the time to answer some or all (prefereably :-) of the questions below, I would greatly appreciate it.

What do you think of such a project?

How would you think you'd use such an engine? For what type of game/program?

Is there any language you'd specifically like this engine to work with?

Is there a tool and/or accessory you'd possibly like to have, to use this engine? (for example, a Text 3D world generator or something)

Is there a technique you would like me to use over another? Modular programming over OOP, or vice versa?

Is there A certain 3D Rendering based feature that you would really like to see present in the project? (for example, perhaps a file import, a specific 3D calculation or conversion and the likes).

I believe that from the answers I'll get to these questions I'll be much better equipped to deliver an engine that will be the best it possibly can.

Hoping to hear some very interesting replies so I can give myself an even more precise image of what I have to do next.

Thank you all, in advance for any and all cooperation in this.

AroticoZ
axipher

Post by axipher »

Some sort of 3D Skewing would be nice, what I mean is have the text surrounded by 8 nodes like a rectangular prism, and each one can be moved individually, I'm not sure how you would go about doing this, but it would be nice.
arenth

Post by arenth »

Isn't this kind of counter intuitive? Isn't the whole point of making a text game because its simple, and you can concentrate on the game rather then the GFX/Physics and so on?
axipher

Post by axipher »

Maybe he's going for a new style of game, bringing text art to a new level, and bringing it to BASIC. Didn't think of that did you.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

This is easy to implement for someone with the 3D knowhow -> say you are writing a game like Zork, the text could be textured to resemble the area you are in, the objects you can see etc.

During a text based battle the word swrod could swing like the sword, or a laser word could shoot across..

Interesting idea for an engine. I'll be back to check up on it ;)
Nodtveidt

Post by Nodtveidt »

As long as it actually makes use of text mode rather than just being, in reality, an 80x25 pixel screen, then I say go for it...it's harder than it looks to properly make use of text mode for graphical work. :)
MystikShadows

Post by MystikShadows »

In brief, I'm with Nodtveidt on this one...if you can use some algorithm to match the shade/color to the actual picture it's supposed to be, that would be grand, not just a 80x25 matrix....:-)

As for the rest well being the self proclamed defender of the text world, I definitaly agree with such a project :-).

I'd use it for a full fledged flight simulation game software :-)

A world creator, a 3DS import might be kewl, or other popular 3D file format that's easy to read and process.

FreeBasic of course ;-) like duh....but any language capable of Windows Console would be a good idea (opensource and/or freeware and/or commercial even). Just don't try to do them all at the same time ;-). One language at a time :-).

Excellent initiative Aroticoz :-). I can't wait ot see where you'll take this :-).
AroticoZ

Post by AroticoZ »

axipher wrote:Some sort of 3D Skewing would be nice
I will surely try to make this, if everything works out as I plan I'll maybe even make an editor.
arenth wrote:Isn't the whole point of making a text game because its simple, and you can concentrate on the game rather then the GFX/Physics and so on?
The answer is clearly no, I do not want to make it like this because it's easy, actualy I want to make this engine as good as everything else, especialy about phicis it will be fully functional, I plan to add diferent types of materials as well, like boncy rubber and so on.
MystikShadows wrote:A world creator, a 3DS import might be kewl, or other popular 3D file format that's easy to read and process.
I will definetly go for this.