The Crown of Alegare

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
rdc

The Crown of Alegare

Post by rdc »

Hey folks, it has been a while. This has been a crazy year for me, but things are finally getting back to normal, so I am restarting my sequel to DDD, The Crown of Alegare. I'll be posting pics at my Imgur account. I have an album set up for it and will be updating the album as I get things completed. Not much there now however.

This will be similar to DDD, but with a bunch more stuff in it. It will be tile based, there will be several different races and classes, extensive skill system, magic, potions and alchemy, and a repair and crafting system. I'll update more as I get to them. Once I get the character generation, maps, some basic items, and monsters implemented, I'll release an alpha for testing with periodic updates as things move along.

I have been wanting to do this for a while now, and I am finally at a place where I can devote some time to it and get the ball rolling.
dafhi

Re: The Crown of Alegare

Post by dafhi »

sounds like what I've been waiting for. eager to try out my own skills on a comprehensive, yet simple framework like i know you are capable of

[Edit:] just realized, I may be jumping the gun a little. but no matter, still looking forward to hearing more about it
rdc

Post by rdc »

Thanks. I said in the first post that this was a sequel; actually it is more like DDD 2.0 since it will follow the same general idea as DDD. Find the orbs and crown to win. It will be much more extensive though. I have a good idea of what I want to do, and I'll get more into the details once I get to them.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Really happy to hear you are back to this project. Hoping to see some gameplay screenshots soon.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Thanks Lachie. It shouldn't be too long before I have a little alpha test to play with. I am going to release early and release often with this so as to get some testing in while I work on it.
rdc

Post by rdc »

A little update. I am going through and defining the base skill sets for the monsters. There are over 300 monsters so this is going to take a bit of work. Instead of hard-coding the attributes though, I am going to set these up as a data file in text format so that it will be easy to update and/or modify as needed or wanted. (I will be doing the same with all the other game elements as well.) It will require another file to keep track of, but I think in the end it will prove beneficial.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Best news I read for years :)
Very funny to see how it will turn out. Will it be based on the "Lets build a roguelike"-tutorial engine or a whole new one?
Good luck Rick!
rdc

Post by rdc »

Thanks Jocke. It will be a new engine from scratch, but will follow the same basic principles. The formula works, I am just going to expand on it quite a bit.
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Good to see a new FB game project. Looking forward to seeing some screenshots and demos.

Jocke: Glad to see your still around, gonna update your site soon? :-)
Lachie Dazdarian

Jonge. That's a familiar nickname. If only my memory served me better...
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

I used to have SotSvart as my nick name. Changed back to my old one(which I also used when coding in QB).
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Jonge wrote:Good to see a new FB game project. Looking forward to seeing some screenshots and demos.

Jocke: Glad to see your still around, gonna update your site soon? :-)
Hi there Jonge!
Long time since last. Hope everything is ok with you.
Doing some coding?
Nah, my site hasn't been updated for a looooong time and since I've more or less retired as programmer it will stay that way until I resume coding I guess...
Cheers!
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Yeah, I'm back after a 3 year pause from coding. I was actually motivated again when finding a copy of the Mordor Demo =) I'm hoping to finish my last project Brick Mayhem(http://CodeHeim.NET), but my thoughts about just wrapping up the project has turned into about 2 months of work(and theres still lots to do =) ).

Just to get back to topic:
Glad your going for tiles instead of ascii art =) Will there be some mouse control, or only keyboard?
Lachie Dazdarian

Brick Mayhem! That's right. Loved that project. It would be great to see it finished. But only to have another hobbyist game developer back in the community, even if only tinkling with stuff, is already awesome news!

BTW, is the email on your site still active?
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Lachie: Yeah, though I don't check my e-mail as often as I should =)