Here's a software 3d thing that might be useful.

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

level editor is SEXY, but please stay in non-hardware-accelerated mode!!! that's the most awesome thing about this project.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, I've add quite a few more features, and a temporary setup menu. Link's in the first post. :)
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

Very cool, controls are much better now :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Love the new options. I just hope you'll make them a part of a real setup file. Anyway, The alternative controls are a savior.

The game is still playable on 640*480 full screen on my PC, running with 15 FPS. Is that time-based movement? I should really learn that. It's cool.

I like the small changes, like what happens when you eat the ghost. I do think ghosts are too fast for level 1. Perhaps making level 1 much easier in the final version would be cool.

BTW, playing with level zoomed-out is much easier. For those who didn't figure it out yet. It gives a much better overview of the action.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Thanks guys. :)
Those options are going to be a permanent part of it. ;)
Yeah, it's time based movement. It calculates the move based on the time passed since the last frame. If the timestep is too large, it loops with smaller incrememnts.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, I did some optimizing, started adding a menu and a title screen. The main thing here is changing from the caveman method I was using to allocate memory for the render buffer. It should use considerably less memory now, which (hopefully) should yield a pretty big speed boost on some computers. Also, I had to change file hosting because I can't get file-pasta to swallow files bigger than 2MB. This is only 2.3, but it still chokes. Anyway, the link is updated in my first post, and thanks for trying it! :)
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

Still better and better each time !

But the camera is fixed at the same angle
it's easier to see what's coming from the "top" part than the "bottom" part.
When the hero go up it's okay , but when he's going down the ghost are too close when i can start to see them...

I did'nt played yet with the zoom in/out yet ... I will try next time ;p

may be a level map with ghosts position in a transparent overlay could be cool... (my 2 cents)

-- or an option to have the "chase view" for the camera
--and why not a 1st level view with pacman in transparency

After that you know what ....
network game...
You can incarnate pacman or a ghost
"Pacman tournment" keeewl!

and after... multifloor level (ledder up and ledder down )
and also customized wall and floor color (given by the map text data)

The pacman Ultimate , FB powered ..!

please keep going... It worth to be well finished.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Nice. But you could have said the menu doesn't work and the game can only be started if the user pushes ESC.

I like the new music. Original?

BTW, are you planning to use some custom font or only the default one?
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Yeah, I've been thinking about the camera. That's part of the reason I had the control scheme that you guys didn't like enabled by default. What I think I'm going to do, is make the camera back off a bit look ahead slightly when he's moving down. I do like the mini-map thing though. Sokaban had one, and it was basically a necessity. I can add a first person camera too, but I didn't think anyone would like it. Technically, the chase cam is already there. It just isn't enabled. I was only using that for testing because it seems to make peopole dizzy. I'll add an option to use that mode also.

About the pacman tournament thing. My kids want to add that too. They want to play as a ghost. I might do that, just to make it different.

Sorry about the half-baked menu. I'm working on it now.

All the music is original stuff by me. Some of the songs came from the QB pacman game I made. Yep, the one that only ran on 1 out of 65,535 computers.

Yeah, I'm planning to use a font, other than the default one. It's a nother thing on the to-do list.

Thanks again! :)
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Very nice; no bugs, good framerate, nice models, good camera motion, and even shadows. :-)

Just FYI, the classic controls are not quite right, but it should be easy to fix.
I.e., if the player is the character O here, going to the right, and he presses the up key, he should continue to go to the right until he finds a gap in the wall that allows him to move up. In your game, if the player presses the up key, then the Pacman looks up, and stops moving. ;-)

Code: Select all

XXXXX X
   O  X
XXXXXXX
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Whoops.
Thanks for reporting that. I didn't even realize it was like that. It's an easy fix though. ;)
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

Torus world ?!

in the original game there are possibilities to have door(opened walls) left/right or top/bottom sides
that allow pacman to go from top to bottom left to right side (and inverse)
but ghosts can't fly through...

Possible gameplay ?
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Yeah, it's going to have doors on the edges of the maze. However, the ghosts can also go through. It's also going to have multi-floor levels with stairs or elevators. I thought about using springs to launch them over to the other side, but that might not work so well with multiple layers. We will just have to see how it works. :)
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

some of the more recent pac-man games release have allowed you to jump over the ghosts but not over walls, think you can work something like that in?
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, sure. Wouldn't that make the game too easy though? :p