Here's a software 3d thing that might be useful.

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

vdecampo wrote:Ummmm....Why can't I see any of Dr_D's posts?
He was probably drunk.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I started adding more stuff to it and decided that there is really no way to make a decent game with it. After the changes, which weren't that dramatic, I'm only getting about 30 FPS. It still has some useful math functions & stuff, so here it is anyway. ;)

http://file-pasta.com/d/1980.rar
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Ok, one silly question:

If this became so slow on modern machines, how the hell was quake 1 made? And I'm thinking about pure software rendering in Q1
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I really don't know man. Maybe they wrote most of the engine with super optimized asm.
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Seriously, I don't know what your problem is. I get from 33 to 41 FPS which is great, and the game practically has all that I expected it would have. One or two missing effects.

I mean, what do you mean by a decent game? 200+ FPS. Shees.

Thanks for ruining my day. :(
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, I actually figured out why the the fps were so low. For testing purposes, I was using a model with over a thousand polygons for collision detection, and never replaced it woth the original. 5 player characters, plus a pass for each maze node surrounding them = 5*9*1000... so around 45,000 collision checks per frame. Way more than expected for a simple pacman game. So... I'm gonna go ahead and finish it using software rendering.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, it's getting there. Here's a 1 level demo. I would have added the source to this, but it's in pretty bad shape right now. The other one is still there anyway. :)

http://file-pasta.com/d/1999.rar
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

BRILLANT !
Top Cool and Cute ...
I'm feeling tiny tiny tiny ... ;P
You're the Doc, Dr_D

When will you do the phong or Gouraud shading ? ;P
in fact I love it as is ...
The current style is perfect !

That's really fun !

BTW I didn't succeed the level yet ... pretty tricky
I've difficulties to manage the rotation of the hero
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Awesome demo!

Please change the controls cause this way is pretty hard to control.
Also, if you dont wish to post source, please atleast make a special exe with higher resolution (1024*768 ?)

All in all, great work!
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Thanks guys. I'm making an opengl version too, which will have all the expected fancy effects. I'm just going to leave the shading on this one as-is. ;)

Most of the source is in that earlier link. I still have some cleaning to do on this version, so I'll probably finish the game before I post it. It'll have some configuration options to change the resolution at runtime though.
Lachie Dazdarian

Quite cool. Love the camera movement. But I also think the controls are a bit cumbersome. Perhaps you can revise them.

Two questions. Is the AI for the ghosts all the same? The red seems quite predator-like, while the blue passed right by me and ignored me. And, are you planning to add a title screen?

I do hope the pure software version will have all the functionality of the OpenGL one. This would be appreciated by...well, me. :P

Edit:

Forgot to say. 25 FPS, without VSYNC.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

What happened to DJ's post? I was gonna try to implement those mmx functions to see what kind of speed they could unleash.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions on the controls. There is a second control scheme in place, but you can't activate it in that demo. Basically, it works like pressing the right arrow key makes him move right, left goes left, etc. I find that to be boring, but it's in there.

The opengl version already has a lot more stuff than this one. It just isn't a pacman game yet.

I have a pretty advanced level editor, which also uses opengl, and I don't want to recode that whole thing in software mode, so I'm just gonna make a midget level editor for this.

As for the AI, they're all the same right now, but the ghosts vary in speed.

I've added some more features/bugs to it, so I'm gonna try to wrap up my todo list and upload it again tonight.

Thanks for trying it! :)
Lachie Dazdarian

When I say functionality, I mean same gameplay, number of levels, etc. I don't care if the software version won't have Gouraud shading or whatnot.

What's a midget level editor?
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Just a simple 2d tile editor. It isn't going to have cut&paste, mirror and all that jive. This is what the opengl level editor looks like.