DaBooda OldSchool Gaming Library: Discontinued

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Great, great! I'll take a look at this right away.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

Just to let you know I have three tutorials made and ready. You can find them here: http://dabooda.789mb.com/freebasic.html

They are there towards the bottom. So far I have one on initializing, palfx, and maps. Right now I am working on a sprite tutorial, hopefully it will be done by tonight.

For anyone who already downloaded this library, please re-download the Palette Utility. I apologize but I had to fix a stupid bug in it, and I mean it was stupid. But it is now at v1.2. The second tutorial will look funny if you don't...lol. *smacks head*...well funnier.

DaBooda out..

P.S. I hope that helps...and of course if there are any questions on using this, please post your question in our forum. Of course I will keep posting updates here.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

Sprite tutorial done, actually wrapping up the essentials. Tomorrow I will start on the other objects. Gamepad, charset, sprite, tracker and audio...in that order preferably. Again you can find all the tutorials here:

http://dabooda.789mb.com/freebasic.html

I am not a very good tutorial writer though, I hoped I have explained it well enough to understand so far.

DaBooda out...

One day I will get to program a game...lol...maybe.
crysstaafur

Post by crysstaafur »

I managed to get a quick demo done, while learning the in's and out's of db_os
Hopefully, booda will have a link up for it soon... :)
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

I actually managed to spit a few more tutorials, soon I will be done, well maybe. So far I have two objects done gamepad and charset, I hope these have been helping or is the library to convoluted to even use?

I posted my bro's demo, its actually pretty neat for what it is. Has some cool back buffer noise routines as well as a very unique use of the sprite chars. Check it out.

For some reason my signature isn't showing up, so just scroll up to get the link....I feel kind of stupid constantly posting the same link...lol

DaBooda out...

P.S. Don't expect another tutorial until tomorrow hopefully. Its the sprite object tutorial and that thing is more complex than the core object...lot of information in it.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

The os_sprite_obj tutorial is now done. This leaves me 3 more then I will be done making tutorials for awhile. I am then going to start on a game, don't know what game yet, but a game. I think that will actually show what this library is capable of, more than some simple tech-demos.

I have decided to finally rate this library for the advance user. You really have to know pointers and some object oriented programming to use it. This is because it is fast, but with speed comes a lower level usage. I realize this isn't for everyone, but I am hoping there are programmers out there who like a challenge. I mean, isn't that the fun of programming anyways...learning new things? Not to mention when you actually limit how a game looks or is structured you are forcing the programmer to actually create a game that has playability, not one that you hit escape within five minutes of playing.

Sorry for the mini-rant, I just grow tired of all these half-completed or very simplistic games out there. I'm included in this, don't get me wrong...lol. But with freebasic we have the capability to actually produce quality playable games and I have seen a few, but just a few. You can't tell me you don't have a game sitting in your head just waiting to come out, can you? The thing about retro 2d is it has been done, and done well. Why not keep it alive? Did all those 2d games you grew up playing become less fun with the advent of 3d, honestly?

DaBooda out...

P.S. Am I alone on this? I somehow don't think so, you guys came from quick basic like I did, well most of you anyways.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Sorry for the mini-rant, I just grow tired of all these half-completed or very simplistic games out there. I'm included in this, don't get me wrong...lol. But with freebasic we have the capability to actually produce quality playable games and I have seen a few, but just a few. You can't tell me you don't have a game sitting in your head just waiting to come out, can you? The thing about retro 2d is it has been done, and done well. Why not keep it alive? Did all those 2d games you grew up playing become less fun with the advent of 3d, honestly?
Well, I agree. But some people seem rather persisted in making "fun 2 hours efforts" and keep defending their purpose vigorously. And I hope you didn't count my games in those you quit after 5 minutes. I do try.

I am disappointed like you seeing certain loss of momentum after FreeBASIC got released. I remember all those people complaining how QBasic was restrictive and crippling in the sense of available memory and crappy sound/music solutions. After all this got available through FreeBASIC, instead of people starting creating those 2D projects that couldn’t or would be very difficult/pointless to code in QBasic, they got lost in mini-game efforts or just dazzled with the new world of 3D possibilities, which suddenly now is the only sensible thing to code to them.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

Exactly. I have a working theory on this, though I might be crazy. Maybe people have to many possibilities. Its like being at the video store, all these movies, what should I get...so many choices!! With quick basic you where basically renting a movie from a convenience store..hmm...delta force 3 sounds horrible, but...there isn't really much here. With quick basic, your choices where limited, therefore your game had to be something to actually overcome this. The awe factor only lasts so long, its part of the human condition. The problem with 3d is you have that awe factor built in, no matter how bad it looks, for its moving realistically, but you are limited by the person's hardware, and this sucks in my opinion. I want to spend my time programming not enumerating whether or not the bright playing my game shelled out some cash for a decent video card. This is why I dropped my dabooda turbo engine and quit developing for it.

The problem is getting people to overcome this. Some of the compos do this by limiting the resources, but they only really leave room for 'mini-games' due to the time constraint. Any ideas?

And no lachie I like your games, they are well thought out and you actually know what the idea of playability is. You have accomplished more than I have because I have a bad habit of starting but not completing projects. I only have two full games to my name and one of those is a stupid pong game. (This will change...I will force it).

DaBooda out...

BTW: I have two more tutorials done: os_tracker_obj and os_audio_obj...I am done for awhile, will start making a game now. The only thing really left is the effect object in the os_core_obj, but honestly a smart enough programmer can figure that one out with a little trial and error. I am biting at the bit here, ready to abuse my library dammit!!
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

Just a quick update:

Do to a sprained wrist I haven't been doing much programming unfortunately. But I have been brainstorming. During the making of my current game I realized I needed quite a few tools to help me, so then I started programming those, and this led me to realizing I needed a gui system to use for all my editors. So this is where I am at, building the gui system. Once that is done I will be developing several editors for sprites and maps, as well as file converters and even a new object or two for the library.

To QB Express, thank you for choosing me as programmer of the month in #24. Its the first time to receive any kind of recognition for programming. This tells me I am on the right path and shall continue this project. Once all these tools are done and the lib is polished, making games will come quickly, that is until I realize it is missing something else. Does it never end?

DaBooda out...

P.S. I will most likely be releasing the gui when done. It will be a good alternative to using windows are what not, although not as advanced.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Not much to say here... just... that would rock. ^_^
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

I will no longer be updating or even distributing this library. I do not have the time anymore to update or work on it. I really want to develop games, so I will be doing only that. There are way to many graphic libraries out there anyways. I might write a few tutorials here and there, but will most likely leave that to lachie, his tutorials rock. But now its time to start making some games!!

I apologize to anyone who actually took an interest in this project all 'one' of you. Not only this, when I have active libraries I feel obliged to actually use them, how constrictive...now I am free. Maybe my coding block will go bye bye now.

DaBooda out...