Bank Run

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
DCrawshawJr

Bank Run

Postby DCrawshawJr » Jul 13, 2012 2:15

Hello again! I'm back with a small program to update my website. It's a simulated game show called "Bank Run". In this game, players place money in safe deposit boxes in secret, while the other player tries to collect as much of that money as possible. Here's the catch: If the other player tries to withdraw more than what's in the box, he overdraws, and the placer wins all the money in the box.

I'm sure you all know this, but as a disclaimer, THIS IS ONLY A SIMULATION. NO REAL MONEY NOR PRIZES are awarded.

Here's a screenshot from the game.

This game uses FBSound and my own personal "8-bit" graphics library like you've seen in the insanity that is Planets of Mystery.

It's available at my website http://dcrawshawjr.bravehost.com Check it out, and please don't hesitate to give any comments or suggestions. Hope you enjoy it!
Lachie Dazdarian

Re: Bank Run

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Jul 14, 2012 12:51

Hrm....I didn't hear any sounds, and I missed them. They work by default on your PC?

Interesting game, and I like the fact you can play against a CPU or human opponent. Something some designers in our community insist in not implementing in two players duel games.

I did dislike several things. I find jumping between screens during gameplay distracting. I think you should fit all of it on one screen, or scroll from one to another. Inputting cash into slots should be less clunky. If I leave too much money for the last slot the program deals with this poorly. I think I should be able to switch between slots more easily (back and forth) and the game shouldn't allow me to finish my round until all slots are filled and all cash allocated. In current setup, I'm bumped to the beginning and asked to fill each slot again from the start if two much money is left in the last slot. Also, if I'm leave 50 $ for example for the last box, the program allows me to put more, which is capped later I guess, but I'm not warned about that so I only guess the program capped my input. In the end, the computer AI should calculate the amount of the cash in the last slot when guessing my boxes because this info is calculable from the amount of the previous boxes.

In the end, something is wrong with your font and font printing routine. Letters like p and g are printed incorrectly, and g looks fugly.

If you are willing to tweak the game in any of these directions, that would be awesome. If not, well...nice little game. :)
DCrawshawJr

Postby DCrawshawJr » Jul 15, 2012 18:46

Huh, did I give you the wrong file? Anyway; here's what I did:

* I changed the sound library from FBSound to FMOD (It seems to work better for everyone)
* In each round, not only can you adjust the amount in each box using up/down, but you can also move between boxes with left/right. Press ENTER to confirm your decision. However, if you don't have the exact amount placed in any given round, you'll have to try it again.
* Last time I checked, there was nothing wrong with the fonts. The "eggcrate" numbers are a little off (not sure what I did there)
* The reason I have many cuts to different views is so to simulate an actual television program. I apologize if it distracts you.

Here's the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m5g9hko4ca5628f
This link's not on the website yet; I just wanted you all to see it before then.

The ZIP file now includes the source code (which I should have shown you the first time). I apologize in advance for the mess; I Jerry-rigged this code to make the game work a little easier.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Jul 15, 2012 18:57

Damn, forgot to include your game in BASIC Gaming. Hope you don't mind waiting for the next issue.
DCrawshawJr

Postby DCrawshawJr » Jul 15, 2012 19:25

That's all right. You give good pointers.

Oh, and the website is updated.
http://dcrawshawjr.bravehost.com

Return to “Projects”