Boondog (Puzzle Game, Win32 & Linux!) is BACK!

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

@Mysoft: When you "Choose a levelpack", all boondog is doing is listing the folders in the /packs/ folder. Double check that you extracted ALL the files & folders from the zip.

What happens when you choose "Play Tutorial" ?
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

realy nice game i tested it on linux
witch version of fbsound do you use?

Joshy
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

@D.J.Peters: I'm using fbsound0.03h

@Mysoft: Cheers for the help.

Boondog glitches for Windows have been resolved. Download from the first post.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

Quick note!

There was a glitch in the map editor that caused windows to load levels incorrectly.

It has now been fixed! Download from the usual place (first post)
BastetFurry

Post by BastetFurry »

I dont want to be pedantic, but isnt fbgfx under the GPL (yeah, thats right, missing the L at the beginning...) or something? ;)
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

lol
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

@BasetFurry: Can you explain how that is relevant? I don't understand the connection you are making between fbgfx GPL and Boongdog.
HD_

Post by HD_ »

If you use something which has the GPL license, then you have to release the source to your project, or something like that. In any case, fbgfx is under LGPL now.

I don't really understand the licenses, too much reading, even the summaries. Also, the fact that SDL seems to have a conflicting version of LGPL as other versions I have read, I am only further confused.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

I see. So there is nothing to worry about then?
BastetFurry

Post by BastetFurry »

If its LGPL then not.
Good to know, BTW ;)
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

mambazo wrote:I see. So there is nothing to worry about then?
fbgfx is LGPL code, but unlike the runtime library it lacks an licence exception that explicitly states that it can be used in closed source applications.

There appears to be general agreement that you can dynamically link a closed source program to LGPL code without making your source public (the LGPL code must be public in all cases), but there is a difference of opinion as to the rules regarding static linking (as you have done). Some people argue that you must make the LGPL code public (not a problem in your case) others argue that all the code must be public. This has never been resolved in court, so in recent years most people include a licence exception in LGPL code to make it explicit how the code can be used.

lillo, who wrote the fbgfx library, used LGPL without a licence exception. This may reflect the general understanding at the time that this licence would be allow use in closed source applications. He has stated in private emails that it is his intention that the code can be linked to by closed source programs, but he never modified the source with a licence exception. Only the runtime library was modified.

As it was his intention that it could be linked to closed source programmes, you have no legal concerns by not releasing your code, as intention is what counts.

Why not make the code public? Because it is not finished yet?

Garvan
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

Thanks for clarifying.

I can make the code public, if that is what people want :) I have no problem with that. I just didn't see the need to make it public, as there is no ground-breaking code in Boondog that is worth sharing, so I just never thought about it.

Now that I think about it, releasing the source would only cause one issue regarding levelpack passwords. One could easily reverse the encoding function.

Does everyone want the source code to Boondog?
BastetFurry

Post by BastetFurry »

mambazo wrote:Now that I think about it, releasing the source would only cause one issue regarding levelpack passwords. One could easily reverse the encoding function.
Someone who really want that could make a decoder out of the assembly of your program.

Why i would like the code...
If fbc gets its C emitter i could, for example, recompile the game for Amiga and other 68k plattforms.
We have several non x86 computers in the Bunker that could benefit from a bunch of games when showcased. (No, no fbc for the C64, even if its taunting ;) )
I know for sure that you dont have any interest in crosscompiling your game besides Lin and Win, you could even loose the code. Happend often enough with other projects, especial emulators seem to be haunted by harddrive crashes...

Lets just say, its a backup for you and others might learn a thing or two from your code or even enhance it/create a game mod.

EDIT:
Why arent links underlined here?!? *grumble*
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

@BastetFurry: Actually, I'd love to cross-compile to everything, but I don't have the means to do it. If you'd like to compile Boondog for more platforms (I'm thinking mobile phones too) please drop me an email: mambazo*aatt*gmail*ddott*com

Regarding the legal issues mentioned above. I know money is a touchy topic. What I have in mind, is to give the Boondog game away for free, with the "Tutorial" and "Pack 1 - The Facility", and then charge around $1 to $3 dollars for extra official levelpacks. I'm sure thats not too much to fork out if you're hooked :) Its a long time dream to make a dollar (a euro in my case) from a game.

Hopefully, because the levelpacks contain absolutely no code (they're just a folder with a few .pngs, .lvl's and an mp3), I can sell them freely. Also, because they're created with Boondog itself, I should be able to put a clause in the license preventing others from selling levelpacks. People who buy levelpacks will have bragging rights, and some shiny medal by their forum avatar :P or something. Similar to the idea that, if you make your own camera, you're still allowed to sell your photos :)

Are there any pitfalls in the above suggestion? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

Finally decided to download and play this game...

I spent over 1.5 hours on pack 1 alone...

I love it.
Last edited by Imortis on Jul 24, 2008 1:20, edited 1 time in total.