[Alzir] 3-Week Roguelike outcome...

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
mambazo

[Alzir] 3-Week Roguelike outcome...

Post by mambazo »

I gave myself 3 weeks to write a Roguelike.

It isn't fully finished, but it is playable!

I went for a new style of user input. Instead of every button on the keyboard being used for something different, you have a quick menu system, that becomes second nature very quickly.

Hope you all enjoy it. Source code is included, so if you decide to make something more of it, do let me know!

Alzir Source

Alzir (Win32 exe)

EDIT:-

Nice Features:-

Intuitive Menu System
Randomly Enchanted Magical Items ( 336 possible enchantment combinations per item )
32-Bit Real-Time Dynamic Lighting, lol

EDIT:- The deadline for this was the 7th of Jan. So I've stopped working on it now. I hope to use some of the concepts here as a basis for a very large scale RL in the future. @1000101: *wink*
Last edited by mambazo on Jan 11, 2008 13:38, edited 3 times in total.
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

I like the menu system. It took me a moment to understand that I needed to launch the menu to issue non movement commands, as I have habits from playing other RL's.

Integrating all the controls and commands into one set of keys the way you have makes mastering the control scheme easy, since these same keys are used in the menu system as well as movement it was easy and intuative for me.

Thanks for sharing :)

By the way, do you have a todo list for the features you wanted but have not implemented yet?
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Very neat one, great ascii roque.
Ill for sure follow this topic to see when its finished.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

A TODO list. Well, there is a tiny bit of TODO left in the Alzir.bas at the start.

Off the top of my head, I had:-

Diary pages:- These are pages found once every 5 or so dungeon levels, that tell the story of a previous adventurer who failed to escape. By reading the pages you find out what he did wrong, and can try to do it right yourself, so you can escape the dungeons.

Go Upstairs:- Would require a bit of rework. For maps to be saved, maybe as the whole set of maps in one file, or a single file per map. I hadn't decided. Probably the latter, as the save file is already about 600k.

Way more items/weapons/monsters:- I found it very difficult to balance these against the player's XP level. Also make Axe's and Maces have some kind of advantage & disadvantage over the other weapons. Swords are 'standard', spears have an extra attack range. but axes and maces have nothing special.

I'm sure there was more but I forgot it all. lol
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

mambazo wrote:A TODO list. Well, there is a tiny bit of TODO left in the Alzir.bas at the start.

Off the top of my head, I had:-

Diary pages:- These are pages found once every 5 or so dungeon levels, that tell the story of a previous adventurer who failed to escape. By reading the pages you find out what he did wrong, and can try to do it right yourself, so you can escape the dungeons.
This sounds great, especially if they could be somehow generated differently for each game.
mambazo wrote:Go Upstairs:- Would require a bit of rework. For maps to be saved, maybe as the whole set of maps in one file, or a single file per map. I hadn't decided. Probably the latter, as the save file is already about 600k.
I would go with the seperate files also. Maybe consider some kind of compression for the files if they get too big.
mambazo wrote:Way more items/weapons/monsters:- I found it very difficult to balance these against the player's XP level. Also make Axe's and Maces have some kind of advantage & disadvantage over the other weapons. Swords are 'standard', spears have an extra attack range. but axes and maces have nothing special.

I'm sure there was more but I forgot it all. lol
Yeah. I had a test rpg where maces had a chance to do stun damage, that temporarily slowed the opponents, and the axes did a bit more damage but had a slower attack. Another way to do this is implement the basic bash, pierce, cut damage and make different armor types or monsters resist different ones. (give the player a reason to collect different weapon types)
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

FYI: Error when using FB 18.3 in Alzir.bas

Lines 226 - 231

Code: Select all

'' Wipe monsters!
      for y as integer = 0 to ubound( monster,2 )
         for x as integer = 0 to ubound( monster,1 )
            SetTile Monster( x, y ), m_empty
         next y
      next x
The x,y after nexts are out of order.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

Good catch, thanks.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I like the look and feel of the game so far. Really cool. Are you done with this game or will you release new versions later?
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Looks nice, even for a RL (I don't usually play RL's much). I do have a couple things I don't like about it though:
-I like to be able to go full screen. I have a widescreen, so I can barely read things in that little tiny window there. I wish people didn't limit my ability to go full screen.
-The controls are strange. Perhaps some better documentation would help, but it would be even better if you let the user set the controls (even in a text file, if you had to).

Other than those, I'll say this: I personally won't be angry with you if you go over your two week limit and keep developing it ;)
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

notthecheatr wrote:-I like to be able to go full screen. I have a widescreen, so I can barely read things in that little tiny window there. I wish people didn't limit my ability to go full screen.
You have the source code right there. The size of the maps are generated based on the screen dimensions. If you want 640x480 fullscreen, all you have to do is change line 47:-

ScreenW = 640, ScreenH = 480

and line 62:-

fullscreen = &h1

The maps will be twice the size.

I do hope to revisit this in the future. Custom user keys is also something that was on my todo list, now that you mention it :)
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Err... standing on top of the ladder I couldn't figure out how to go up, so I was messing around in the menu and I died (I didn't see anything, so I don't know how). The program then crashed (Windows gave its standard "want to report the error?" message, so it must be a memory leak).
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

I apologize for your untimely death.

It may have been the accidental drinking of an unidentified poison potion.

You can't ascend the stairs just yet. It was discussed in a previous post :)

As for the crash, in my 6621+ lines of code I'm pretty sure I won't find the bug any time soon. lol

I'll be doing a complete re-write of the whole thing for the 'non-time-limited-edition' so don't fret. With proper bounds checks.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Incredible piece of work you have here! The graphics are all well done, and I do like the menu system. As much as I love Rogue, ADOM, etc., the menu system you have is easy to use and effective. Your help tip tutorial is a very nice touch, too.

Only problem when I played was I got stuck not being able to "find" a hidden door. It was the first room on the second level... kept saying "the wall here looks different" but never found a door to move through. Minor bummer, but I need to head to bed anyways. ; )

Best wishes on the full game! I look forward to playing it.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

Glad you enjoyed it!
Ryan wrote:I got stuck not being able to "find" a hidden door.
In the second screen tip, it mentions that you use Num5 or S to search.It also says you might 'miss' something on the first search. So press Num5 a few times near that different wall, and you'll find the passage.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Hi there. Have been away for a looooong time and read about your roguelike today. I would be very happy if u could make a compiled version so I can try it out. All my fb-files are dead and burried ;)
Thanks!