Win to Linux conversion

Linux specific questions.
b3333734

Win to Linux conversion

Post by b3333734 »

Hi there,
I have an old game I designed for windows, but I would like to know if it's possible to compile to use in linux. I'm using the Allegro 4 and fmod libraries. Are those libraries available for linux? I'm not familiar with linux, but if I know it's possible I can then look into this further. Thanks
MrSwiss

Re: Win to Linux conversion

Post by MrSwiss »

@b3333734,

first step I'd take, Test: is the Source compiling on WIN, with a current Version of FBC for WIN32/64.
If this is successful, then Chances are good, that it will also compile/run on LIN (the same Lib's used).

Wellcome to the Forum.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Sure if those libraries are available on Linux then it should be a pretty simple matter of a compile. If your code uses file I/O, there may be issues of file paths you'll have to work out in your code. For example Windows uses backslash as a separator, everyone else uses forwards slash. Also if your code refers to drive letters you'll have to change that.

You can easily find out whether those libraries are available on Linux.
b3333734

Post by b3333734 »

MrSwiss wrote:@b3333734,
first step I'd take, Test: is the Source compiling on WIN, with a current Version of FBC for WIN32/64.
If this is successful, then Chances are good, that it will also compile/run on LIN (the same Lib's used).
Thank you. Yes, the game was programmed in FB. It compiles fine using the latest version.
caseih wrote:Sure if those libraries are available on Linux then it should be a pretty simple matter of a compile. If your code uses file I/O, there may be issues of file paths you'll have to work out in your code. For example Windows uses backslash as a separator, everyone else uses forwards slash. Also if your code refers to drive letters you'll have to change that.

You can easily find out whether those libraries are available on Linux.
Yes, I found out Fmod and Allegro have linux versions. I'm guessing Linux doesn't use dll's? Would I have to recompile the libraries? If linux doesn't use dll's, what are the equivalents? (I have zero experiece with linux).

Thanks for any help.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

b3333734 wrote:If linux doesn't use dll's, what are the equivalents?
The equivalent of a .dll in LIN, is a .so (dynamically loaded LIB, at run-time).