DOS Complied Program to access MySQL Server

DOS specific questions.
Gablea

DOS Complied Program to access MySQL Server

Post by Gablea »

Hi everyone,

Can some one help I have been trying to compile a DOS program that uses the MySQL functions and I keep getting
id: cannot find -lmysqlclient
I was just wondering if anyone has managed to make a working DOS app that connect to a MySQL Server?

MySQL Server is running on a Linux PC on my network and it is fully access able from all my Computers on the network (I know it works fine with FreeBASIC as I have another application I am working on for Windows and that loads, complies and communicates to the server with no problem) I hope someone can help me as I would like to start to use FreeDOS on some of my Single function machines (Customer information points) and I do not want to have to work out a way of getting Data from the servers into a Binary data file and transferring it to the Display terminals (as since I moved into vb.net the binary files are not being read correctly in the FreeBASIC Program)
exagonx

Re: DOS Complied Program to access MySQL Server

Post by exagonx »

Gablea wrote:Hi everyone,

Can some one help I have been trying to compile a DOS program that uses the MySQL functions and I keep getting
id: cannot find -lmysqlclient
I was just wondering if anyone has managed to make a working DOS app that connect to a MySQL Server?
You need a Connector for C
Can download it from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/
But are no connector for DOS Only Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS and Solaris.

Also you can make a command line program for Windows Shell (Prompt MSDOS)
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

I do need the program to run in pure dos
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

Gablea wrote:I do need the program to run in pure dos
Oracle Provides MySQL Library and connector only for the OS listed before, Old DOS is useles OS now, is better for you use Linux platform, you can manage better than DOS.
If your ploblem is old machine , you can download a version for old CPU like 386 and 486 without X or other heavy software.
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

I would love to move the machine into Linux BUT the price checking machine is a ROM based terminal and it will only load into DOS
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

Gablea wrote:I would love to move the machine into Linux BUT the price checking machine is a ROM based terminal and it will only load into DOS
Where you can load DOS linux work too.
What machine is, and how much memory have ?

You can try to reflash the ROM with a linux kernel or load linux using lilo.exe, in the hold machine was not possible install dual boot and for boot linux you have to run lilo.exe from dos and then start linux, if the machine can you can load the GUI XWindow, with startx command.
The migration is possibile where run FreeBASIC Compiler can run linux too.
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

I have all ready looked into moving them to Linux but the machine is hard coded to run DOS (built into the acual motherboard are the dos rom chips.)

This one is at the moment a symbol ppt-3100 hand held scanner.
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

Gablea wrote:I have all ready looked into moving them to Linux but the machine is hard coded to run DOS (built into the acual motherboard are the dos rom chips.)

This one is at the moment a symbol ppt-3100 hand held scanner.
Not enough memory, you can use like remote terminal anyway

if you have a server with MySQL, and can make another software server side.

You have to make 2 Software
1) Server side where can read MySQL and other database and send the dato to the client connected (TCP IP Connector needed)
2) Client side, in DOS you need Lan Card driver , TCP IP Driver (connector)

This is the way for work with low ammount of memory,

Or you can put a TTY Server telnet and open a remote screen in the sever where you have the software.

The ppt-3100 is only a terminal, the DOS give more versatility , and can instal a personal client or tty terminal (like a Kermit , Telnet, ecc)
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

I have been thinking about a server on the database server destined to send data to the dos machine via TCP (but in not sure how I would do this as I can have upto 20 price checking terminals with in a customers site)

Or would it be best to have the servers siting on the terminals (they all have fully working network cards and I can install the Microsoft TCP/IP package)
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

Gablea wrote:I have been thinking about a server on the database server destined to send data to the dos machine via TCP (but in not sure how I would do this as I can have upto 20 price checking terminals with in a customers site)

Or would it be best to have the servers siting on the terminals (they all have fully working network cards and I can install the Microsoft TCP/IP package)
Server side If you have Windows (NT Family 2000, xp, 2003, vista, 7,8,10) can go in program manager and active the Telnet server.
Client side Download Kermit ( is a TTY Client for DOS ) make a batch with the command for link automatically to the server.
Server Side again compile your personal sofware and configure telnet server for run your program when user log in .

When you done , at start of your client atomatically you see your program start and operative.

that if you dont want waste time for make two software server and client with network tcp support
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

most of the network is linux machines it is just these price check terminals that are dos based (but i am trying to convince the customer to update to ibm kiosks as they run linux with no problems and their touch screens work fine in Debian (the linux disto i know) but until they move i need to support what they have.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Gablea wrote:I have been thinking about a server on the database server destined to send data to the dos machine via TCP (but in not sure how I would do this as I can have upto 20 price checking terminals with in a customers site)

SQL is designed to run as a server serving multiple/many clients at the same time. So you would have one machine that is the MySQL server, and then your clients would all connect to that over tcp/ip, presumably using the libmysqlclient library. So no you don't want the serves sitting on the terminals. Bear in mind that MySQL's TCP/IP protocol, while it will support SSL, is not really designed to be used over the open internet, but on a local LAN it's okay. You'd use basic username and password authentication when connecting to the database server.

If you can get a proper TCP/IP stack installed on DOS (I think there's one compatible with FB), then you'd have to recompile libmysqlclient. Doing that is going to be quite a trick though.
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

caseih wrote: If you can get a proper TCP/IP stack installed on DOS (I think there's one compatible with FB), then you'd have to recompile libmysqlclient. Doing that is going to be quite a trick though.
libmysqlclient need 512kb of RAM , 32BIT CPU, 32BIT Native OS,
Is not possibile compile on a machine with 256Kb of RAM with 16Bit Native OS and 16 Bit CPU like "ppt-3100"
Is better make one client where work in the same MySQL server machine and give access with a simple terminal server in SSL protocol like Kermit under DOS
I dont know another TTY Client under DOS support SSL protocol
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

Gablea wrote:most of the network is linux machines it is just these price check terminals that are dos based (but i am trying to convince the customer to update to ibm kiosks as they run linux with no problems and their touch screens work fine in Debian (the linux disto i know) but until they move i need to support what they have.
Is a good machine all you have is find a best way to use all features without wast time and resorce
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

I emailed MySQL and they did confirm that they had a dos library for MySQL but they lost it a few years ago when it was deleted from their archives.

They did say I could make my own library but I would be on my own as they do not support dos any more.

The Linux interface works a treat I just wish I could get the dos machines to work the same way.

Maybe I am asking to much of dos in this project.