Freebasic/Geany IDE in Win7

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
jam

Freebasic/Geany IDE in Win7

Post by jam »

So I started using freebasic with the FBedit IDE a few years ago. OK, but could never get any debug to work. I searched around and saw a few recommendations for Geaney. So I DL'd and installed. Looks nice, I can create a project, but can't get it to compile.Gives me a file not found error. (15:19:11: Process failed (CreateProcess() failed: The system cannot find the file specified.)

Apparently something's not rght. What do I need to set in Geany to compile/operate with freebasic?

I also have the debug plugin for Geany and would appreciate any help getting that going as well.

Not new to programming, but I must be missing something super-obvious here...

(Running Win7-64 , BTW)

Thanks,
Jerry
dkl
Site Admin

Re: Freebasic/Geany IDE in Win7

Post by dkl »

Maybe it can't find fbc.exe. I think by default it will just try to invoke "fbc", but for that to work you'd have to add the directory containing fbc.exe to the system-wide PATH environment variable. Alternatively you can enter the full path to fbc.exe under Build -> Set Build Command, e.g. by putting "C:\Program Files\FreeBASIC\fbc.exe" in place of "fbc".
jam

Post by jam »

Thanks, dkl...

I looked at the build Command' settings, and added the full path...still no luck. I'm thinking that the 'can't find file' message is referring to the source file. Here's why:
I had been working on a program in FBedit, xxxx.bas

I installed Geany, and selected new project, gave it a name, yyy.geany

Then I opened the existing xxx.bas file in Geany. I can't seem to get this file associated with the yyy.geany project file.

How does it know geany know a file is a Freebasic file?

Thanks again,
Jerry
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

On the other hand, it says CreateProcess(), which suggests something is trying to run an executable. I've seen this weird error message before, from gcc.exe. You're using FreeBASIC-1.03.0-win64, right? That defaults to using -gen gcc. Do you have both these files in your FreeBASIC installation:
bin/win64/gcc.exe
bin/libexec/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.9.2/cc1.exe
because I remember gcc.exe showing an error message like that if cc1.exe was missing.

Another thing to try is to check whether you can compile .bas files using fbc from a cmd.exe command prompt/console window. (I'm not sure whether it's a problem with the FB install or with Geany)