Currently inactive

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
TeeEmCee

Re: Currently inactive

Post by TeeEmCee »

Well, it's really an Emscripten backend which strongly resembles the SDL 1.2 API. On closer inspection, src/gfxlib2/js/gfx_driver.c contains heaps of Emscripten-specific code, so there's no way it can be compiled elsewhere, probably easier to rewrite. The SDL2 backend is the way to go, particularly because SDL2 has official iOS and Android ports, whereas the unofficial Android port of SDL 1.2 is the biggest mess you've ever seen (as a user of it, I wholeheartedly recommend avoiding it, despite owing a debt of gratitude to the developers). And I don't know the state of SDL 1.2 ports to iOS, but from a quick Google search it doesn't look promising.
sean_vn

Post by sean_vn »

I can use FB for another while yet. I just don't want to completely paint myself into a corner. So what other programming language will allow low level programming with easy access to graphics, keyboard, mouse etc? I'll do more research.
St_W

Post by St_W »

sean_vn wrote:I just don't want to completely paint myself into a corner. So what other programming language will allow low level programming with easy access to graphics, keyboard, mouse etc?
C/C++ plus some library; for example C & SDL or C++ & Qt.
sean_vn

Post by sean_vn »

I don't like the restrictions in C like no integer overflows (without special compiler options). Also dragging in a lot libraries I never found to be convenient. It has kind of reached a stage where you are forced to mix and match different languages. Maybe the Processing language for easy graphics and FB/C/D for low level/Systems code. Or TCL/TK and Nim or Crystal. Is there an easy way to get all these things to talk to each other? One thing I just found on the internet is interprocess communication using FIFOs in Linux:
https://www.softprayog.in/programming/i ... s-in-linux
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

wild thought: an extremely stripped down fb

to start, just basic types like ulongint, double, and eval functions
sean_vn

Post by sean_vn »

Then there is the array issue that never was properly handled in FB. I would say all arrays and user defined types should always be handled as pointers.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Except that arrays in QB were always handled via special array handles and structures. Since FB evolved to be somewhat compatible with QB the fact that FB users array handles instead of c style pointers is not surprising. Changing that may not be desirable.
bihai

Post by bihai »

Easy to port<>portable.
Why not consider a script interpreter system under html5 with javascript or node?
Maybe we can extend fbrt to a nodejs addin, and use fbgfx2 emcripten to form GUI.
But that'll be a big project, and not so easy.
Many will come to fb if she has android/iOS ports.
TeeEmCee

Post by TeeEmCee »

bihai wrote:Why not consider a script interpreter system under html5 with javascript or node?
Maybe we can extend fbrt to a nodejs addin, and use fbgfx2 emcripten to form GUI.
I don't understand what you're suggesting. There already is an emscripten port of FB; no need to rewrite anything or switch to an interpreter. (Emscripten has a builtin interpreter to allow async processing)
bihai

Post by bihai »

TeeEmCee wrote: I don't understand what you're suggesting. There already is an emscripten port of FB; no need to rewrite anything or switch to an interpreter. (Emscripten has a builtin interpreter to allow async processing)
I mean we need an freebasic interpreter for portable usage, such as html5 and/or ARM/andorid/iOS, like old BASIC or vb6 immediate/debug window.
Because javascript is very portable, so maybe we just need a javascript/typescript freebasic interpreter which can be powered by nodejs or emscripten, for example.
TeeEmCee

Post by TeeEmCee »

FB on ARM works, as far as my testing shows, perfectly. The thing that is letting down FB ports to platforms like iOS is fbgfx. Creating an FB interpreter does not help with those problems at all!
C is generally regarded as the most portable of all languages. FB compiles to C - that's the best portability that we could ask for!
Well, in reality, FB targets GCC, not standard C, and doesn't even support clang, which is something we need to fix. (Actually, it might only be -exx that is a problem; I haven't checked)
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Heya... I'm replying to your very first post. I really didn't read many of the others. Anyway, I would like to offer my sincere thanks and admiration. I hope whatever you're going to do next is exactly what you hope for. This compiler and the attached community taught me almost everything I know about programming. Honestly, I'd still just be plunking around with odd ideas here and there, if all of this had never happened. Thank you. :)
datwill310

Post by datwill310 »

I've been seeing this post for a while now, and I only think it is fair and right to say,

Thank you. I've only been a member of the community for just over a year, but I really sense your dedication to this project and what you have provided in terms of effort, skill etc. ;)! As well as the others who are dedicated to maintaining the project.

I do believe Free BASIC is a worthy programming language, and I recognise that it wouldn't be at this position without your efforts.

It's funny how users can take the software and other stuff that they use for granted, and don't take so much time to truly realise how much dedication it takes to build them.

Sincerely hope you have a good one, as they say ;),

Dan.
davidj

Post by davidj »

Thank you dkl for all of the work you have done providing us with this great compiler. It's certainly one hell of a hobby project, and as things get bigger and the complexity multiplies it starts to become more of a "job" than a hobby and one of the key things about a job is it's either gotta pay the bills or be extremely interesting to you in some way else it is pointless. It's tough, being such a small community and all, but hopefully this motivates people to check out the compiler and RTL and maybe consider making some contributions themselves. I know I certainly will try my best to learn more.

Thanks again DKL.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

dkl, Thank-you. Some may understand the efforts, the time given, the hard work. Everyone should know the amazing results you have brought to the project. The high level quality of contributions, maintaining the headers & bindings, binary packages, and keeping everything working, is truly remarkable. Wonderful to have had you leading the project.