[solved not really] Any Ubuntu guru here ?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
D.J.Peters

[solved not really] Any Ubuntu guru here ?

Post by D.J.Peters »

I used slackware Linux many years but I don't got a multiboot config with windows 10 64-bit running (looks like LILO are a little bit behind GRUB).

Now I installed Ubuntu parallel to Windows 10 and all works so far.

I create and test a new firmware for my old DSO-2100 oscilloscope (with USB an cypress fx chip) and use the fxload command to upload the new firmware as Intel hex file.
Here are the Ubuntu man page for the fxload command: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/har ... oad.8.html
and my entry in /etc/udev/rules.d

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add",  ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",  ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="0547" ENV{ID_MODEL}=="1006", GROUP="plugdev", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -m 0777 -t an21 -I /usr/share/dso2100/DSO2100_firmware.hex -D $env{DEVNAME}"
Every time I plug my DSO in a USB port fxload are executed and uploads my new firmware.
The problem are I can use my FreeBASIC DSO application only with extended rights like root.
sudo ./DSO2100
If I run it as "normal" user I can enumerate the USB device but open device will fail.

My questions are:
[solved] Is GROUP="plugdev" the right USB group for all normal users on Ubuntu ?

The option -m from fxload command I use -m 0777 for full access is it right ?

On slackware a normal user is automatic a member of the plugdev group and can use all USB devices (cameras, scanners, sticks ...) without the need to be root or use sudo.

Thank you.

Joshy
Last edited by D.J.Peters on Mar 19, 2016 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
D.J.Peters

Re: [offtopic] Any Ubuntu guru here ?

Post by D.J.Peters »

Looks like I'm a member of the plugdev group so it must be something wrong with the fxload -m option.
joshy@P4 wrote:groups joshy
groups joshy : joshy adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
speedfixer

Re: [offtopic] Any Ubuntu guru here ?

Post by speedfixer »

try here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1342955

Might be enough to send you in the right direction.

david
D.J.Peters

Re: [solved not really] Any Ubuntu guru here ?

Post by D.J.Peters »

david thank you
I readed all about the rules of udev
looks like my (old slackware) version of "fxload.c" is not the same as the version that comes with Ubuntu.

Joshy