Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
fxm

Re: Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

Post by fxm »

dkl or counting_pine,

Since fbc 0.90.0, __Offsetof() stopped working in the lang qb.

- In lang fb, Offsetof() is defined as:
#define OffsetOf(typename, fieldname) CInt( @Cast( typename Ptr, 0 )->fieldname )

- In lang qb, __Offsetof() should be defined as:
#define __OffsetOf(typename, fieldname) CLng( @__Cast( typename __Ptr, 0 )->fieldname )

A workaround:
#undef __OffsetOf
#define __OffsetOf(typename, fieldname) CLng( @__Cast( typename __Ptr, 0 )->fieldname )

[edit]
- Modified to be consistent with: Fix -lang qb's __offsetof() to follow the pointer casting rules.
- Back to my initially proposed content that the fix has now rallied: -lang qb __offsetof(): Don't truncate offset to 16 bit.
Last edited by fxm on Mar 31, 2015 18:19, edited 4 times in total.
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

Thanks, fixed in Git.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Maybe it should just return a Long. It could save an unnecessary downcast, and will prevent unexpected results for types over 64kb long.
(Those are admittedly rare though, particularly in QB code:)
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

Yea, I suppose that would be better.
St_W

Post by St_W »

You may have noticed that my nightly builds are currently not up to date. The reason for this is a system failure:
0x000000ED (Unmountable_Boot_Volume)

It will probably take some days until I get a new hard disk and have restored the data from backups & data recovery. I also fear that some (not that important) data is lost, as the last backup was made quite some time ago. However, the drive is not completely dead (yet), so I hope that data recovery gets some data back.

I'm sorry for the outage and will inform you when the system is up again.
St_W

Post by St_W »

System is up again, all data restored. The solution is only a temporary, though. So maybe further downtimes will occur until I've fixed everything.
New builds will be uploaded tonight. The headers package was already updated.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Bug on PRINT comma-padding in FreeBASIC 1.04
Perhaps due to: Fix PRINT comma padding wrapping into next line too early (#745)

Since some days (about on 2015-09-20), a bug on PRINT comma-padding appeared in the current version 1.04 of FreeBASIC:

Code: Select all

print 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
print 1.1, 1.1, 1.1, 1.1, 1.1
print 1.11, 1.11, 1.11, 1.11, 1.11
print 1.111, 1.111, 1.111, 1.111, 1.111

Sleep
Compiling with 'fbc_win32_mingw_0387_2015-09-19.zip':

1             1             1             1             1
 1.1           1.1           1.1           1.1           1.1
 1.11          1.11          1.11          1.11          1.11
 1.111         1.111         1.111         1.111         1.111
Compiling with 'fbc_win32_mingw_0392_2015-09-20.zip':

1           1             1             1             1
 1.1       1.1           1.1           1.1           1.1
 1.11     1.11          1.11          1.11          1.11
 1.111   1.111         1.111         1.111         1.111
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

This should be fixed in Git now; I've reverted a change from another commit that caused the problem.
St_W

Post by St_W »

btw the x64 win tests are failing due to linker errors already since several builds. It was working again for some builds, but now is failing again since multiple days.
fbc.exe -c -w 3 -i fbcu/include -mt dim/byref.bas
dim/byref.c:32:72: error: '_ZN9FBC_TESTS4DIM_6BYREF_9ALLDTYPES7XCLASS$E' undeclared here (not in a function)
static struct $N9FBC_TESTS4DIM_6BYREF_9ALLDTYPES8CLASSUDTE* tmp$118 = &_ZN9FBC_TESTS4DIM_6BYREF_9ALLDTYPES7XCLASS$E;
^
dim/byref.c:37:77: error: '_ZN9FBC_TESTS4DIM_6BYREF_13NOCTORSCALLED10GLOBALUDT$E' undeclared here (not in a function)
static struct $N9FBC_TESTS4DIM_6BYREF_13NOCTORSCALLED8CLASSUDTE* tmp$144 = &_ZN9FBC_TESTS4DIM_6BYREF_13NOCTORSCALLED10GLOBALUDT$E;
@dkl: you are missing on IRC, I think mysoft also told he had some bug to report.
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

The C backend issue with references is fixed in Git now, the test suite should be working again (aside from the "usual" bitfields/format() failures).

I didn't see any linker error though; but then again I don't run the tests on 64bit very often (currently I only have 64bit VMs running on a 32bit system and compiling stuff there is just ridiculously slow).
St_W

Post by St_W »

dkl wrote:The C backend issue with references is fixed in Git now, the test suite should be working again (aside from the "usual" bitfields/format() failures).
Thank you for the fix, the linker errors are gone.
dkl wrote:I didn't see any linker error though; but then again I don't run the tests on 64bit very often (currently I only have 64bit VMs running on a 32bit system and compiling stuff there is just ridiculously slow).
I can fully understand that you can't test on all platforms (DOS, Linux x86/x64, Windows x86/x64) every time. That's what continuous integration and automated testing tools are for. I've only some experience with Jenkins, which I'm using for the automated builds (and at work), but maybe we should take a look at Travis CI, which is a free hosted solution for open source projects (so Travis CI is available as a cloud service, while the Jenkins server is hosted on my own hardware). I've no experience with Travis CI, however, and I don't know whether the build environment needed for FreeBasic is supported. e.g. it only provides MacOSX and Linux platforms, so DOS and Windows are not available there.
//edit: I've just stumbled over App Veyor, which provides a CI solution for Windows and is also free for open source projects. There are a dozen other other similar service providers, but cross-platform providers seem to be rare or non-existing.
St_W

Post by St_W »

My build server is down since Monday and will be at least until the end of this week. Reason is again a hardware problem.
The old builds are still available as they are stored on a different server, there just will be no new build in case anything would be committed to the master branch. (in the last month there have been no commits on the master branch anyway)
Sorry for the downtime.
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

I want to thank you, St_W, for the builds in the past.
And hope they can be restored soon?

While I don't update frequently, it is *very* instructive to see the incremental changes as they are applied to better understand how and where development is happening, what problems and challenges are encountered as the source is changed, and the very fine work that dkl and a few others are doing.

It also gives a hint what we should look for in any change.

david
caseih

Post by caseih »

Well another very instructive thing you can do is to track the changes on FB's github page. See this page for general commits:
https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/commits/master

An example of a specific commit and the changes that were made:
https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/commit ... bc627e29d3

It's very clear what was changed. In fact you won't get this information from simply downloading a nightly build and trying it blindly.
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

Each individual commented commit is individually noted at the daily posting per build type. I do not have to hunt at all to find them. If the date changes on any file, something is changed and very easily found. Not so easy to find at the other locations.