any good news?
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I happen to love this game, btw.
AlexZ

v0.5

Post by AlexZ »

Hey guys,

Sorry for being dead silent but my studies are pretty time intensive and they have priority. Haven't had time to do anything the last 2 months but I did a few additions and fixes yesterday evening. Programming a RTS game is no easy task, there a so many things to take into account, should have thought about that beforehand ;-) Anyway, I don't want to complain but rather give you a playable new version for real.

Get it here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-592 ... 5.rar.html

The download still weighs hefty 15MB, I'm sorry for that. If someone can point me to really decent <1MB space-themed music files that don't sound too 1980ish I will be more than happy to replace the huge mp3s I use now.

All in all the gameplay hasn't changed too much, did mainly fixes and little additions. The supply lines don't serve any purpose yet, will have to wait for the next version.

I hope you still enjoy it, and please post feedback!
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Btw, any chance a Moderator could move this thread to Game Dev? I guess it rather belongs there.
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Alright, I've just added a test code which is randomly placed enemy turrets that target the ballons when they are within a circular range of 10 units and damage them i.e. deduct health.

Next step will be to allow building of own turrets and then add some enemy dust monsters or something who will rush towards your own base. This should be fun and make the game a lot more interesting :)

redcrab

Post by redcrab »

...Very nice evolution since the beginning !
...This version is quite more challenging at the beginning but become very easy afterward. (When you have enough metal extraction)
... Does the 3D version dead ?
... One critic could be to remove highlight ground red square when the mouse cursor is over menu building or other selectable right items (quite confusing at the beginning)....

What about the generated Dr_D's 3D bitmaps ... planned to use them ? They are awesome for this kind of game ...

Keep going , that's very promising

That's fun !
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Hmm...how about providing a no sound version?
TbbW

Post by TbbW »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Hmm...how about providing a no sound version?
oooh shush!
dont make a sound!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Incredible... I love the opening *whoosh* and then the subtle intro to the music in game. A couple bits of usability feedback...

It wasn't immediately obvious to me that I was viewing the help screen when a random game started... so I hit enter, space, and escape all before hitting F1 to remove that window.

At the same time, I found that hitting escape and choosing resume makes you unable to select any units or click any building buttons. You have to start over.

Keep up the good work!
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

awesome game!
I encountered the same bug Ryan did as well, though.

gonna release the source?
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I removed the bug, also I've added enemies. So far they're just spawning at random locations and you can shoot them down with the balloons. Next thing I'll add is either a factory to produce more units or make the enemies move and target objects, whatever I'm in the mood for.

Of course I will release the source, maybe in the next update, but be warned that the code is a mess ;-) If a project is growing like this, and you add bits of code here and there it gets wild soon. It's really my fault, I don't spend serious time structuring the code, so that's how it is.
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Btw, has nobody bothered to stay in the main menu for a minute or two? ;-)
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

hey, that's a cool little effect! I was wondering why that green planet was in the main menu image.
do you just fade out the gray planet and fade in the green planet?
AlexZ

Update 0.61

Post by AlexZ »

http://www.file-upload.net/download-598 ... 1.rar.html

Just replace the current files with the files in the update, and put laser.wav in the sfx directory!

So here is an update! I fixed the bug mentioned before, did some changes to the interface, added alien towers that attack the balloons, some aliens that can be shot down, explosion animations for enemies as well as for destroyed buildings, a click and drag selection box to select multiple units (multiple selection not implemented yet) and minor code cleanups. Again feedback please :-)

... Does the 3D version dead ?

For the moment yes.

... One critic could be to remove highlight ground red square when the mouse cursor is over menu building or other selectable right items (quite confusing at the beginning)....

I plan to revamp the menu building so I'm gonna address this for sure.

What about the generated Dr_D's 3D bitmaps ... planned to use them ? They are awesome for this kind of game ...

Yep! First I'd like to add all the stuff that add up to a decent RTS then graphics updates are more then welcome.

do you just fade out the gray planet and fade in the green planet?

yep.
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

how do you destroy the turrets? is it possible yet?
and I can never get my food to grow at a very fast rate, how is that determined?