New FreeBASIC games of not since 2013

Game development specific discussions.
Lachie Dazdarian

New FreeBASIC games of not since 2013

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Hello guys. I missed to update FBGD (http://games.freebasic.net) for 3.5 years now, so I'm wondering if something was released of note since the mid 2013. I would appreciate any tip.

I'm interest to update the site again, you know, to clean some of the cobweb of that site.

I still "own" you guys to update the site with games from this compo: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
vdecampo

Re: New FreeBASIC games of not since 2013

Post by vdecampo »

I miss the little competitions we used to have. We should try to raise money on GoFundMe to provide incentive money for prizes. Sell the idea as promoting education in software and game development, plus they get free games!

-Vince
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

vdecampo wrote:I miss the little competitions we used to have. We should try to raise money on GoFundMe to provide incentive money for prizes. Sell the idea as promoting education in software and game development, plus they get free games!

-Vince
Was the money prize really required or would a simple programming challenge be sufficient?
When I began trying to write simple little game demos it became clear that after writing the "game engine" code the challenge is in the graphics and design of the game itself. After playing around with the RPG Maker VX Ace software to get an idea what was required it became clear that the programming part for such a simple 2D "game engine" would be easy but drawing the graphics would require artistic abilities and designing the world and rooms would require a good tile editor.
It also seems to me that today if you want to reach a wide audience you will need to make it playable on mobile phones.
Lachie Dazdarian

I could probably afford another 200 USD game making compo (out of my own pockets), but I'm not sure if there is still enough interested parties.

Maybe I should open a pool.

So, no new FB games since 2014 of note?
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@ Lachie Dazdarian,
With your last compo I wasn't interested in the prize money. It would have simply been a programming challenge. Just being given a star value between 1 and 10 would have been sufficient motivation. The problem at the time was not having a worthwhile idea that fitted the requirements. Really the only money motivation would be if you actually came up with a game people would pay for. I see this is mainly done now by users liking a game so much they will pay for extended play or in 3D games so complex that it would be impractical to try and write them in FreeBasic.

A simple game done with FreeBasic as proof of concept could be translated into a language capable of running on other platforms.

What does the USD stand for in USD game making compo?
Lachie Dazdarian

As in United States dollars. $

Dunno, I would like to probe the community in a while.

Personally, my ideal route would be to establish myself as an interesting if not outstanding freeware game developer (examples being Renmar: http://www.remar.se/daniel/games.php or Nifflas: http://nifflas.ni2.se), and then maybe crowdfund a project, or simply my hobby, via places like Patreon. I feel I need to establish a name first by giving stuff for free. I've seen a couple of people jumping the shark going (trying to go) commercial too soon. But it's difficult, I know. Game dev is a quite demanding and challenging craft, if you want to do it right. Patience seems to be very important. Things move slow, things get chucked away, redone, retooled, until they are right. It's hard to make peace of doing that for free for years and with dedication...at least for the first few projects.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I could probably afford another 200 USD game making compo (out of my own pockets), but I'm not sure if there is still enough interested parties.

While I appreciate your dedication to the FreeBASIC community, I don't think you should put up your own money. We can either raise money as a community or crowd fund. Or we could just offer a prominent display of the winner of the main FB web page.

-Vince
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote: Game dev is a quite demanding and challenging craft, if you want to do it right.
So what was your last game?
Found Barren 2008. Couldn't figure out how to play it even after reading the readme.txt.

What needs to be given free is a sample play and if the player becomes addicted they will want more. Isn't that how bedazzled made its money?

Lachie Dazdarian

You don't know the game mechanics, or you are just stuck? I can send you a walk-through, I you don't mind using it.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

vdecampo wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I could probably afford another 200 USD game making compo (out of my own pockets), but I'm not sure if there is still enough interested parties.

While I appreciate your dedication to the FreeBASIC community, I don't think you should put up your own money. We can either raise money as a community or crowd fund. Or we could just offer a prominent display of the winner of the main FB web page.

-Vince
I agree. Most of us here would probably prefer the glory and honor of winning the contest over knowing that we just got $$$ at your expense. Though I'd be for a community raised prize. Kind of like betting on yourself. :D
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:You don't know the game mechanics, or you are just stuck? I can send you a walk-through, I you don't mind using it.
My creed has been if you need a manual it is not user friendly, or at least beginner friendly.
I tend to be lazy and hate trying to remember complex controls beyond the arrow keys and maybe a fire or jump button.
However I have just noticed the instruction folder so maybe I will give it another go later.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I'm doing a lot better financially now, so I wouldn't mind chipping in 50 bucks or whatever for the competition. I've seen some really interesting work going on. Pathfinding, polygons, RTS, AAP updated lib, etc... I'd love to participate, but I'm so busy. :( I can contribute a token to the prize money though. :)

EDIT: Btw, did you forget about this? It's not finished, but it's something... and kinda fun to dick around with... and the source code is there as well. :p
Lachie Dazdarian

Yeah, I remember FB Kart. I waited for it to form into some sort of playable demo.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Yeah, I remember FB Kart. I waited for it to form into some sort of playable demo.
Actually, "playable demo" describes it perfectly. lol Do you mean you waited for it to turn into an actual game? There may come a day when I know enough about every aspect of programming to do it, but now is not that time. I would need a team... or at least one other person because it's such a massive workload. Anyway, my offer stands. I'd like to pitch in a bit to get some people working on FB games. :)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Dr_D wrote:Anyway, my offer stands. I'd like to pitch in a bit to get some people working on FB games. :)
FreeBasic without libraries can make 2D platform games or isometric games but the big obstacle is graphics. I have been struggling to draw eight directional isometric sprites with eight frame animations. Now if you have the knowledge to use 3D software to create such images, such as you have with Bloosh, it would make life easier for Boromir, Leopardpm or even myself to write an isometric display for some kinds of games.