New FreeBASIC games of not since 2013

Game development specific discussions.
Dr_D

Re: New FreeBASIC games of not since 2013

Post by Dr_D »

That sounds like a lot of fun man. When we finally get this game finished, I will have a lot more time to do that kind of stuff, and would gladly participate. Until then, if you guys have any prefab models, I can animate some basic walk cycles, fighting animations, chopping/carrying wood, etc... That takes a pretty short amount of time, compared to modeling an entire character from scratch. :)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Dr_D,

By prefab model I assume you mean already having the 3d character stored in some kind of 3d format. I don't know anything about such models. I assumed once designed there would be ways of moving its "bones" through some sequence that took on the actions desired such as walking, chopping wood or fighting and some of these actions would themselves be "prefab".

I don't know how complex the underlying logic of Bloosh is but I do know from my own code that a simple piece of logic looks a lot better when given an isometric display vs. a simpler 2D display even though the actual logic is the same.

Looking at the Bloosh game the logic appears to be a tile game where walkable tiles are arranged as a maze of pathways. You can teleport from one set of paths to another. The game play could be represent as 2D display but without the visual experience with its 3d view and animations.

It seemed to me that the small hand held Nintendo 3DS was the ideal platform for 3D games with its stereoscopic display option. For some reason stereoscopic tv and movies are not all that popular. For a while there were stereoscopic cameras and tv sets for sale but they are no longer there. I do know some people cannot experience stereo vision but I find it makes for a much better experience if you can. The head mounted stereoscopic display offers an even more immersible experience.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Yeah, that's right. There is the rigging though, which is also known as the bones system. I've become pretty efficient with rigging and animating. I can make nice models... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but I'm pleased with them. Anyway, the real problem I have is that it takes me a lot longer to do the modeling and texture mapping than to do decent animations. So, if you guys have any models you want animated, I can make some time to do that, although it still won't be extremely fast, as we're still not finished with Bloosh... close, but not finished. ;)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Dr_D wrote:Yeah, that's right. There is the rigging though, which is also known as the bones system. I've become pretty efficient with rigging and animating.
So that explains the funny walk :)

As we all have the same set of bones I would have imagined the editors would have had different kinds of template actions that could be applied to any given character. Also lots of faces, hair and clothing styles to add to choose from to add to the model. It appears these 3D editors require a lot of art skills to create all those things?

If I had the skills to write such 3D editors I would have a standard mannequin rigging with a stock set of actions and clothes.

From what you write and the years you have been doing this 3D stuff it appears to me it must to have a steep learning curve and probably takes up more time than actual coding?

leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

Dr D, do you still have those Goblin models I sent you - there werer full animations with those and I would be willing to purchase more.... can you make sprite sheets from the animations? They are already rigged and have animations attached.... I sure wished I had finished my stupid IsoVox sprite animation system... it almost sounds like this would be the perfect niche case for it to actually be useful. Easier to draw with a voxel editor than to hand draw each and every facing for each and every frame... but then again, still not as simple as just animating from a 3D model.

The 'professional' models I have purchase have cost me anywhere from $20 to $50, and they came fully rigged and with 6 - 10 different animation series (Idle, walk, Attack, Been Hit, Death, special attack, etc - I forget the others...)
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

some sort of competition could be fun, but I agree with BC (Basiccoder2) that the monetary reward would provide no additional motivation for me - for money to be motivation, it needs to be alot... and the stuff I make sure doesn't have a chance of being worth the amount! lol... the possibility of perhaps coding up a demo game, which might (or might not) be payable in a mobile environment, is a nice dream though - I see some folks have taken their FB games to Steam recently (the burning frog - forget the name exactly, forgive me) and such a forum could also lead to some decent monetary rewards... but I would never expect it to happen.

Even though I would not be motivated by the money, I wouldn't mind chipping in $50 to 'the pot' if needed though...
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

leopardpm wrote:Dr D, do you still have those Goblin models I sent you - there werer full animations with those and I would be willing to purchase more.... can you make sprite sheets from the animations? They are already rigged and have animations attached.... I sure wished I had finished my stupid IsoVox sprite animation system... it almost sounds like this would be the perfect niche case for it to actually be useful. Easier to draw with a voxel editor than to hand draw each and every facing for each and every frame... but then again, still not as simple as just animating from a 3D model.

The 'professional' models I have purchase have cost me anywhere from $20 to $50, and they came fully rigged and with 6 - 10 different animation series (Idle, walk, Attack, Been Hit, Death, special attack, etc - I forget the others...)
Hey! Sorry man... I didn't get a notification about this thread. I do... somewhere here I think. As for the others, as long as we can get them running in Lightwave, I can do up some sprite sheets. Blender is also an option... but I just hate their UI so much. XD
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

leopardpm wrote: I sure wished I had finished my stupid IsoVox sprite animation system...
Well I wouldn't call it stupid. The concept is easy to understand and the code would be much simpler than the complex math intense drawing of 3d textured polygon graphics in real time. Just have a list of pixels with 3D positions, sort them according to distance and then call a simple 3d plot routine for each one. I was thinking about it recently when trying to draw just one set of 8 frames of 8 directions just for a simple walk sequence of a character from an isometric angle thus the reason for bringing back the topic with the 2d rotating cube again. And in the stick man which would be part of it when/if I can rotate a joint in 3 dimensions not just two for a single limb.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

Dr_D wrote:Hey! Sorry man... I didn't get a notification about this thread. I do... somewhere here I think. As for the others, as long as we can get them running in Lightwave, I can do up some sprite sheets. Blender is also an option... but I just hate their UI so much. XD
no worries! You are doing so GREAT on Bloosh and are so very close to finishing it - I don't want to distract you at all with this rabbit-hole... finish your project then perhaps we can attend to spritesheets etc... maybe even figure out the voxelization stuff as well... that would make a leopard very happy!~ lol
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

BasicCoder2 wrote:The concept is easy to understand and the code would be much simpler than the complex math intense drawing of 3d textured polygon graphics in real time. Just have a list of pixels with 3D positions, sort them according to distance and then call a simple 3d plot routine for each one. I was thinking about it recently when trying to draw just one set of 8 frames of 8 directions just for a simple walk sequence of a character from an isometric angle thus the reason for bringing back the topic with the 2d rotating cube again. And in the stick man which would be part of it when/if I can rotate a joint in 3 dimensions not just two for a single limb.
Yep to all of this - The whole hand-drawing multiple frames for rotation/facing of a sprite is what got me thinking of IsoVox in the first place. but then, to make such a thing even more useful, I was beginning to sketch out how a bone/joint system could work for animations (also saves ALOT of space in the Voxel model - this was one of my concerns). I really like your bone/joint demo, it shows off exactly what I was thinking... one problem I was having is how to relate each voxel to a bone (or to a bone and two joints). But animation rigging really is a far off dream at this point... just having the ability to draw a single voxel model for each frame and have IsoVoxe figure out the rotation frames is enough for me. But, I am not in a state of mind to re-open THAT can of worms right now... too many other life things occupy my limited mental facilities.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

leopardpm wrote:
BasicCoder2 wrote: I really like your bone/joint demo, it shows off exactly what I was thinking... one problem I was having is how to relate each voxel to a bone (or to a bone and two joints).
Just a 3d version of the polygons I wrapped around the car joints using maybe pixels instead of polygons.

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=23365