Most silly game ever ...

Game development specific discussions.
BasicCoder2

Re: Most silly game ever ...

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Tourist Trap wrote:I'm doing droids. Thinking about what is a droid, for example a robot that has to move in a room, or to drive on a road, I find that it is designed this way. I won't simplify outrageously this scheme. It's the theme choosen. The theme could have been " a light implementation of a simple game". But this would have meant "do a boring game", not "do a silly game" ! Then this would have been actually a crime.

In any case. The best thing to do is to learn by doing. There is nothing in the books about doing droids game. This is too much specifics. A book on robots or on programming is unlikely to treat exactly this topic, and obviously there is not any chance that it would provide programming examples in basic (or in any language).
I wasn't exactly sure what a droid was supposed to be.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droid_(robot)
"A droid is a fictional robot possessing some degree of artificial intelligence in the Star Wars science fiction franchise. Coined by special effects artist John Stears, the term is a clipped form of "android",[1] a word originally reserved for robots designed to look and act like a human.[2] The word "droid" has been a registered trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd since 1977."

So I guess you can't use the word droid in a game or game title without the say so of Lucasfilm Ltd as it is copywrite.

Although I don't play computer games I did gain some respect for those that write the games when trying to write one myself.

Tourist Trap

Re: Most silly game ever ...

Post by Tourist Trap »

BasicCoder2 wrote:So I guess you can't use the word droid in a game or game title without the say so of Lucasfilm Ltd as it is copywrite.

Although I don't play computer games I did gain some respect for those that write the games when trying to write one myself.
Hi BasicCoder2, thanks for the reminder. Yes D2R2 is the most famous droid. This can not be copyrighted in my opinion because it'a a piece of language, not a manufactured product.

Yes Lucas Art made so many good games in the past. Day of Tentacle if I'm not mistaken, Monkey Island and so on. Very funny games (adventure). You would take a lot of fun by playing them if you had not already.