libpruio (BB D/A - I/O fast and easy)

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
D.J.Peters

Re: libpruio (BB D/A - I/O fast and easy)

Post by D.J.Peters »

If you have installed libncurses make libtinfo.so.5 as a link to it thats all.

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... es#p205452

Joshy
isalameh

Post by isalameh »

Hi TJF,

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to create this great library! It has helped us a great deal in our BBB robotic project.

I saw in a previous post that in order to fix the ADC sampling speed issue, I must first replace the lines in /src/pruio/puio_adc.bas
d *= (Conf->ADC_CLKDIV + 1) * 417 '417 ≈ 1000000 / 2400 (= 1 GHz / 2.4 MHz)
d += 30 ' PRU cycles for restart [GHz]
IF Tmr <= d THEN .Errr = @"sample rate too big" : RETURN .Errr
with
d = (d * (Conf->ADC_CLKDIV + 1) * 1000) \ 24
IF Tmr <= d ORELSE Tmr < 5000 THEN _
.Errr = @"sample rate too big" : RETURN .Errr
and play with the 5000. Then compile the updated source code.

I am a noob and don't know anything about freebasic (using the library in C). I have made the above changes, and tried recompiling the library but had no luck. Is there anyway you can recompile it and upload the fixed version? I need fast ADC sampling that the current version is unable to provide.

I really appreciate all of your hard work!

Cheers,
Ihab
c136

Post by c136 »

TJF wrote:Install the -dev version.
Thank you TJF for your help and patience.

Unforunately, for Arch Linux there is no -dev version.
There is https://aur.archlinux.org/ncurses5-compat-libs.git - but this is not available for armv7h architecture.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hi Ihab, sorry for the late answer (I again don't get notification on new posts in this thread).
isalameh wrote:Is there anyway you can recompile it and upload the fixed version?
Not really, ATM.
isalameh wrote:I am a noob and don't know anything about freebasic (using the library in C). I have made the above changes, and tried recompiling the library but had no luck.
How did you compile? Which messages did you get?

@c136: :-(
sting

Post by sting »

I posted a question on Beaglebone Black forum about issues with the PWM using SysFs and you replied that I could maybe use your technology. I have a few questions, and I have to admit I haven't spent to time on your site to see for myself.

I assume by the name of your library that use are using the pru built in the beaglebone black? And you have c binding to access your library.

If this is true then is it possible to add other io to the library, does this violate the license? I have wanted to write a pru version of the DS18B20 temperature sensor. A major problem with the SysFs version is that each temp reading takes a full second, ouch! I modified a c version of the library that enabled me to measure 4 devices per second by alternating the address write with the data read. I have a project I am building, one that requires 4 temperature sensors and another that requires 8 temperature sensors. Each require 4 separate pwm circuits so if all of this is correct, I could make use of this project :)

Thanks for suggesting it to me.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hello sting, welcome at this forum!
sting wrote:I assume by the name of your library that use are using the pru built in the beaglebone black? And you have c binding to access your library.
Correct!
sting wrote:If this is true then is it possible to add other io to the library, does this violate the license? I have wanted to write a pru version of the DS18B20 temperature sensor. A major problem with the SysFs version is that each temp reading takes a full second, ouch! I modified a c version of the library that enabled me to measure 4 devices per second by alternating the address write with the data read. I have a project I am building, one that requires 4 temperature sensors and another that requires 8 temperature sensors. Each require 4 separate pwm circuits so if all of this is correct, I could make use of this project :)
The library is OpenSource, you can adapt it as you like. But it isn't easy to add a W1 driver feature without breaking the functionality.

I had a similar problem with Dallas sensors and I used the second PRU for my W1 driver. In my usecase this driver reads 9 sensors in less than a second and I have less reading failures compared to the kernel driver. The driver also has a monitoring feature that can log the bus state (@1MHz). I used this to optimize the wiring.

Unfortunately it isn't published yet. Documentation isn't ready. But I can provide a version for beta testing, if you like. (The driver depends on libpruio for pinmuxing capability.)

BR
sting

Post by sting »

Yes, I would like to test your driver. I just moved to the latest kernel for the beaglebone and I have to remove all of the bloatware and understand how to build qt applications.

Thank you for your offer.
sting

Post by sting »

In my frustration with the pwm pins I move to a newer kernel to see if that was the problem. I decided to use your library :) but it doesn't seem to work on the 4.x kernel. The 4.x kernel has only the universal overlay loaded with no room for your overlay. Is this something you are going to change to or should I go to the 3.x kernel? It doesn't matter to me either way.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hello!
sting wrote:Yes, I would like to test your driver.
I uploaded the project at https://github.com/DTJF/libpruw1
sting wrote:I just moved to the latest kernel for the beaglebone ...
Not the best idea. In kernel version >4.x the path for ocp in /sys/devices changed. The current libpruio version 0.2 was published before that change. There're other problems with capemgr as well. So it's recommended to use kernel 3.8.x (Debian 7.9).
sting wrote:... and I have to remove all of the bloatware and understand how to build qt applications.
Qt? Really? Good luck!

BR
TJF

Post by TJF »

sting wrote:IThe 4.x kernel has only the universal overlay loaded with no room for your overlay. Is this something you are going to change to or should I go to the 3.x kernel? It doesn't matter to me either way.
You can disable the cape_universal in /boot/uEnv.txt. Just change cape_universal=enable to cape_universal=disable. Then edit the file /etc/default/capemgr and insert CAPE=libpruio
sting

Post by sting »

TJF wrote: Qt? Really? Good luck!
I have looked at several options that can remotely deploy to the beaglebone, some are more straight forward then others. I have build Qt applications for Linux machines so I figured this wouldn't be too bad. I can run it to the linux frame buffer and not need X11 so performance will not be terrible.

I looked at uGFX at http://ugfx.org/ but they require a special make system and doesn't seem to work well with eclipse.

Do you know of any other alternatives for a simple GUI?
sting

Post by sting »

I tried to build the libpruw1 and had an error from cmake. I know you put the code out there when you didn't think it was ready so I understand if you are not ready to answer questions.

I believe I built all of the steps:
The FB compiler
cmakefbc
libpruio

when I try to build libpruw1 i get the error from cmake:

--Tool cmake_fb_deps not available -> no Fbc extensions!
CMake error at src/bas/CMakeList.txt:79 (Add_Fbc_SRC_DEPS):
unknown CMake command "ADD_FBC_SRC_DEPS".
sting

Post by sting »

I am trying to sort out why I can't cmake on libpruw1 and I have run into a couple of issues.

In order of the preperations:

i have the freebasic compiler running, I type fbc and get the usage screen.

the directory /usr/local/include/freebasic/BBB has pruio.hp, prusdrv.bi, and pruss_intc_mapping.bi

pasm is installed in /usr/local/bin and is on the path. I type pasm and get the usage screen.

cmakefbc is installed: in the build directory I type sudo make install I get a list of items that are Up-to-date and the last is
- - Up-to-date: /usr/local/bin/cmake_fb_deps

libpruio is installed, I ran example 1 and got the expected array of hex values.
if I type ldconfig -p | grep libpru I get
libprussdrvd.so (...) => /usr/lib/libprussdrvd.so
libprussdrv.so (...) => /usr/lib/libprussdrv.so
libpruio.so => /usr/local/lib/libpruio.so

when I attempt to git fb_doc by typing
git clone https://github.com/DTJF/fb_doc I am asked for a username and password. This did not happen when I installed cmakefbc

I didn't think I need the doc so I continued

I cloned the libpruw1 repository, created the build directory and cd'd to that directory
when I type cmake .. I get the error posted in the above post.

I am clearly missing something.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hello sting, sorry for my late answer. I don't check this forum often.
sting wrote:when I attempt to git fb_doc by typing
git clone https://github.com/DTJF/fb_doc I am asked for a username and password. This did not happen when I installed cmakefbc

I didn't think I need the doc so I continued
You're right, fb-doc is neccessary for documentation (and C header building) only. You shouldn't need it. Just for curiosity: What happens when you execute

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/DTJF/fb-doc
(minus instead of underscore)
sting wrote:when I try to build libpruw1 i get the error from cmake:

--Tool cmake_fb_deps not available -> no Fbc extensions!
Something went wrong when you installed cmakefbc.
sting wrote:cmakefbc is installed: in the build directory I type sudo make install I get a list of items that are Up-to-date and the last is
- - Up-to-date: /usr/local/bin/cmake_fb_deps
This message is contrary to the above message, which says this tool is not available. Is /usr/local/bin in your path? What happans when you execute the tool in your libpruw1 build directory, like

cmake_fb_deps
(you should get an error message, like "cmake_fb_deps: Too less parameters").

I guess you're having a permissions issue. This tool is root only when you build it by sudo make install. Better follow the instructions (two separate commands)

make
sudo make install
sting wrote:CMake error at src/bas/CMakeList.txt:79 (Add_Fbc_SRC_DEPS):
unknown CMake command "ADD_FBC_SRC_DEPS".
CMake doesn't find/load the Fbc language scripts. That's the most confusing part. Those scripts should be in your CMake install path (after you installed cmakefbc correctly). But they're also in the libpruw1/cmake/Modules folder and should get loaded from there (as long as you didn't comment the line "SET(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ...)" in the main CMakeLists.txt file).

I propose that you re-do the cmakefbc installation (execute in your cmakefbc/build folder):
  • remove installed files:

sudo xargs rm < install_manifest.txt
  • clean build directory

rm -r *
  • build again from scatch

cmake ..
    make clean
    sudo make install

Please post all console output for these steps here.

BR
sting

Post by sting »

Here is the console output you asked for. I rebuilt cmake_fb_deps, it is in my path for all users. For Some reason I can't seem to build the libpruw1.

an@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ sudo xargs rm < install_manifest.txt
debian@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ rm -r *
rm: remove write-protected regular file `install_manifest.txt'? y
debian@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ ls
debian@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ cmake ..
-- Tool cmake_fb_deps not available -> no Fbc extensions!
-- Check for working Fbc compiler OK ==> /usr/bin/fbc (1.01.0)
-- fb-doc tool not executable! (tried command fb-doc)
-- fb-doc tool not found ==> doc targets not available!
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/debian/cmakefbc/build
debian@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ ls
CMakeCache.txt  cmake_fb_deps  CMakeFiles  cmake_install.cmake  doxy  Makefile
debian@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ make clean
debian@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ sudo make install
Scanning dependencies of target cmake_fb_deps
[100%] Building Fbc object cmake_fb_deps/CMakeFiles/cmake_fb_deps.dir/cmake_fb_deps.bas.o
Linking Fbc executable cmake_fb_deps
[100%] Built target cmake_fb_deps
Install the project...
-- Install configuration: ""
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindFb-Doc.cmake
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/Platform
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/Platform/Windows-Fbc.cmake
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/Platform/Linux-Fbc.cmake
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeFbcInformation.cmake
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeFbcCompiler.cmake.in
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineFbcCompiler.cmake
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/UseFb-Doc.cmake
-- Installing: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestFbcCompiler.cmake
-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/cmake_fb_deps
debian@beaglebone:~/cmakefbc/build$ cd
debian@beaglebone:~$ cd /usr/local/libp*
debian@beaglebone:/usr/local/libpruw1$ ls
build  cmake  CMakeLists.txt  doxy  ReadMe.md  src
debian@beaglebone:/usr/local/libpruw1$ cd build
debian@beaglebone:/usr/local/libpruw1/build$ cmake ..
CMake Error at src/bas/CMakeLists.txt:79 (ADD_Fbc_SRC_DEPS):
  Unknown CMake command "ADD_Fbc_SRC_DEPS".

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
debian@beaglebone:/usr/local/libpruw1/build$ sudo cmake ..
CMake Error at src/bas/CMakeLists.txt:79 (ADD_Fbc_SRC_DEPS):
  Unknown CMake command "ADD_Fbc_SRC_DEPS".

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
debian@beaglebone:/usr/local/libpruw1/build$ cmake_fb_deps
cmake_fb_deps: Too less parameters